PDA

View Full Version : I finally have a gloat.....

Bonnie Campbell
02-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I won a $300 gift certificate so I've been busy at Amazon :) Got the vari-grind and the skew jigs for my wolverine ordered, Figured I'd get the outboard turning set up for my palmgren (yeah, probably a waste, but oh well), a set of chisels, and a t-square..... still shopping left to do :D

Any suggestions on the rest of my certificate? Got about 1/2 left.....

Mike A. Smith
02-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Any suggestions on the rest of my certificate? Got about 1/2 left.....

Well, you could share!;):D

Congrats Bonnie, keep us posted on the rest of the shopping trip!

EDDIE GLAZE
02-02-2008, 1:14 PM
Forget The Skew Jig, Get A Platform Rest Set It At The Required Angle For Sharpening Your Skew, Designate It Strikly For Skews. I Have The Skew Jig It Now Sits In A Drawer, Collecting Dust. Just A Suggestion. Happy Turning

Jerry Sambrook
02-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I agree with Eddie. I got one as well, and it is covered with dust still in the box
Get a second platform and dedicate it

Jerry Pittman
02-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Bonnie,
A third vote for not wasting the money on the Wolverine skew jig!!!!!!!!!! Used mine once and immediately realized I had wasted money.
Jerry

Kevin McPeek
02-04-2008, 1:53 PM
Where to start... (additional) chuck, (extra) faceplates, tools tools tools, diamond hones, power sander... The list is endless, I don't know what kind of inventory you have though.
I grind my skews by hand most of the time and set up the jig once in awhile to clean it all up and make sure all the angles are still correct.

Bonnie Campbell
02-04-2008, 3:47 PM
I had already ordered the skew jig. But I'll use it. You ain't seen how well I've screwed up my angle on my skews :o

Amazon is the pits shopping at. A few things I wanted I'd have to pay more in shipping than the item cost. So I add and subtract as I go along, looking for a good deal. I've got enough chisels (for now) I'd ordered another of the midi sets of PSI's I like. They're perfect for turkey calls. Got a sander. Who puts out a good book (Amazon OUGHT to carry books) I'd like one that has a good spread of information and has some decent projects. Asking a lot of one book I suppose... I could use another chuck, but blew to much buying Jigs and the Palmgren part....

So far all I've got on my 'wish list' is a butter dish and a muffin pan :rolleyes: I want woodworking stuff!

Barry Elder
02-04-2008, 3:56 PM
Bonnie,
Since you are shopping Amazon, I believe they carry a lot of Richard Raffan's DVDs and Books. Good material!

Jim Underwood
02-04-2008, 4:45 PM
Keith Rowley's book Woodturning A Foundation Course is always a good addition to any turner's library.

A good scroll chuck, a second bowl gouge (for a different angle of approach), a buffing system, sandpaper, passive sander, texturing tool, thin parting tool....

Lot's of stuff to spend money on...:D

robert hainstock
02-04-2008, 5:33 PM
The problem,(maybe) with the skew jig is that it will impart a slight curvature to the chisel. This is ni intirely bad, as some skews wre sold that way and may have worked pretty good. Ive done without the sharpening jig for fifty years, (weren't none). I do enjoy it now however.:):)
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-04-2008, 5:51 PM
I agree- get another chuck. Changing from pins to steps to coles to #2s and 3s is annoying.

But if you can't think of anything else to order, I'd be happy to take the rest of the giftcard off your hands! Yeah right! :D

Dean Thomas
02-04-2008, 7:51 PM
Who puts out a good book (Amazon OUGHT to carry books) I'd like one that has a good spread of information and has some decent projects. Asking a lot of one book I suppose... I could use another chuck, but blew to much buying Jigs and the Palmgren part....

... :rolleyes: I want woodworking stuff!

It really depends on what kind of projects you want, dear Bonnie!

Think USED on the books, btw. Much cheaper

Bonnie Klein's $10/new (9/used) book will give you a dozen projects that are skill builders at heart. Classic Woodturning Projects...

Yes, any of Raffan's books are super.

Woodturning Wizardry by Dave Springett challenges a lot of turners. His projects probably start at the high end of medium difficulty and range widely. Some require special tools that he tells you how to make, and that are available commercially as well.

Malcolm Tibbett's book on Art of Segmented Woodturning is also very good, but more instructional than project oriented, IMO. Anyone else want to comment on that particular point? Too long ago, I loaned my copy (silly me) to a friend, so I can't speak precisely to this.

There are really great books out there on a variety of specific type projects. Several books on penturning. Dick Sing on ornaments and eggs, birdhouse ornaments, pens and other stuff. I counted at least 9 books on Amazon. More might be found at Shiffer's website. I love the stuff that's IN his books, I'm just not thrilled at Shiffer's binding quality. Great pix, lots of color, super good explanations usually with lots of variations on the theme. My birdhouse ornaments shown in an earlier post came from this book with more to come still!

Hilary Bowen did a neat book on turning jewelry that is FULL of interesting ideas if that intrigues you.

S. Gary Roberts did an incredible book on Masterful Woodturning that is full of projects and things that most of us can't begin to imagine how they were accomplished. This book is partly inspiration, partly instruction, with a whole lot of gloating by some named and unnamed craftsmen & artists.

Another inspiration book/coffee table book is one that features 500 different projects. In fact it's called 500 Wood Bowls. I think there are several in the "500" series that deal with turned objects. Lark Books. 500 Bowls is about ceramic bowls, but the book is still a great source for shapes. Check out some of Lark Books (http://www.larkbooks.com/catalog?section_key=34&limit=10) other offerings.

Mike Darlow's books are full of stuff to do, again most are not for the novice.

Many of these books are available at or through your public library and Inter-Library Loan programs so that you could preview them before you try and buy.

Many of these are also available in your local woodturner chapters and clubs. Those are free to borrow!!

Hope that helps.

Bonnie Campbell
02-04-2008, 8:40 PM
Okay, blew a bit of my budget on Valentine's Day stuff for hubby. He deserves it :) Ordered him a big can of escargot and a very nice picture poem..... now I'll be looking for books again lol

I definitely need some how to books. So off to look......

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-04-2008, 8:49 PM
WTG Bonnie!

How are you fixed for Chucks?

Bruce

Dennis Peacock
02-04-2008, 9:36 PM
Way to go Bonnie!!!!! All I ever win is a hard time. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bonnie Campbell
02-04-2008, 10:15 PM
A chuck needs to be in my near future also. Might just whine a bit to get one since any that Amazon carries is beyond what I've left.

Still looking at books though, and ????..... It's like being a little kid in the candy store (in them bygone days) and ya only have a dime to spend lol

Bonnie Campbell
02-05-2008, 8:33 AM
Okay, went book shopping :D

Richard Raffan galore...

Richard Raffan's Turning Guide: Turning Wood, Turning Boxes, and Turning bowls (three book set)

Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning, Richard Raffin

Turning Projects, Richard Raffan

$28 to go......

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 9:21 AM
Congrats, Bonnie! It's always fun to buy stuff and even nicer when someone else provides the funds! LOL :D

Eugene Malone
02-14-2008, 6:33 PM
Thank you on a very varied selection of Books, you have catered for the needs of many. I just hope I can get them over here in Ireland. Well done Sir, Regards Boysie39

robert hainstock
02-14-2008, 7:55 PM
If you Think of a bowl video, go withgrumbines 1st work. best teaching video I've seen. Raffans video is not much help without the book too. :)
Bob