PDA

View Full Version : MW Antique Oil

Roger Bell
02-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Is an oil-varnish mix. It appears to be heavier on the oil than most o/v mixes, such as Watco. Does anyone know what kind of oil is in A.O.?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Roger, I dont' have a clue but I sure do like using the stuff!

Steven Bolton
02-02-2008, 1:41 PM
Is this Minwaw Antique Oil? I like it. Can you still get it?

steve bolton

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2008, 1:49 PM
I order mine though my local Ace Hardware. They don't stock but can order it.

Allen Schmid
02-02-2008, 2:11 PM
Same here, it seems like Ace Hardware has the market on the Minwax Antique Oil. It really does a nice job for a finish, easy to wipe on and you can get a deep look to it with a few coats. It really shows off the wood grain.
Allen

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2008, 2:22 PM
I get mine at ACE hardware store. They order it in pints or quarts for me. I believe it is linseed oil based and mineral spirit based I think that is what I have read in a article by Ernie Conover. Do not leave rags or paper towels laying around because this stuff is highly flammable. I spread them out on concrete to dry and once dry then you can dispose of the brushes, rags or paper towels.

Mike A. Smith
02-02-2008, 2:24 PM
I bought out the local Ace store (some of the cans even had rust on them!), they said they could order more when I wanted it. Apparently, it's mostly a turners thing these days.

Jim Becker
02-02-2008, 5:56 PM
Likely linseed oil is used as the base for this product.

Jerry Pittman
02-02-2008, 7:07 PM
Roger, et al,
I get mine at my local Menard's. If you have one near you, you might get lucky and find it there for less. I think I paid about $8.00 for a quart and judging from other things that both stores carry, Menard's is probably cheaper than Ace, etc.
YMMV,
Jerry

Marvin Hasenak
02-02-2008, 11:50 PM
That is cheap I paid $7.95 for a pint, and at the time thought I had a bargain. But it was special order and only available at a local family owned lumber yard. No one else would even look for it. So I guess it is still a bargain.

Marvin

Brian McInturff
02-03-2008, 8:05 AM
Wow, with such price differences between the 2 stores I wonder if a group buy could be done. Let me check with the guy who owns the only Ace left here and see if he'll give me some contacts. If it looks like I can get it for around 5-6 a quart(in gallon or 5 gallon cans) then I think it might be worthwhile. Obviously if Menards can sell it at 8 a quart and Ace wants 8 a pint then there should be some wiggle room with the distributer.
I've not used any since the mid 1980's when I use to refinish furniture on the side as a part time business.

Burt Alcantara
02-03-2008, 1:37 PM
Funny, I can get it a Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart and sometimes Ace.

If one wanted to make a similar home brew what would that recipe look like?

Thanks,
Burt

robert hainstock
02-03-2008, 4:56 PM
Think inventory control, and we might have some insight as to why we can find it one place and not another. If it sets on the shelf for a long time and isn't moving and gets closed out, or the vendor doesn't think it will sell; you will most likely have to order it. create a percieved need by asking for it everytime you are in the store.;););)
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-03-2008, 8:36 PM
I get mine at the Penn State Showroom down the road. (It's a small luxury.) To make your own, I think you'd use some BLO, but I'm not sure about the rest.