PDA

View Full Version : People with cordless tools, still use corded ones?

Deuce Lee
02-02-2008, 9:37 AM
For those of you with nice cordless tools, like recip, circular, jig saw, etc..., do you find yourself reaching for those more often then your more powerful corded tools?

if so, what percentage would you say you use the cordless vs the corded?

i know it's "depends on the job" kinda thing, but say even that, how about just purely based on your typical week or whatever, what percent do you use of each?

Lee Koepke
02-02-2008, 9:40 AM
i have a cordless drill, sander, circ saw

i use my corded hammer drill for concrete, and my smaller 3/8 drill doesnt even work, so rarely on the drill

the sander i use 50/50. smaller tasks and touchups, cordless, most all else corded

circ saw, 95% corded. my vintage rockwell is just way too stable to pass up.

Glenn Clabo
02-02-2008, 9:45 AM
About the only time I use my corded drill is when I use pocket screws and on concrete.

James Wellman
02-02-2008, 9:48 AM
Still use my corded hammer drill.... sometimes or if the hole I need is really big. I just hung some workshop cabinets on my cinder block walls and used my Milwaukee cordless drill with the hammer option and it worked great.

I rarely pull out my big DeWalt circular saw unless I am cutting a lot, like helping a friend with a deck.

Deuce Lee
02-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Still use my corded hammer drill.... sometimes or if the hole I need is really big. I just hung some workshop cabinets on my cinder block walls and used my Milwaukee cordless drill with the hammer option and it worked great.

I rarely pull out my big DeWalt circular saw unless I am cutting a lot, like helping a friend with a deck.

that's a good point James, if one's doing a decent project like a jungle gym or deck, a cordless is not going to cut it (pund intended)...

i guess i'm debating if i should KEEP my ridgid 18v 8 piece cordless kit i bought for $270 new, or sell that and get the ridgid 24v cordless tools (recip, circular, jig), or screw that all together and spend a little more and get nice corded tools, say makita or bosch barrel jig saw, milwaukee or ridgid swivel recip saw, and makita or other good corded circular saw...

the thing is i'm only a weekend warrior, i'm thinking i should keep the cordless because it's convenient and i'm not going to be demanding all that much from them, then again i'm just hoping i won't regret buying the corded tools from the start cus it's more powerful...:o

so why don't you guys also mention what do you use your tools for and if you do it regulary or is it just weekend projects...

John Hain
02-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I tried to go cordless about a year ago for whatever reason.

Ditto on the corded hammer drill when going into concrete.

I reach for the cordless circ saw first, but it dies down quickly. I find this tool is more helpful outside. It works well trimming big tree limbs, adjusting a fence, etc. For woodworking, if you put in anything more "toothed" than the factory blade, the battery's life is just horrible. If you keep the rougher cut blade on, then the battery life is more manageable, but the cut sucks. Of course, my other option is a corded crapola B&D that will NOT die. I'm trying to kill it. I really am. I really think a FESTOOL would fit well into my workshop....:D But that's the problem with 20-year-old B&D tools....they don't die as easily as the new ones.

I ALWAYS reach for my cordless jigsaw. That thing is beautiful. It was my bandsaw before I got my bandsaw.......now I can actually cut curves on a real machine. My poor jigsaw won't know what hit him.

I use a cordless recip saw. I does just fine. No problems. I'm finishing my basement and it works like a champ.
I ALWAYS reach for my cordless drill for wood projects. That thing is WELL used in my shop. I went for the 18V Makita on Eb*y, and that was probably the best purchase I've made. No problem with pocket screws.

Deuce Lee
02-02-2008, 10:45 AM
yeah i think everyone uses a cordless drill over a corded unless its for hammer purposes, personally i don't think any man is complete without at least a decent cordless drill

but i guess i'm more concern with other cordless saws...

Jim Becker
02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
There are some tasks that a cordless tool, while being workable, doesn't give the ideal performance. I use an old corded drill/driver for doing pocket screw holes. It has the speed and power to do the job for long periods of time. I use a corded reciprocating saw 'cause when I pull one of those out, it's because I need to do some heavy duty cutting. Both of my circular saws are corded...the old B&D from the 1970s (still going strong) for framing work and the Festool for "fine woodworking". Corded makes sense there.

Honestly, the only cordless tools I actually use are my drill/drivers; a Dewalt 14.4v and my beloved Festool TDK 12v. Those absolutely make sense to be portable and cordless.

While my nail guns have "tails", my general contractor's team uses several Paselode untethered guns for all the finish work. On the days I helped with the wide pine flooring, I had the opportunity to shoot those guns a bit and I have to say I'm very impressed. For finish carpentry, I'd buy one of those in a second if I were going to be doing a lot of it. Absolutely makes sense, even with the extra cost of the guns and the "power supplies". But for in the shop...a hose is no big deal...and the same applies for small home improvement projects for which I have a small portable compressor.

Victor Stearns
02-02-2008, 3:05 PM
I agree that the use of cordless drills definitely is the first one I grab. However I still have and use my Milwaukee HoleShooter for the really heavy drilling.
I also have a cordless circl. and recep. saws. I like them again for the quick, light work, but usually reach for something with a cord for the heavy or more continuous work.
Victor

glenn bradley
02-02-2008, 3:08 PM
Drills, I go cordless unless the job requires the higher speeds that cordless don't reach (pocket holes for example). I'd love a good cordless circ-saw but for the price of a 'real one' and the frequency that I break down sheet goods, I'll keep the cord. I have two overhead 12ga reels in the shop so corded tools (and the rewinding of extension cords) aren't really much trouble. I guess I would only go cordless on anything besides a drill if I had to, due to the job location.

Gary Keedwell
02-02-2008, 3:31 PM
Pocket hole joinery. As a matter of fact, I store my corded drill with my pocket hole set-up.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/NewEnglandPatriots1.gif Go Pats

Gary

Russ Massery
02-02-2008, 3:36 PM
Same here I have a corded drill for my pocket hole jig. I use it for other task's but rarely.

Bill Ryall
02-02-2008, 3:55 PM
Usually use corded tools in the shop with the exception of using a cordless driver with clutch for fasteners.

Work in the field, I also prefer corded, unless the cord is going to be a real PITA, like up on a ladder.

jason lambert
02-02-2008, 4:11 PM
Well I am also a weekend warrior but use cordless mostly. I would say the only thing I don't use a cordless for regulary is the circular saw. The cordless one dies to quick. Also I will use my 18V dewal for a hammer drill most of the time I may go through a batt but it is still easer than pulling out the Bosh, although the bosh is easer to drill. The corded rotozip is also much better with lights and speed control than the single speed DeWalt, i perfer the cordless but the corded one is just a better tool so I use them about 50/50.

I alwas use a cordles sawsall, this is increadbley handy for cutting trees wood etc. Cordless screwdrivers alwas, cordless impact driver. main thing is you get one kit with the same battery so you can just swap them out around tools and alwas have one in charge.

Rich Schneider
02-02-2008, 4:16 PM
Yes, my circular saw is corded since it seems that I wear down batteries too fast in the battery one I have....plus my 1/2" and 3/4" hammer drills are since I drill through lots of thick metal and concrete with them...my jig saw is corded too.....everything else is battery

Rich Engelhardt
02-02-2008, 7:07 PM
Hello,
Yes - IMNSHO, both have their place.

John Shuk
02-02-2008, 7:54 PM
Personally I prefer to buy corded tools. I don't get into the shop for long periods of time due to the fact that I have 3 sons ages 6 1/2, 5, and 2. I don't like the idea of cordless batteries not getting their exercise so for me corded is the way to go. I do love my Milwaukee 12 volt drill though. It has been around a long time and works well. I just don't get the life from the batteries that I used to. My oldest son has been very interested in ww'ing so we have been spending some time with neander tools and that has been very satisfying.

Randal Stevenson
02-02-2008, 8:34 PM
I may or may not have lost my job over this one. Yesterday, the boss (one of them), ran down the hill to fetch the drill that was bought for the shop (shop tools disappear to their homes, then they are inconvienent when we need them, emergency use). He B........ at me that the drills battery couldn't be dead, as he had left it in the charger (that shuts off when charged), 3 or 4 months ago. (budget Ryobi drill is perfect for as often as we need it).

At home, I tend to buy corded tools, except for my old and my current cordless drills and impact driver. I have tried saws (circular and recriprocating), and they don't last long enough for me. When I need a hammer drill, I NEED a hammer drill, so that is corded as well.
Then I have two regular corded drills; one setup for the Kreg jig, and one for metal work (automotive and drilling out broken things).

Each has its place, but the best value for me is tailed power tools.

Jerry Thompson
02-02-2008, 9:04 PM
I saw my neighbor using his cordless tools. He had a saw, sander and a drill. From my standpoint the drill would be the only one I would use. The others run out of oomph too fast.
I have a Mikita 3/8" cordless that my son bought me more years ago that I can remember. I use it a great deal and with two batteries it does most of what I need. It has yet to go to the repair guy. When It does die the funeral will be with full Woodworking Honors.
Jerry

Deuce Lee
02-02-2008, 11:06 PM
it seems that the general consensus is that the only decent cordless tool to have is a cordless drill or impact, saws will run out of juice too fast and isn't going to cut it for most decent size jobs...

right now i'm going to lean towards getting nice corded stuff other then the drill then...thanks everyone...

if u got more cents to throw in, feel free to do so...

glenn bradley
02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I saw my neighbor using his cordless tools. He had a saw, sander and a drill. From my standpoint the drill would be the only one I would use. The others run out of oomph too fast.
I have a Mikita 3/8" cordless that my son bought me more years ago that I can remember. I use it a great deal and with two batteries it does most of what I need. It has yet to go to the repair guy. When It does die the funeral will be with full Woodworking Honors.
Jerry

Don't strike up the funeral drum just yet. I have an old 9.6v Makita that I was going to replace But, REALLY didn't want to because I am so used to its compact size and great balance. I finally decided to try out the battery rebuild route. Wow, better than new. Had the batts built to the next mAh level and they really kick. I used to go through both batteries in one session in the shop (remember these poor batts are 8-9 years old). The other day I realized I had been using the same rebuilt batt for several days(!?!). Had a pair of DeWalts and my two Makitas rebuilt and upgraded for less than a new drill with wimpy batts. Whoo-hoo.

Randal Stevenson
02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Don't strike up the funeral drum just yet. I have an old 9.6v Makita that I was going to replace But, REALLY didn't want to because I am so used to its compact size and great balance. I finally decided to try out the battery rebuild route. Wow, better than new. Had the batts built to the next mAh level and they really kick. I used to go through both batteries in one session in the shop (remember these poor batts are 8-9 years old). The other day I realized I had been using the same rebuilt batt for several days(!?!). Had a pair of DeWalts and my two Makitas rebuilt and upgraded for less than a new drill with wimpy batts. Whoo-hoo.

Glenn, which style of battery was it? The stick or the other?

I am not sure whether the stick is rebuildable do to its case design, is why I am asking.

Art Mann
02-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Drilling dowel holes with a Dowelmax is quicker and easier with a corded drill. That and pocket screws are the only applications I have right now for my corded drill. Actually, until recently, I used the cordless for pocket screws too.

Ron Dunn
02-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Art, why is a cordless quicker for drilling?

Ed Jolin
02-03-2008, 12:47 AM
I guess I've never given it a thought when buying my hand tools; If I were only to have one of a tool, it would be corded. If I were buying a second or third, I might consider cordless.

Peter Quadarella
02-03-2008, 1:06 AM
I have pretty much all the Bosch cordless tools. IMO, they are all as good as corded tools, and much more convenient. The key is having at least 3 batteries and 2 chargers. In this way, there is always a fully charged one, even if you use them almost continuously.

The only reason I have a corded circular saw is that the Bosch cordless is only a 6+ incher and I needed something bigger and with a brake. I wish they would sell a larger CMS, although I don't use that much anymore. The other big downside to cordless is cost - they tend to be much more expensive. However, in terms of usage, I don't think there is much of a difference anymore - the cordless stuff today is very powerful.

Michael Lutz
02-03-2008, 8:30 AM
About 10 years ago I bought a Dewalt cordless set with a drill and a cordless circular saw. I still use the drill, but the saw didn't have enough power to get through just about anything. It turned me off getting anything else cordless. I use a corded drill if I need a 1/2" drill, a hammer drill, or when my single battery dies. I did get a Bosch impact driver for christmas, which I have been using for most driving tasks.

Mike

Larry Rasmussen
02-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I've had ryobi cordless for several yrs, tried DeWalt and some others briefly. Hobby guy here so observations are from the shop, not field. I agree with many who find cordless drills excellent for almost 100% of jobs and a cordless circular saw useless for almost 100% of jobs.

The suprise is how much I like my cordless makita jig saw. I had tried a cordless ryobi and corded Festool and Bosch jig saws. Took the Festool back, didn't like the visability of cut line (lack of visability I guess). Took a bosch back after a short trial, the model previous to the latest. Given my enjoyment of the Makita Cordless Nicad drill I picked up 6 mos ago I bought the jig saw. I can't testify that it cuts much better or worse than the Festool or Bosch but it sure is more convenient to use. It sits where I can just reach out for it from my main work area. There is a light that helps with visibility that is excellent. It takes the T type blades from Bosch or Festool also.

Peter Quadarella
02-03-2008, 1:10 PM
If you haven't tried these things recently, you might want to check them out again. My cordless circular saw cuts through pressure treated 4x4s pretty easily (in 2 passes ;) ) and the Bosch jigsaw has never struggled with anything I threw at it. I use the 18v set.

Deuce Lee
02-03-2008, 2:07 PM
cool thanks Peter, I think i will give these new cordless tools a try...

i figure if i get another battery, total of 3 or so, then two should last the 30 mins it takes one to charge...

Art Mann
02-03-2008, 2:13 PM
Art, why is a cordless quicker for drilling?

:confused: Did I say that?

Ron Dunn
02-03-2008, 4:25 PM
Doh!! No, Art, you clearly said "CORDED" and for some stupid reason I read it as "cordLESS".

Thomas Canfield
02-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I often use a corded drill with end mill for pen blanks. It seems to have more power, speed, and holds up when doing a large number of blanks. For a few blanks, the cordless is the drill I pick up.

Gene Michael
02-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Use a cordless drill to drive screws and drill an occasional small pilot hole, but it runs out of juice for bigger jobs. For outside chores (bracing for the pasture fences, trimming with the recip saw, etc.), I use corded tools and a 2000 watt generator. In the shop, almost always use corded because of the higher power.

Anthony Fields
02-04-2008, 6:19 AM
Call me old fashioned. When we built the staircase in my house my carpenter neighbor continuted to drive 3 in screws with his Dewalt 18v as I watched him replace battery after batter. I just kept going with my Craftsman corded drill. Yes I still like a corded drill. I also have have the Milwaukee 1/2" hammer drill for kicks. But, the torque is so much better on a constant power tool then a battery tool. Now if I was doing cabinets or small drilling, I'd likely buy the 14v Dewalt due to size. But, I'll stick to my corded drills for power any day. It's all based on the job you're doing at the time.

Jim Becker
02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Anthony illustrates exactly the way the stair guy worked here in support of our addition project. He had three corded drills and one cordless. The latter was only used for drilling the smallest of the pilot holes. All the 'real work' was handled by the corded tools. So I agree...pick the right tool for the job.