PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly mortising attachment set up?

keith ouellette
02-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I didn't measure my quill on my drill press and as a result the mortising cone was a little loose.

I shaved 3 finish nails and stuck them (one in the back and the other two an equal space away from the back) on the sleeve with epoxy.
I have only done a couple of test drills and it works though it does smoke a little.
Can anyone see a problem with this as far as alignment or anything else you can think of?

Pat Germain
02-02-2008, 12:07 AM
You actually got a drill press mortising attachment to work? I used to watch Norm use one of those in the early days of NYW. I did some online research and couldn't find a single example of anyone getting a drill press mortising attachment to work. I found numerous examples of frustration and futility. One reviewer literally took his out back and threw it into the woods.

keith ouellette
02-02-2008, 12:21 AM
You actually got a drill press mortising attachment to work? I used to watch Norm use one of those in the early days of NYW. I did some online research and couldn't find a single example of anyone getting a drill press mortising attachment to work. I found numerous examples of frustration and futility. One reviewer literally took his out back and threw it into the woods.

I am curious to know in what capacity they didn't work? I will admit it I don't think it is nearly as good as a mortis machine but it did work. I have only drilled for 1/2" holes though. Its a simple device and i can't see how they all wouldn't work to some extent if you have one that fits your drill press. I was lucky enough that mine was only a little to big.

Pat Germain
02-02-2008, 12:34 AM
As I recall, common complaints were that a drill press couldn't provide enough leverage/downforce and the inability to keep it aligned.

keith ouellette
02-02-2008, 12:41 AM
As I recall, common complaints were that a drill press couldn't provide enough leverage/downforce and the inability to keep it aligned.

It was a little hard to push down and there was some smoke but i think that was because there is a cheap bit and a bad fit between the bit and the hollow chisel. As to alignment I haven't used it enough to tell.

so far for the money i don't think its bad but it will depend on how long these bits last.

keith ouellette
02-02-2008, 8:13 AM
Well; I made those little metal shims pretty late last night and now I am going to cut some mortises with it. I would still like to hear from the resident engineer or someone that has the same set up.