PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Bowl Screw-up #2

Dale Gregory
02-01-2008, 10:21 PM
This is the 2nd spalted maple bowl I've messed up. I made a funnel out of the first one. This one is 13" x 7", Danish Oil and buffed. It had some thin cracks starting from the edges in. I got it down to about 3/8" and blam, a small catch and then there was two....pieces that is. One piece still attached to the chuck and one bounced off my face shield, no injuries other than pride. Separated from one of the original cracks to another on the opposite side. You can see the line in the photo. I let it sit for a few days, then glued it back together and finished it for practice. I was playing with the side design and kind of looks like a bee hive. The LOML likes it even with the filled in crack. In the right light it kind of looks like a long spalt line. I didn't get a super tight fit when re-gluing it and if you hold it up to the light some parts of the glue line look clear which makes it look like.......well a crack again! Should have used black epoxy, and should have filled the cracks before turning, lesson learned. Thought you might enjoy the adventure.

A question for you all, I was turning this to give to my friend who saved me a few pieces from his tree before the city hauled it away. My wife said it looks good, go ahead and give it to him. I'm on the other fence, kind of feel funny giving someone a piece that has been repaired. What are your thoughts?

Dale

EDDIE GLAZE
02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Nise Save, Mine End Up In The Wood Box For Burning

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Dale,

Nice save! Great lesson.

I often use instant coffee crystals mixed with epoxy to fill cracks. Let it dry overnight or longer and turn it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Great save on the bowl Dale. If the wife likes it then it must be ok.:D

robert hainstock
02-02-2008, 9:04 AM
I'm a cheap old guy, (stingy?) I've never met a piece of figured wood that I would throw away because it wasn't perfect. If you don't say antthing, I'll bet your neighbor won"t notice, or care.:):):)
Bob

Greg Just
02-02-2008, 9:09 AM
I'd give it to him - it is a nice looking bowl

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Dale - glad you didn't get hurt when the bowl exploded! I know how exciting that can get!! Beautiful wood - I agree with your wife - nice looking bowl and you should give it to your friend! Better luck on the next one!

Tom Sherman
02-02-2008, 1:41 PM
Dale considering the difficulties you encountered turning this one, I'ld say it turned out pretty good. I agree with LOYL go ahead and give it to your friend.

Glenn Hodges
02-02-2008, 3:23 PM
Dale, you are probably a little like me. I am a bit to critical of my work. My wife tells me not to point out the errors of my ways, but let the admirers enjoy the piece for themselves. I agree with others, if your wife likes it your friend will problably thank you for such a lively gift. After all it is wood, God made it, and me and neither is perfect.

Bill Wyko
02-02-2008, 5:31 PM
Nice piece. As far as the repair goes, that just means it comes with a story to tell. I charge extra for that.:D