PDA

View Full Version : Which pinner to buy?

Jay Yoder
02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi all. I need to pick up a pinner to attach some shoe molding to the underside of the new countertops. What does everyone have and/or recommend. I am not sure how much i will use it after this initial project, but i would figure that once i had one I would find more uses for it. I am thinking either the Grex 630 or the Grex 635 right now. I have read less than glowing reviews of the P-C and the Bostich. I already have 16ga and 18 ga finish nailers and a stapler. I don't want to overspend, but I do want to buy quality that will last and meet my needs.

Jack Porter
02-01-2008, 10:27 PM
I've had pretty good luck with the P-C, some underdriven but nothing unexpected

Dave Falkenstein
02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
...but I do want to buy quality that will last and meet my needs.

Based on your criteria, Grex. I don't see the need to shoot long pins, myself, so I'd opt for one of the less costly models that shots shorter pins. I bought a Grex a couple of years ago and it performs flawlessly. The only thing I wish were different is the trigger safety mechanism - not a deal breaker, but less than optimal, IMHO. Look and handle one and test the trigger yourself.

Bob Roberts
02-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I have the Grex P650 and I love it. Not a lot of occasions to use 2" pins but it is nice to have that option.

Denny Rice
02-02-2008, 12:34 AM
I own the Bostitch pinner. I purchased it last spring when Amazon had it on sale. I really like the pinner a lot, the only thing I find wierd with this pinner is it does not like Bostitch pins. I have had a lot of sucess with P-C pins in the Bostitch pinner.........Go figure.:)

John Keeton
02-02-2008, 9:15 AM
I vote Grex. Had mine over 2 years and absolutely no complaints.

Cary Falk
02-02-2008, 9:54 AM
I bought the Air Locker P630 from Toolsmart (I think) for $60 and I am happy with it. Othere people are happy with one of the HF ones.

Jim Becker
02-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I think the Grex offerings give a lot for the money and when I upgrade from the limited pin capacity of my old Accuset, it will likely be one of those striking green things! But the Nickel and a few others are very nice if you want higher end...

Paul Kinneberg
02-02-2008, 10:47 PM
I just bought the Grex 635 and I love it so far.

frank shic
02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
the grex 635 goes on sale on amazon.com every so often if you're not in a rush.

Chris Schoolland
02-03-2008, 2:16 AM
is available from senco for their pinner which solves the underdriven pin problem. I found out about it after I got rid of it in frustration and bought the grex 645L, which is fantastic.

Ken Shoemaker
02-03-2008, 8:31 AM
I'm happy with the PC. I too get the underdriven pins, but NOT very often.

Greg Deakins
02-03-2008, 9:14 AM
quoted from tauntons 2008 tool guide....

"the NIKLE has a nearly ideal combination of size, wieght, capacity, and power"

They voted it the best overall, Nikle NS2340. for your application, a few times of use, I would go with the Bostich, for $120.

-Greg

Per Swenson
02-03-2008, 9:48 AM
My Nickel time.

I buy my tools, not from magazine opinions,

but from the real world opinion of people in the trade.

I also suffer from the luxury of being able to purchase

more then one.

With that being said, all the top brands are good guns and

do what they say.

Grex however invented the pinner and my two have withstood

a professional beating.

Per

Greg Deakins
02-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Oh the magazine was stating that features such as being able to hold two clips, having a longer tip for tighter spots, never jamming, and being able to use brads or pins. So they rated it best overall. I usually don't follow a magazines' opinion either, no matter how many people they have formerly in the field testing them. Thats great though you buy in quantity, Per, and have that luxury. Just gotta be able to make something good from it all.

jason lambert
02-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Grex, I have two of them and love them.

Steve knight
02-03-2008, 12:53 PM
the senco really sucked it always jammed and had problems. the Bostitch worked well till the psi was over 90 and I killed the seals.

Gary Keedwell
02-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Grex, I have two of them and love them.
I have a Grex and so far...so good. Also, in defense of magazine testing, I think they give alot of important information about the products, and am glad that they do what they do. Having said that....I also like to listen to real people who put the product through it's paces, both in the home shop and "out in the field".
Gary

Jim Becker
02-03-2008, 2:21 PM
Based on the circumstances I ran into with a project this weekend, I pulled the trigger on a Grex 635 about a minute ago. I really need the longer pin capacity than I have with my current Accuset and 18 gage brads are just too visible.

Jay Yoder
02-03-2008, 6:39 PM
I will go grex...hope it goes on sale soon!@! Thanks for all your valuable input!!

Dustin Thompson
02-03-2008, 6:56 PM
The max is a great pinner-it is identical to either the cadex or the grex, don't remember which.

I had a bostitch, and was not impressed with it at all. Lacking in the power department.

Was just checking out the cadex and the grex, they both look quite similar.

Good luck!

Dustin

Dave Verstraete
02-03-2008, 9:16 PM
I have a Paslode that has worked well for me for 15 years

Bill Jepson
02-04-2008, 2:57 PM
OK, I have the Grex 2" I have had excellent results. Pins are just where they should be, slightly recessed and yes be careful with that trigger! High marks generally. I don't really use the 2" capacity much, but it is nice to have available. I must say though that this tool better be near perfect since it costs almost twice the price of the PC. I know, only cry once... I have never used the Nikle pinner, but I doubt it could be much better. Just providing all the facts.
Bill J

Barry Nelson
02-04-2008, 4:58 PM
Pardon my ignorance,but what is a pinner, is it a bradder,or something smaller?

Jim Becker
02-04-2008, 5:23 PM
Pardon my ignorance,but what is a pinner, is it a bradder,or something smaller?

A pin nailer uses headless wire fasteners; typically 23 gage. (Brads are typically 18 or 16 gage and MUCH thicker in that respect) The reasoning is that the hole is so small, that they "disappear" merely with normal finishing. Pinners have become increasingly popular for many of the tasks were you want to use a mechanical fastener while glue dries without them sticking out and being visible.

Greg Deakins
02-06-2008, 9:15 AM
I feel it may be a good idea to mention to those that are unfamilier with a pinner, about the added danger of not being able to find the fastener, should it go where it wasn't intended, such as in a finger. I've heard "stories", tales or whatever about losing a pin in a finger, and it travelling inside the bloodstream. Regardless of the authenticity of that claim I heard, it does seem like it might be difficult to find should that happen. Having shot myself with a crown staple before, and known numorous other self-shot victims, I know the likelyhood and figured it would be worth mentioning... -Greg

John Viercinski
02-06-2008, 9:27 AM
Nothing an X-Ray can't clear up!

Peter Quadarella
02-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I sometimes use 5/8" 18 gauge brads to attach templates to pieces I am flush trimming, when the pieces are for outside or otherwise not fine use. The templates are easy to pull off and I remove the brads after I'm done.

Would I be able to do this with a pinner and be left with a smaller hole?

Bill White
02-06-2008, 10:34 AM
I bought the Air Locker P630 from Toolsmart (I think) for $60 and I am happy with it. Othere people are happy with one of the HF ones.

Ditto Cary.
Air Locker here too.
Bill

Dennis Hatchett
02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
the senco really sucked it always jammed and had problems. the Bostitch worked well till the psi was over 90 and I killed the seals.

Senco Sucked. I've owned all the sencos at one time or another and none of them has ever sucked. I'm not doubting your opinion but that hasn't been my experience at all.

My senco has never failed once. No jams, misfires, etc... It's one of my favorites. Almost don't need the brad nailer anymore.

Jim Becker
02-06-2008, 12:02 PM
My Grex 635 just arrived...I'm quite impressed with this tool and look forward to using it. Of course, the package of 1 3/8" pins that was "exploded" in the shipping box didn't make my day, especially all the pins out on the driveway that slipped through the cracks. Time to contact customer service!

But back to the tool. Sturdy looking and everything operates smoothly. The double trigger safety setup will take a little getting used to, but I suspect it will not take long. I'm actually impressed with the plastic case, too...actually compact and usable with flat sides and everything. No funky shapes to make storage a pain. (despite that, the tool will likely rarely be in a case...just like all the others in my shop that are under my bench and easy to reach)

"Gary Brewer"
02-06-2008, 1:52 PM
Jay: The Cadex and the Nikle pin nailers shoot slight-headed brads as well as the headless pin nails. The slight headed brads draw the wood being nailed towards the surface it is being nailed on with some force. The headless does not. The boards with the headless pins can be pulled right off until any glue sets. The cadex ( two larger models ) and nikle are premium nailers just like the grex. All three are (or were last year) around the same price points. With the increases functionality of the slight headed brads if you were gong to spend the big money I would get one of them ( cadex, nikle ). As the previous gentleman said though, if you are going to use it a few times I would go with one of the more reasonable nailers. I have the cadex and have experimented shooting both headless and slight-headed nails and the holding power of the slight-headed nails is multiple times that of the headless nails. The hole for the slight-headed to me aren't much different then the headless but then my eyes aren't what they use to be. After you get a finish and a brad nailers the pin nailers are a very nice addition.