PDA

View Full Version : TriStar Lathe...ever heard of one??

David Gunn
02-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Has anyone here ever heard of a TriStar Lathe. It is made in China. It has a 3/4 hp motor. The bed looks to be about 36"-40" or so. I can get one real cheap. I really don't need a lathe and have never used one. But it is one of those to good to pass up deals. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it. I can get a set of cheap gouges and such thrown in for free, which makes it harder to pass up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

robert hainstock
02-02-2008, 9:21 AM
Google can't find it, so I'd be real leary of it and take a long hard look at the way it is built. Are the ways cast iron , angle iron, tubuler? what Dia. and TPI is the headstock? is it bench top, or on legs? I'd have to evaluate it on close inspection. If the asking price is realy cheap, Why? If not, what better known amchine can I get for my money? If some other Creekers weigh in here with Positive accounts-------.
Scepticle!!!:eek::eek:
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I couldn't find it either. I used 3 different search engines with no luck. So that would be my first warning flag. If something goes wrong can you find parts or are you out of the money you spent to buy it. If I were you I would look at the Rikon Midi or the Jet 1220 for a 12" swing. Or get the Jet 1014, Delta midi or Rikon midi. You will be money ahead. I myself wouldn't touch it.

Clem Wixted
02-02-2008, 5:28 PM
Hi David,

If the lathe is in the Jonesboro area I can check it out wth you.

I'm in the phone book or email me.

I looked at some motors your company had quite a while back.

I own 4 lathes so I have something to compare it to.

Clem

Has anyone here ever heard of a TriStar Lathe. It is made in China. It has a 3/4 hp motor. The bed looks to be about 36"-40" or so. I can get one real cheap. I really don't need a lathe and have never used one. But it is one of those to good to pass up deals. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it. I can get a set of cheap gouges and such thrown in for free, which makes it harder to pass up.

David Wilhelm
02-02-2008, 6:16 PM
I can't find it either, Not even listed in the china book of lathes. There are a number of China made lathes. I don't know what you are calling a deal to good to pass up as far as price is. HF has a 1236 copy of the jet that goes on sale all the time for 199.00 and you can get the HF set of tools from 36-40ish depending on which set they cary. I'd listen to Bernie if i wanted to test the water and buy a known name mini the rikon 12" swing and jet 10" have both been on sale putting them in your shop from around 200 bucks. buy the HF tools If you are lucky and you dont get sucked into the vortex you'll have something with a resale value. If you enjoy turning you'll have a lathe that you can keep while upgrading to a larger lathe and a set of fair tools you have about $4.00 in that do well enough and are great for learning how to use the grinder.

Bill Stevener
02-02-2008, 9:17 PM

If you don't have a need for something and your not going to use it, unless you get it for free, you payed to much.:rolleyes:

David Gunn
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the offer Clem. I remember when you came in to look at the motors. If you ever need anything eletrical, call me and I will make you a good deal.
I went ahead it got it. Maybe I will like turning and upgrade later, maybe not. For $50, I thought it would be a good way to find out what this whole vortex thing is.:)

Clem Wixted
02-03-2008, 8:40 AM
HI David,

If you want a few lessons to get started, let me know.

If you bring it to work one day I can go over it with you and see what you have and give you a starter list of what you will need/want to buy next. The lathe is the least expensive part of turning :-)

Clem

Thanks for the offer Clem. I remember when you came in to look at the motors. If you ever need anything eletrical, call me and I will make you a good deal.
I went ahead it got it. Maybe I will like turning and upgrade later, maybe not. For $50, I thought it would be a good way to find out what this whole vortex thing is.:)

David Gunn
02-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Sounds great Clem. I can take it off the stand and move it fairly easily. I will bring it to Jonesboro one day with me and would love to learn some basics from someone. Just let me know which day would be best for you.
Thanks again.

Bill Stevener
02-03-2008, 2:32 PM
How about showing - Posting - some photos of the mystery lathe no one has ever seen or found. Sure would be nice to see what it looks like.:)

Remember: No pictures, it never happened.:p

David Gunn
02-03-2008, 2:54 PM
Bill, I posted some earlier. Check this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75542

Clem Wixted
02-03-2008, 5:30 PM
That will work David.

Let's take this off line and not tie up this thread.

Send me an email and we can pencil in Tuesday, unless it doesn't work for you or I get called to substitute teach. They like retired men as subs :-)

Clem

Sounds great Clem. I can take it off the stand and move it fairly easily. I will bring it to Jonesboro one day with me and would love to learn some basics from someone. Just let me know which day would be best for you.
Thanks again.

Bill Stevener
02-03-2008, 6:36 PM
Bill, I posted some earlier. Check this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75542

Well I did find it, felt like a dog running after it's tail.
Would have been nice if it were all in the same thread.:confused:

Clem Wixted
02-04-2008, 2:08 PM
Hi David,

I was thinking that it would probably be more efficient if I went up to Paragould sometime soon and not have you drag the lathe around the country. I think the best thing would be to do some basics, such as simple sharpening and simple turning. Then have you do some reading and viewing of some turning videos I have and get you started right. I spent a lot of time practicing my mistakes and now I have to consciously overcome some bad practices. I'm not a professional trainer but I know a lot of ways not to do things. :-)

Let me know what you would like to do and I can tailor some training after we go over the basics.

Also let me know what else you got with the lathe beside the tools. Things like drive centers. faceplates, chucks, etc. if any. Also what size is your spindle and Morse taper. I am assumong the spindle is 1 X 8 with a #2 Morse taper in both the headstock and tailstock.

Clem

Thanks again.

Jason Hallowell
02-05-2008, 12:30 AM
The frame, spur center, tool rest, and tail stock all look identical to the cheap HF model 45276, which was the lathe I started on, which routinely goes on sale for $85.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/desert1pocket/36066.gif

I am guessing it's the same lathe with a larger motor. If that's the case, you may have a few headaches in your future.

The HF has an obscure spindle size that no chuck will fit, and no one sells an adapter for. It doesn't have an MT hole, or any hole for that matter, which severely limits the attatchments you can put on, and makes any through drilling a challenge. If I didn't have access to a machine shop, the spindle adaptor I made for it might have cost me as much as the lathe.

The tailstock is impossible to get lined up with the bed, as the very act of tightening it also twists it some. The frame is super light duty, and twists and flexes if you put more than light pressure on the piece using the tailstock. All three of the handles are cheap plastic and will break within a few hours of use, which looking at the vice grips in the pics has already happened to at least the tailstock handle.

I considered setting it up as a dedicated buffing station, but with my limited space, I ended up just getting rid of it. I learned a lot using that lathe, and feel like I got my $85 out of it, but had I known what I was in for, I would have saved up for something better.