PDA

View Full Version : When do you finish a bowl?

Ron Hipp
02-01-2008, 8:03 PM
Question concerning everyones preference on finishing, do the majority of you apply finish on your bowls after parting off or do you apply finish on the lathe and then part off and touch up the parted off tang area.

Thanks
Ron

David Walser
02-01-2008, 8:08 PM
Most of the time, I finish the inside before reverse chucking and turning the foot. At the same time, I'll finish the outside of the bowl (except for where the chuck is gripping). I then reverse the bowl, turn the foot and finish the foot and blend in the finish with the rest of the bowl.

Mike Vickery
02-01-2008, 8:23 PM
I finish once it is completely done and parted off.

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2008, 8:25 PM
Ron - for what its worth - I apply all my finishes off the lathe. I know a few folks apply the finish while still on the lathe and sort of burnish it in but I haven't had much luck doing that. Find it easier to apply the finish while holding the turning in-hand - that way I can also see if it needs additional sanding.

Bill Bolen
02-01-2008, 8:34 PM
I lean towards an oil finish of some sort. I've found it easier to complete the project and finish it off the lathe. ...bill...

Allen Neighbors
02-01-2008, 8:39 PM
Almost everything I do, including utility bowls, is finished on the lathe. But I do a lot of small items that I sell at craft shows.
The larger items, and things that get an oil finish, or lacquer spray, is done off the lathe. I don't have time to wait for finishes to cure while on the lathe, and don't have enough chucks to keep 'em hanging around.
Once in a great while, I'll let one sit on the large lathe, and do some smaller turnings on the mini while it's curing... but that's very seldom.

Jim Becker
02-01-2008, 9:24 PM
I generally finish entirely on the lathe (other than buffing after the oil cures) as I prefer to use friction to help "push" the finish. My favorite finishing product for this is Minwax Antique Oil Finish, which is a varnish oil...and one of the only Minwax products I'll touch. I've also used blond shellac for this technique when I want to minimize color shift on a particular turning.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I finish all of my bowls off the lathe. I will do lidded boxes on the lathe.

Mike A. Smith
02-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I do a little of both, but I'm still playing with finishes and not married to any particular one.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2008, 12:15 AM
I've done some on the lathe and some off the lathe.

robert hainstock
02-02-2008, 8:56 AM
Ifinish with it spinning, I oso hand a shower curtain behind my lathe to catch the spinoff. I would reccomend also althe bed protection, more plastic sheeting) over the ways. :)
Bob

Greg Just
02-02-2008, 9:06 AM
I do both depending on what I'm turning and the type of finish being applied.

Glenn Hodges
02-02-2008, 2:11 PM
With lacquer I finish those on the lathe. I like to spray them and have them revolving at about 9rpm while I spray and while they dry. With oil I part and finish off the lathe. I do most of my buffing after they are off the lathe.