PDA

View Full Version : Spinning metal?

David Walser
02-01-2008, 6:49 PM
Do any of you use your lathe for spinning metal bowls? I saw an How It's Made episode a couple of years ago and saw how they make aluminum bowls by stretching a thin aluminum disk over a wooden form by spinning the disk on a lathe while using a metal tool to press the disk and mold it to the form. I thought, "Wow! That's cool."

Today, I saw a starter metal spinning kit from Robert Sorby. Here's the link:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=311

Is there another dimension to this vortex?

John W. Willis
02-01-2008, 7:46 PM
I'm glad you raised the question David, I have had my interest peaked on metal spinning also. There are some "how to" videos you can rent on http://smartflix.com/ (http://smartflix.com/)
It will be interesting to see the responses.

Jeff Clow
02-01-2008, 7:48 PM
When I bought my lathe in about '73 it came with a book showing how to spin metal. I have wanted to try it ever since. 2 yrs ago I saw a demo from a pro/artist named Danforth in Vermont. Bought a spun oil lamp from him. (picture of lamp attached)
I have collected info on the subject, but have not aquired any tools yet...I hope to make my own.
A friend of mine worked at Lockheed and looked into working in their spinning department making custom aircraft parts (he was a riveter at the time). The old guy who had been doing it forever looked him up & down and told him "you aint got enough a** to be doin this". They were doing some pretty large parts like engine covers & such.
Thus is still on my to do list, but there are so many other things ahead of it on my list, its going to be awhile still!

Bob Hamilton
02-01-2008, 8:54 PM
Terry Tynan has put out a couple of videos on metalspinning and has a forum devoted to metalspinning on his site: http://www.metalspinningworkshop.com/

The videos are very informative and he explains what is needed in order to set up for metalspinning on a wood lathe and how to make your own spinning tools. I bought a couple of the videos and find the process fascinating, but have yet to actually try it.

I believe a fellow on another forum bought the Sorby spinning tools before having seen Terry's videos and said the Sorby tools were extremely light duty compared to the ones you can make yourself.

Take care
Bob

Keith Outten
02-01-2008, 9:08 PM
There are some very good videos on UTube on the subject of metal spinning. I have been doing some research lately with interest in small projects.

Wes Bischel
02-01-2008, 9:13 PM
I would second Bob's nod to Terry Tynan. I have yet to try, but Terry does a great job of explaining the processes.

Wes

Bill Stevener
02-01-2008, 9:58 PM
Looking back, quite some time now, I did a good amount of metal spinning in high school. I did enjoy it very much. The tools, if I may are just sticks. The lathe we used was not a wood lathe, it was a metal spinning lathe, although similar.

John Timberlake
02-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Saw a demo by Dave Hout in September, but I have never done any. Looks interesting. There was a guy in the audience who said he had done metal spinning in college - in 1937! Looking forward to seeing any work you do.

Bill Noce
02-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Dave Hout teaches a class on metal spinning at John Campbell School if you are interested........Dave Hout is teaching a class on Metal Spinning in April at John C. Campbell........... www.folkschool.org (http://www.folkschool.org)

Dale Miner
02-02-2008, 12:20 AM
I've done a bit of spinning, perhaps 150 parts or so. Started spinning on an engine lathe, bought an older heavy wood lathe, and now own a 3520b. The 3520b has plenty of power, and strength, the banjo clamp is ok for most jobs, marginal on heavy material. Actually got hooked on wood turning from making the spinning forms.

For light gauge non work hardening aluminum (1100-0) you can spin with hardwood tools. I've not spun pewter, but it can also be spun with wooden tools.

The Sorby tools look awfully light to me. When working with metal of any size or gauge, the tools need to be in the 24" to 36" long overall range. The handle of the tool needs to be long enough to reach your armpit. I like the handles to be about two inches in diameter at the armpit end. The larger diameter helps spread the force out over a greater area of your ribcage. If you decide to give spinning a try, do get the first DVD set from Terry Tynan, and make the tools as he describes. You will also need a spinning tool rest. Oneway has them I think. Making one is not that difficult if you have access to some metal working tools and a welder.

Terry's DVD's are full of info, and will need to be watched occasionally after your spinning sessions to get the most from them. Expect to make some scrap parts as you learn.

I would guess that 1100-0 aluminum is the metal of choice for learning. Look for metal that is about .030" to .040" thick. Some of the aluminums in the 3000 series are Ok, look for those with no temper. Stay away from 5052 and 6061. Roofing copper is a bit tougher to spin, as it work hardens, and requires some annealing. Copper makes nice looking parts though. Usually roofing copper is sold as 16 oz or 20 oz. The thickness of the two is .022" and .027" respectively. The 16 oz will probably be to thin for beginning out on unless the parts are fairly small and simple. Brass will give you fits, as it work hardens quickly and requires frequent anneals. It takes an excellent shine and makes bells that actually ring.

Later,

Dale M