PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector question???

Christopher Hunter
02-01-2008, 6:44 PM
I have a Delta 1hp 650cfm dust collector and I am wanting , if at all possible, to put the collector in one spot in my shop and leave it there and run about 5-6 10ft hoses off of it with some gates.
My question is
Will this collector work at the end of my run or should I just be content with moving it all around to every machine.
If it is possible at 5-6 is it possible to add a few more runs?
Thanks for any help !!!
--Chris

Scott Gibbons
02-01-2008, 8:16 PM
I helped my father do this in his basement wood shop with that exact same collector. we just used PVC, I think its 6" but I am not sure. It works great and was very easy to do.

Paul Engle
02-02-2008, 5:44 PM
4 inch is max dia for your tubes , any larger and the velocity drops off and the impeller will try to over speed the motor ( amps go up ) as I under stand it from an electrition at a cut shop, there is not enough drag to help keep the motor at correct rpm, same thing with the piping, it is most efficent at 4 inches , most of them say 20 feet max for the run from collector to impeller for smaller units under say 5 hp. I have a 1.5 hp 1180 CFM, 2 legs of 4 inch ( 5 stations ,longest run is 26 feet but hardly use the jointer) to 6 inch Y pipe runs about 6 amp per leg, with two ports open it goes up to just under 7 amps per leg .Just be sure and gate all of the stations and run grounding wire.... copper is good , for plastic tubes run it outside for sure as they will build up static charge and optionally on the inside. connect to house ground lug or water pipe.

Scott Gibbons
02-02-2008, 9:30 PM
I was incorrect 4" is the correct dia! Good Luck