PDA

View Full Version : 3 HP & 5 HP Unisaw question

Michael Hammers
02-01-2008, 3:46 PM
I am curious if anyone has input on the real capability differences between these two?
I found a good deal on a Delta model 36-953. I am afraid it may be to small. 3HP, 230v single phase. Will be using it with fresh cut and dried solid wood sometimes 16 quarter plus. It is not the saw I dream of but it is a good deal.
Thanks,

Chris Padilla
02-01-2008, 3:55 PM
4" thick cuts are SCARY on a TS. I'd use a bandsaw for that! 10" blades won't clear that and that in itself sounds scary to me.

Past threads on this topic (and do search around) indicate that MOST of us hobbiests do just fine on 3 HP motors but there are plenty of "Tim the Toolman" grunters who desire that 5 HP "beast" spinning their blades. :D

Greg Funk
02-01-2008, 3:56 PM
Equipped with a proper blade it is very difficult to slow down a 3HP Unisaw without using a powerfeeder. If for some reason you are going to be ripping with an 80 tooth blade then it might help a little but it is simpler just to use the correct blade. I don't think a 10" saw will cut through a 4" wood. For that you might be better off with a bandsaw.

Greg

Richard M. Wolfe
02-01-2008, 4:02 PM
A bandsaw is the preferred tool for thich buts. And expecially where you said "fresh cut and dried". Trying to cut green wood that thick on a table saw does not paint a pretty picture in my mind.

Michael Hammers
02-01-2008, 4:14 PM
You are right, I was at work and did not proof read close enough. :o
I will be cutting large stock on this up to 3" thick. I have a MM16 coming (got the end of the year deal) for the really thick stuff.
Asking price is 1100.00 I am not sure if it is a good deal or not. Never used. It has basic fence. I want a slider but this seems like a good deal, however after adding all the extras it may not be.

Jim Becker
02-01-2008, 5:25 PM
If you are going to be cutting a lot of 3" thick material because it's what your projects demand, you'll likely be happier with the extra horsepower of the 5hp version. It will work a little less hard in that respect. But the 3hp machine will cut the stock just fine, especially if it's been dressed. I personally don't recommend cutting a lot of green stock on the table saw, however, as green stock can do some "interesting" things as pressure is released. Best to use your new MM16 for that :) and use the TS for final dimensioning. IMHO, of course.

Chris Rosenberger
02-01-2008, 5:53 PM
I have used both 3hp & 5 hp saws over the years. I never had a lack of power with a 3 hp saw. Most of the time the 5 hp saw was over kill for the type of cutting being done. The 3 hp saw will cost less & use less electric. Use the extra money to buy other tools.

Josiah Bartlett
02-02-2008, 3:50 AM
I personally think that 3hp is about all the power a 10" blade can handle without overheating and just burning its way through your wood. 5hp is for dull blades in timber you don't care about scorching. Bigger saws are a different story.