PDA

View Full Version : Dado Set

Tim Allaire
02-01-2008, 1:03 PM
I have a Jet Proshop and was going to be doing a project requiring dado and thinking about investing about a dado set. Any recommendations?

keith ouellette
02-01-2008, 1:48 PM
If you are going to be doing many dados in the future I would suggest getting the frued dial a width dado. I have it and don't think I could go back to shims ever again.

If you are only using it once then any high quality stack set with shims would work. I had a regular freud dado set and it cut well and was about $100 cheaper than the dial a width i have now but if you are going to use it often the extra 100 is worth the cost.

Dennis Parslow
02-01-2008, 2:28 PM
I keep hearing about the Freud, but then hearing that you have to make sure you have a long enough arbor. Keith, what is the max dado size listed for your saw. My Jet xacta says 13/16" max arbor size Can I get the dial a width?

Steve Leverich
02-01-2008, 2:52 PM
Got me curious, had to dig a bit but here's the answer from Freud

http://www.freudtools.com/t-608-compatible.aspx

HTH... Steve

Wayne Cannon
02-02-2008, 2:26 AM
You don't need a large dado set. A 6" or 8" will be fine 99.999% of the time and require less power from your saw. You will almost never need to plow a "deep" dado requiring larger diameter blades.

Look for dado's that leave a flat bottom. Many (most?) leave ridges that need to be cleaned up if visible from the end. I don't know off the top of my head, but some reviews have mentioned this. The Freud is pretty good at leaving a flat bottom.

Depending on your needs, reasonable length dados (e.g., for shelves) can often be done with less setup and a cleaner cut using a router and an easy to make (or inexpensive to buy) dado jig. A stacked dado in a table saw is easier for rabbeting edges or long (e.g., over 30") dados.

Alex Elias
02-02-2008, 3:50 AM
I had a bottom of the barrel no name set that I've used once or twice. Regreated it. The I got the Freud with the shims outstanding set but the shims as a PITA and the blades are so tight on the harvor I didn't enjoy using it (I took it back the next day) now I got the Freud dial a dado and I'd do it again and again. Very easy to use awesome set that will be with you for a long time.
I use it with a contractor Delta saw.

frank shic
02-02-2008, 8:32 AM
i went with the 6" freud sd506 and have it set up on a dewalt portable table saw for 1/4" grooving for cabinets and doors.

scott spencer
02-02-2008, 8:41 AM
I've used the SD208 12T with 2T chippers, the DeWalt 7670 24T with 4T chippers, and Systimatic Superfine 42T with 6T chippers. All worked well, and the cuts get cleaner with the increase in teeth with each. The DW was a great deal at ~ $90....nice case, good shim stock, 6 chippers.

I'd also look into any deals on the Ridge Carbide, Forrest, CMT, Amana, Freud 508/608, and Infinity. I hear Holbren's getting the Oshlun (formerly Avenger)...might be a bargain there.

Ed Howe
02-03-2008, 1:55 PM
Has anybody successfully used the Freud Dial-A-Width (SD608) with the Grizzly hybrid saw (g0478)? While my arbor is too short to use the maximum width of the SD608, I was wondering if there are other interference problems that would preclude me from using it.

(Yes, I'm too lazy to go out and measure everything per the Freud website. :))

Fred Freitag
02-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I have a Jet Proshop and was going to be doing a project requiring dado and thinking about investing about a dado set. Any recommendations?

I think I would attach a router extension table to the tablesaw instead of buying the dado. You can make a router extension table fairly cheap if you just want to cut dados. However, you cank get extreme with the router tablesaw extension and then really do some nice things with the router.

Bruce Benjamin
02-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Infinity makes one of the best, (if not the best) dado sets available for any price. http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1167 It's called the Dadonator. Silly name but if you can get past that and the fact that it doesn't come with the greatest storage case in the world you'll get a fantastic dado set. The rest of their blades and bits are also about as good as you can buy anywhere too.

Bruce

Jason Scott
02-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I just bought a Freud Pro Dado set 6" for 89.00 of of Amazon, it works great on my PM 64A

Tim Allaire
02-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Interesting...I will give a look and see. Very promising.