PDA

View Full Version : Leg Extension

Heather Deans
02-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi All- I've been asked to make a settee taller for a theatre production (I know it will look funny- not my call.....) I'm using some 8/4 oak pieces I had (these will be painted, ect so look isn't the important part at this point). I'm a little worried about how to attach the blocks I'm going to use. I'm thinking either furniture screws or oak dowel, but I'm especially worried about the back legs since they are tapered. Any words of wisdom? Oh yeah, and I have to put casters on this thing too as it rolls on and off stage. Lots of stress on the legs.....
Thanks!
Heather

Dennis Jackson
02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Could you build it as a cart that the existing settee would sit in? Make it look like a second rail around the bottom and cut out the corners so the legs of the settee sit on the outside. How much higher does it have to be? Will the casters take up most of the height or will the extensions be long?

John Thompson
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Hard-wood dowel on the round leg and a floating tenon on the tapered with a small prayer that no "teens" are going to be involved.

That's a tough call considering the original concept was not geared to do what has been ask with the original design. Only in Hollywood! :)

Good luck...

Sarge..

Heather Deans
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
They want it 4"!!! taller. A cart is a possibility, but only if I can make it not look like a cart. :)
H.

Doug Hobkirk
02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Get 4" high casters with a stem. Drill into the leg and reinforce with a metal sleeve if necessary (someone probably makes one specifically designed for this). The caster shaft should go in very tight.