PDA

View Full Version : Tool Question

Brian Triplett
03-05-2004, 8:59 AM
Dust Collection question for you. Have any of you had experience with equipment from Penn State Industries? I was think about getting one of their dust collectors, I know I need a cyclone but I can not afford one nor do I have the space, that will be for the next house. I like this because most already come with the 1 micro bags. Thanks for the help.

Brian

Mike Evertsen
03-05-2004, 9:18 AM
I had a pennstate it worked great for me but I wanted a bigger DC I bought the Grizzly 2 hp with .3 micron bag

Brian Triplett
03-05-2004, 9:57 AM
I had a pennstate it worked great for me but I wanted a bigger DC I bought the Grizzly 2 hp with .3 micron bag

How is that Grizzly working for you? Is the bottom bag a filter bag or just a collection bag, the web site says only the top bag is a .3 micron.

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Brian
I have the 1 horse dust collector from Penn State and have it mounted on a pressure washer cart from Harbor Freight. Plug it into each machine as I use that machine.
They have a new model of 1 horse listed in the catalog with a paper filter and that's basically how I modified my DC last year myself.
Daniel :cool:

Bob Aquino
03-12-2004, 9:12 AM
I'm on my second machine. The first was a DC1b with 5 micron bags that I had for about 4 years. I recently sold it and ended up with a 2hp unit, the DC250 which is being replaced by the DC2000 which comes standard with 1 micron bags.

There's been lots of noise about the HF dc that you can buy for 150 or so, but once you add in the good bags, you are not too far from what I ended up paying for my unit. My price point for the upgrade was 300 including shipping. I looked at the JDS, Jet and Delta units in the local woodcraft. All were 1.5 hp and came standard with 30 micron bags. The JDs could have been had from Amazon for 300 including shipping with a 5 micron bag upgrade thrown in for free. The Grizzley units were higher with the same quality bags. Ultimately I ended up with the PS unit cause I could get it within a week, it was a full 2hp with a 12" impeller and it came with 5 micron bags for 280 (dickered with the lady on the phone for that price) and shipping for 40 brought it to my door for 320 which was good enough for me.

Of course that's not the end of the story. My old plumbed in system consisted of 4" thin wall pvc and I now realize that I will have to convert part of it over to 6" if I want to get the benefit out of the larger unit. 6" pipe and fittings are a bit more expensive then the 4" stuff, but this thing will SUCK if you give it room to breathe. To me the bottom line on dust collection is to start out with the biggest unit you can afford or like me, you'll end up having to upgrade and spending more cash and time in the long run.

Dust Collection question for you. Have any of you had experience with equipment from Penn State Industries? I was think about getting one of their dust collectors, I know I need a cyclone but I can not afford one nor do I have the space, that will be for the next house. I like this because most already come with the 1 micro bags. Thanks for the help.

Brian