PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the Incra 1000SE miter gauge

Bill White
02-01-2008, 8:53 AM
but I guess that I'm too stupid to figure out the measuring tape stuff on said gauge. I've tried to read/undertstand the instructions, but they are NOT intuitive. Anybody got pics of this puppy installed? I've always just measured, set the stops, and cut. Now all these moveable sliding tapes just don't seem accurate though the stop adjustment notches look to make repeatability a snap.
Bill

Art Mann
02-01-2008, 9:08 AM
You are not alone. As you discovered, every time you change the miter fence, it throws the measuring tape off. You can either leave the fence adjustment alone, which limits the versatility of the fence, or you can constantly realign the measuring tape. I decided it was not worth it to continue to fiddle with the tape, so I ignore it.

Tim Malyszko
02-01-2008, 9:16 AM
As art said, the tape measure feature needs to be realigned every time you adjust the gauge. I have one and really never use the tape measure feature. I set my angle, measure the cut, tighten the stop and go to town.

JayStPeter
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
To set the scale quickly when you're at 90 degrees, just use a 1-2-3 block against a tooth on your blade to set the stop to 3" and slide the scale in place. Takes all of 10 seconds. I have a 24" straight edge that's exactly 24" to set the sliding extension when necessary.
When making mitered cuts, I usually don't bother with the scale unless I know I'm going to need to go back and forth between a couple settings.

scott spencer
02-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I have an Osborne and a Hartville miter fence that both have similar issues....my take is that the tape on a miter fence is meant more as a general guide than an actual precision measuring reference, but it sounds like Jay's idea should help.

Bob Rufener
02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Bill, I also have the Incra 1000SE. The tape slides in the track. Just take a screwdriver tip or a small stick of wood and push it. It will slide. I would suttest curring a piece of wood to a certain size-measure it carefully with a steel ruler and slide the tape to match the length of the stick of wood. I believe this will work for you. I would also add that I thought the instruction sheet was terribly written. Pictures don't even match the extruded parts of the unit. They at least could provide an instruction sheet that is complete and up to date. Otherwise, I really like the gauge so far.