PDA

View Full Version : Wood/tree only from Germany?

Jim Podsedly
02-01-2008, 3:24 AM
I would like to make some items for a colleague i have been working with recently. He resides in Germany and I would like to make something out of a German wood for him. I will also be making some things out of wood from the US as well.

I am having trouble finding any sources for trees only grown in Germany.

Any ideas?

I am currently in Frankfurt and would like to get my hands on some wood before leaving.

Thanks,
jim

Paul Engle
02-01-2008, 9:40 AM
Jim , try city hall in Frankfurt for any winter damaged trees. my guess is there is going to be some "native" damage around the area some where.

Doug Shepard
02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken Bäume only grow in Germany and parts of Switzerland
http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=en&service=deen&opterrors=0&optpro=0&query=baum&iservice=&dlink=self&comment=
Wish I could be more help but I think anything else is likely to be European rather than just German.

Allen Neighbors
02-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Jim, I don't know much about German trees, but: Having lived there for five years, I know their laws are very strict concerning trees. Make sure you're legal if you locate any Baeume. Check with some of the local people... and maybe even check with the city hall in a smaller town.
Good luck in your endeavor!

Nathan Hawkes
02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
spessart oak. Its cultivated in germany only. It may be the same species of oak as other parts of europe, but what sets it apart is the fact that it is cultivated over many generations of foresters; trees are harvested at about 300-400 years old. I don't know the cost of wood of this type,but I'm sure it is not cheap.