PDA

View Full Version : My bandsaw quest is over!

Bob Hallowell
02-01-2008, 2:05 AM
I saw an email on the Pittsburgh craigslist about abunch of tools for sale, so I sent an email to see if they had any bandsaws and they replied an 18" for $700 and a 20" for $900, steel city industrail. I called right back and ask him to hold the 18" and took the day off and drove 2 hours to Pittsburgh.

As it turns out it was Steel City Tools they are combining locations down to Tennesee and closing the Pittsburgh office and it was cheaper for them to sell of fthe tools they had here cheaply than to ship them. I spent quite awile there and talk to Chuck (who is their number one sales guy right now) But is one of their top engineers and Mark who was one of the founders and boy did they know there equipment and are super nice guys. You can tell they stand behind what they sell.

I found out why the new craftsman table saw are so good, Steel city owns Orion who makes the craftsman saw and I believe Mark told me Chuck was the one who designed the trunioins and saws.

Chuck still needs to peice together some table saws and Acording to Mark one will have my name on it to come back down and pick it up. which will be another gloat! hopefully.

But now the skinny for all else just leave my tablesaw that is not put together alone ok :D

they have craftsman profession jointers for $200. Nice moblie bases they make for sears and wood craft for $20, tablesaws still a 20" bandsaw grinders and so much more. I asked if it was ok to post Chucks email and he said ok Chuck Baird [cbaird@steelcitytoolworks.net] everything needs to be a local pickup no shipping.

I know pic police the pics will be on tommorow.

Bob

Alex Elias
02-01-2008, 2:53 AM
Nice deal. Just wondering. Why did you get the 18" and not the 20" that is what any decent tool jankie would have done. The biger the better
Congrats

Dave MacArthur
02-01-2008, 2:58 AM
Great buy! sounds like a fun adventure.

Paul Snowden
02-01-2008, 3:01 AM
I won't believe it until I see pictures.

Bob Hallowell
02-01-2008, 3:07 AM
Nice deal. Just wondering. Why did you get the 18" and not the 20" that is what any decent tool jankie would have done. The biger the better
Congrats

After looking at both I just couldn't see how I could need more than the big 18" thant thing is massive.

Bob

Bob Hallowell
02-01-2008, 4:41 AM
Here's the pics,
plus I forgot to mention, I picked up 5 swedish silicone low tension blades marked steel city for 5 dollars each in sizes 1/4 to 1 in some for dry others for green wood( hmm... I wonder who made those wolf looking blades) plus that's one of the $20 mobile bases under the saw. I need to move out the little hitacha 12" behind it and put her in place.

Bob

Doug Shepard
02-01-2008, 5:37 AM
You stole that saw and you're worried about the picture police??:confused:
Bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna do...
:D

Dennis Hatchett
02-01-2008, 6:12 AM
You stole that saw and you're worried about the picture police??:confused:
Bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna do...
:D

I agree with Doug, You stole that saw and should be arrested. :)

nice score.

Robert E Johnson III
02-01-2008, 6:25 AM
$900 that is a great buy, I'm jealous. Let us know how it performs and again congrats.

Benjamin Dahl
02-01-2008, 7:40 AM
Bob, that is great. glad you were patient and waited until you found a deal. look forward to hearing how you like it.
Ben

Ray Turney
02-01-2008, 7:52 AM
How are you going to use that saw with handcuffs on. Great deal, congrats.

Brad Ridgway
02-01-2008, 8:04 AM
Dang!!!!

I bought the 16" for 900 - wanna trade cause you appear to not really need the size and i like the foot brake :)

dan mahler
02-01-2008, 8:42 AM
That was a great find! Congrats on the great deal!!

Jeffrey Makiel
02-01-2008, 9:15 AM
Enjoy!
-Jeff :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2008, 9:42 AM
Congrats Bob! May it serve you well!

Wilbur Pan
02-01-2008, 10:16 AM
After looking at both I just couldn't see how I could need more than the big 18" thant thing is massive.

Bob

Just wait a year or so. ;)

Eric Mims
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I met a guy on Craigslist who had a truck load of Steel City tablesaws that were returned for 'freight damage'.. He lives near their warehouse where apparently those goods go. They made him buy an entire trailer. I won't give any exact prices, but basically I got their premium 10" lefty with 52" industrial fence...basically for a little more than what the fence costs. :D

Oh, and the 'freight damage' was a scratch to the black base border (thank goodness for picky people!).

John Thompson
02-01-2008, 12:16 PM
You are a a lucky man, Bob. I paid around $1200 for my SC 18" with a $100 rebate at the time. But... I would pay full price if necessary to have another if this one was stolen or whatever.

Enjoy what I consider the best BS coming off the Pacific Rim...

Regards...

Sarge..

Pete Jordan
02-01-2008, 2:11 PM
Wow Bob!

Great lookin Saw!

glenn bradley
02-01-2008, 3:58 PM
Bob, that is a fantastic deal all around. Congratulations you lucky dog.

Jake Helmboldt
02-01-2008, 4:32 PM
$900 that is a great buy, I'm jealous. Let us know how it performs and again congrats.

Even greater is the fact he only paid $700. The 20" was the $900 saw.

THIEF!

Jim Becker
02-01-2008, 4:53 PM
Congratulations...great buy!