PDA

View Full Version : Question about Powermatic 15S Planer

Steven J Corpstein
01-31-2008, 11:37 PM
For those that own this model planer, do you find it hard to steer with four fixed casters? I would think you'd have to drag it sideways to turn a corner if none of the built-in wheels turn.

Michael Rominger
01-31-2008, 11:52 PM
I own this planer. All four wheels are fixed. Althought I enjoy using it is a drag to turn.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Chuck Burns
02-01-2008, 12:36 AM
I have a 15HH and don't have any problems turning it. You just have to muscle one end around to steer it. Though my concrete floor is very smooth and that may make it easier. I bought a Hoverpad to put underneath it but after trying the built in rollers I dcided to use the Hoverpad for something else.

Kevin Groenke
02-02-2008, 1:55 AM
We have a 209HH. Fortunately we rarely have to move ours so it isn't an issue, BUT I cannot for the life of me figure out why they (PM/Jet) bothered to put those worthless non-swiveling wheels down there (cheap I suppose). Have you noticed that the "brake" consists of a bolt with a knob on the end that screws against the surface of the wheel? It's neanderthal engineering at it's worst. There is no mechanism for leveling this 900 lb machine, if the floor isn't flat, you're gonna have to shim it, and that's not right either. I'll never buy a PM again with closely examining the details and comparing them to the less "prestigious" competition. It's not difficult to slide the wheels on a smooth surface, it's more the principle that bugs me, it could be so much better.

There are several (less expensive) planers of nearly if not identical design that have integrated, step-to-move swiveling casters. In fact before receiving the PM I fully expected it to have that sort of mechanism and it somehow didn't make it into the picture.

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g0453z.jpg (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0453Z/images/0)

Steven J Corpstein
02-02-2008, 7:27 AM
I am the original poster on this subject and was looking to see if any other manufacturer had made these planers with this caster configuration, any easier to turn.

I own the Steel City 15", similar design, and am considering retrofitting a lift pedal caster like the Grizzly on it. I didn't want to just go on my opinion that it was a bear to turn. You guys confirmed it isn't just me. Looks very simple to add a piece of square steel tubing on the inside with levelers and a lift pedal.

fred woltersdorf
02-02-2008, 8:02 AM
steve, i just purchased an older pm 15" planner but haven't set it up yet. the first thing i'm going to do is put it on a Delta mobile base that i just got. those built in casters are a joke.

Jim Eller
02-02-2008, 9:45 AM
I have a 209HH and do not find any problem moving it around on the concrete shop floor, swivel or no swivel.

I don't even lock the wheels when in use. I don't have to shove boards through it and it doesn't vibrate.

Jim

Bill Reed
02-02-2008, 6:01 PM
I have this planer and don't really find the casters to be a problem. The planer is light enough and the long tables provide enough leverage that I can get two casters off the floor by lifting the end of one table and can steer it in whatever direction I want. However, swivel casters would have made this much easier. I don't lock the wheels either. It just doesn't seem to be necessary.

Bill

Mark Ebert
02-02-2008, 7:50 PM
A few months ago I was looking at the Steel City and Powermatic 15" planers, and the fact that the built-in rollers didn't swivel turned me off completely from those two because I needed to be able to maneuver it in my shop. I ended up picking up the Grizzly 15" model, with a swivel foot at one end, and have been very happy with it.

I wonder what kind of rocket scientist :rolleyes: came up with the fixed wheel idea and locking mechanism on those.

Steven J Corpstein
02-02-2008, 8:47 PM
I wonder what kind of rocket scientist :rolleyes: came up with the fixed wheel idea and locking mechanism on those.

A rocket scientist that is unemployed because of lack of ingenuity.