PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Adjusting Jointer

Paul Fitzgerald
01-31-2008, 11:03 PM
My jointer doesn't seem to be acting right. If I hold the stock firmly to the outfeed table after it passes the knives, it doesn't cut much, if anything, off the end of the board.

Here are some pictures. Does anyone know what needs to be adjusted to make it act right?

Thanks,

Paul

Edit: It appears as though I can't spell Knives. :D

keith ouellette
01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Are your blads set even with the out feed table or just a tad above it? Set them like .003 above the outfeed table and it should take care of it.

Also check if the infeed or out feed table dips down at the ends.

I was having that problem after I changed blades and it was because they were to low.

Joe Chritz
01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Blades out of adjustment or sagging tables are the first two things to check.

I had problems once with a table that had a slight dip in a spot and it caused all kinds of problems.

Joe

Dennis Miller
01-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Use a long straight edge to check if the outfeed table is parallel or "straight" in-line with the infeed table. I would guess that the outfeed table is "drooping" at the end of the table. I don't know if your jointer has a way to adjust this. I had to use shim stock on an Incra jointer on the sliding dovetail interface where the main body connects with the outfeed table. I don't believe that my "new" old Rockwell jointer has any set screws to adjust this so shims may be the only way to make an adjustment. Shims aren't a big deal on the outfeed since it is rarely moved. I think I read somewhere that the way the old jointers were made is that the table surfaces were machined after the tables were assembled with the main body. I don't know how newer jointers are made and whether or not they have a way to adjust a drooping table. It may be that the outfeed table is drooping because the "ways" are too loose...so I guess there is an adjustment for drooping if the cause is too loose a fit. Otherwise, shims may be the only solution.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
I checked with a dial indicator and the knives are at the same height as the outfeed table.

I don't have a precision straightedge, but I checked with my Johnson 4' straightedge. I raised the infeed table to the height of the outfeed table and both tables are flat and parallel. Neither table sags.

Paul

Dennis Miller
01-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Hmm...tables in line, knives set at the same height as the outfeed table. Your jointer should be working just fine. I would assume that you are measuring the knife height at the angular position of maximum height. I'm baffled.

Paul Fitzgerald
02-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Hmm...tables in line, knives set at the same height as the outfeed table. Your jointer should be working just fine. I would assume that you are measuring the knife height at the angular position of maximum height. I'm baffled.

Well there's no guarantee the straightedge I have is really straight. It could be flexing while I hold it to the table to measure with the feeler gauges. I can say for sure that the ends of the tables are not sagging.

Here's how I measured the height of the knives:

1) Set dial indicator to 0" while touching the table
2) Move indicator tip over cutter head to find top dead center
3) Roll the cutter head to observe height of knives

All three knives are dead even (± <0.001") with the outfeed table along the length of each knife.

Paul

Dennis Miller
02-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Is this jointer new to you? Has it ever worked correctly? Did you recently change the blades? I guess I should have asked these questions earlier.

Paul Fitzgerald
02-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Are your blads set even with the out feed table or just a tad above it? Set them like .003 above the outfeed table and it should take care of it.

Also check if the infeed or out feed table dips down at the ends.

I was having that problem after I changed blades and it was because they were to low.

The height of my outfeed table is adjustable, so I could lower it a few thousandths of an inch. That should achieve the same thing right?

Paul

Paul Fitzgerald
02-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Is this jointer new to you? Has it ever worked correctly? Did you recently change the blades? I guess I should have asked these questions earlier.

It's a one year old Ridgid that's new to me. I have not changed the blades.

The problem is more evident with a shallow depth of cut. That's probably why I haven't noticed it until now.

Paul

Dennis Miller
02-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Try searching Google for jointer adjustments. There seems to be a lot of information out there. Obviously lots of folks have problems getting their jointers adjusted correctly. The key issues seem to be uniform knife settings and table parallelism. Sorry I can't be of more help. Best of luck.:confused:

Paul Fitzgerald
02-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Keith had the answer. Thanks Keith!

Lowering the outfeed table 0.002" fixed the problem.

I feel much better now. :D

Paul

Dave MacArthur
02-01-2008, 1:13 AM
http://www.woodworkergallery.com/happywoodworking/DJ20adjustments.html

Here's an article on adjusting a jointer, anyways. Best one I've found for overall explanation.