PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin?

Heather Sjoquist
01-31-2008, 10:32 PM
As you can see above my name is Heather. I am new here and I don't think I am searching correctly to find the answers. Any help is appreciated.

I am thinking about buying a laser to engrave but really would like something to cut wood and wool felt. The wood being 1/4" thick at most. I currently make toys and dolls for children and have some ideas on how a laser will help me expand my business niche.

At this point I am looking for some basic information. I have been looking at the Epilog site because someone on another business forum has one and it's the only brand I have heard of. I have no idea what type of machine I can start with and what (aside from Corel) I will need to be operational. I found this site while searching for lasers for sale so for now you are stuck with me ;)

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Welcome! The has been much discussion of the varies laser brands here, but you may have to go back as much as a year to find it. I have an Epilog and cut 1/4" wood frequently, also have cut felt. Some ther brands if you want to google them are Universal, Trotec, GCC, Accuris, and Pinnacle. I'm sure others will name some more.

Ed L Miller
02-01-2008, 2:49 AM
Welcome Heather!

There's a lot of factors you'll need to consider before making the big investment (as you're most likely already aware).

1. Size (what do you believe will be the largest item you'll laser)
2. Power (it sounds like you already know this one 1/4" thick cutting)
3. Speed (it sounds like you'll be using this in a production environment)
4. Price (anywhere between $10K - Luxury SUV)

My initial analysis based on what you're wanting to do, I'd suggest an industry standard table size (12"x24") and no less than 45 Watts of power. I would recommend a Epilog Mini 24. I've provided some pricing for you. The first price is MSRP the second price is the typical sale price you can receive from an Epilog distributor. The most important thing you'll need is the exhaust system and the vector pin table for cutting.

It probably looks like I work for Epilog; however, I own a Universal VL-200 laser with 30Watts of power. I'm suggesting the Epilog due to all the problems I've had with my Universal. My next machine will be an Epilog. :)

I've heard great things about them and they also have a local sales rep (my Universal rep disappeared on me).

MINI 24 (24” x 12” Engraving Area, up to 8” Z-Clearance)
35 Watt………………$19,900 / $14,995
40 Watt………………$21,400 / $15,745
45 Watt………………$22,900 / $16,495
OPTIONS: Air Assist Comp. $300 / Exhaust System $500 / Vector Pin Table (12” x 12”) $295 / Mini Stand $595
Rotary Glass Attachment $1,150

I hope this helps, feel free to ping me if you have any questions. I'm happy to help.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Ed
No Splinters
“

Rodne Gold
02-01-2008, 4:22 AM
I would rather subcontract at first , EI use someone elses laser. If the plan you have and the products you make take off , then investigate owning your own. Lasers are VERY expensive capital equipment and you might find yourself a slave to it just to pay the operating costs and lease fee.
I doubt you will get away with less than 15-20k startup and you need about that amount as working capital.
You would need to generate at least 2x that to be profitable , per annum , so at the bare minimum one would have to generate at least 30k's worth of EXTRA sales a year.
Thats $3k a month or at least $150 a day EXTRA.
Apart from that , lasering will consume vast amounts of time. Rather use your time to market your ideas , get someone else to make em.
I dont want to rain on anyone's parade , but you will see by reading here that starting up a laser operation is not that simple and not that profitable especially if your market is narrow or is not very well established.

Mike Null
02-01-2008, 4:36 AM
I concur with Rodne's advice.

If you are determined to buy then take a hard look at all brands.

It is a big mistake to think that your salesperson will offer support after the sale. Your tech support will come from the mfr. by telephone or email and US made models along with Trotec have a better track record in this respect than others.

With all warranties just parts are covered--you provide the labor.

Heather Sjoquist
02-01-2008, 8:49 AM
Thank you all for the input. I'll look at the things that have been mentioned.

I know someone who has her work done by another person (laser cut designs) and in at least one respect I know what the profit would be. As far as I can tell (and I will research more over the next few weeks) there isn't anyone else in this particular market.

I already have my marketing covered because of my current line of work. I am fortunate that I have an artistic background and am used to working with my hands (I do general woodworking and building) as well as an understanding of design. This will help immensely I think.

I knew a bit about the Epilog pricing so at least I didn't scare my husband talking to him too much and he will be my toughest customer.

I'll look at the forum more later and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions :)

Marc Myer
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Heather,
Welcome to the forum, by the way! You'll find the people here are exceptionally helpful and generous. I would suggest that when you're ready to try some laser work, look first at the people here on this forum.

More than likely, there are several people on this list in your area who would be happy to work with you. Unless, of course, you are located in Upper Slobovia, as I believe the closest laser person is located in Lower Slobovia.

Sandra Force
02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I would suggest that you give us a location where you are located and maybe we can point you to someone who has a laser and can do test runs on the items you are interested in doing. This will give you a time, power and speed to start looking at. If what you want done is not cost effective on the laser you might as well stop now. I would also look at a minimum of the 12"x24" if what you are doing takes off that is a very confining table to work with and I would prefer slightly larger.:)

Scott Shepherd
02-01-2008, 1:17 PM
I'm suggesting the Epilog due to all the problems I've had with my Universal. My next machine will be an Epilog. :)

Yes, and I'd suggest a Universal due to all the problems I had with my Epilog. In fact, the problems were so bad and they couldn't resolve them so it got bought back. I can give you files that the Epilog will fail miserably on.

Point being, there are cheerleaders for all brands on this forum. Different machines work for different people and different situations. Some people are happy with Chinese lasers and some people are happy with their top of the line Trotec.

There is NO subsitute for taking sample files to dealers and make them clear hours, yes hours, for you and run the exact types of things you plan to be doing and make sure all your questions are answered to your satisfaction. Then pick the one that fits your situation best.

Mike Mackenzie
02-01-2008, 1:19 PM
Ed,

I absolutely hate to hear these things regarding the ULS systems. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I do not know all of the details if you like you can let me know via PM. I will see what might have happened and try to at least let the proper people no what is going on in the field.

We have been working with the ULS systems for 20+ years so if you need anything and can not get satisfactory help from your local source let me know.

Heather Sjoquist
02-01-2008, 1:26 PM
All very helpful advice. I think I am going to start with a new drawing program so I will know how to run that first. I'll keep researching the lasers in the meantime.

I currently own some high end embroidery and sewing machines so I know all about the cheerleaders of various brands.

Mike Null
02-01-2008, 1:46 PM
Heather

The software most laser people use is CorelDraw.