PDA

View Full Version : Is there any difference in the old and new Bench Dog portable router tables?

Art Wagner
01-31-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a choice between buying either:
--a new Bench Dog ProTop Contractor Bench Top #40-001 (which is now on sale at AllProTools), or
--a used Bench Dog, which I asssume is the older RT-100.

The used one is more expensive, but comes complete with a Hitachi router, a Router Raizer lift, guide set, some pushers, a foot switch, and a few used bits. I like the idea of having a lift.

Are there any significant differences in those two router tables? Would they both perform about the same?

Best wishes, Art

Art Wagner
02-01-2008, 2:16 PM
I talked with Bench Dog. Evidently there have been several shifts in the design over the years.

They thought the main differences were that the new one has a box built of birch (instead of melamine), that it's less boxy and has better sound dampening.

The new one might also have a different placement of the insert (offset, not centered) and a slightly larger table top (22" --> 24"?).

Are there any other differences?

jason lambert
02-01-2008, 4:20 PM
If they are the same model my understanding is just materal. I have the old one never had any issues with it. You do want a lift though so if the old one comes with a lift that is nice. I don't think you can go wrong eithor way. They don't really ware out.

Art Wagner
02-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, Jason. Have you had any trouble with the acrylic insert warping under the weight of a heavy router? I read a statement by a Bench Dog employee who said that the acrylic inserts were not able to withstand the weight of a heavy router. I think he was writing in Amazon's reviews in response to other reviews. I've got to say I'm impressed by his honesty.