PDA

View Full Version : TN Woodturners Symposium - Gloat

Bob Hovde
01-31-2008, 9:37 PM
For Christmas, LOML gave me a registration to the two-day Tennessee Association of Woodturners' Annual Symposium. Two days of David Ellsworth, Ernie Conover, Nick Cook and Andy Woodard turning and instructing all day long. We drove up from Huntsville AL in the morning and LOML spent the days either with a friend or at the Opryland Hotel and Mall. I didn't have to worry about anything but learning techniques for turning. What a great time! The demonstrators were all wonderful instructors and very approachable. (David showed me what I'd been doing wrong using his sharpening jig.) I'd really like to thank the members of the TAW. They put on a first class show!

If you have a weekend symposium in your area, I fully recommend attending.

Now I just have to get more time on the lathe so I can practice!

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2008, 9:49 PM
Congrats Bob! Sounds like it must have been quite the event! Glad you had a chance to go. Hope you get the chance to get on your lathe and put all that instruction to use!

Pete Jordan
01-31-2008, 9:49 PM
Congrats Bob!
It sounds like you had a wonderful time! Any Pix?

Brad Hammond
01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
oh man!! that would have been a short trip from rogersville too! congrads! sounds like a hoot!

Bob Hovde
01-31-2008, 10:29 PM
What happens to a reply when you close the browser by mistake? All those words must go somewhere. Is there a valley in Tibet that's filled with missing words?

Anyway, I took my camera but didn't take any pics! There were lots of pictures being taken, however, and I'll bet there'll be some on the TNwoodturners website.

The Instant Gallery and auction displays were awesome! There are some wonderful turners out there.

Bob

Colin Giersberg
02-23-2008, 2:32 AM
I used to be a member of the Tennessee Valley Woodworkers Club in Winchester. I only quit going to it due to moving to Athens, AL. and the drive up Winchester Road is one I would rather not make if I didn't have to. Anyway, there were several members that were good at turning. One that comes to mind is Tom Cowan.
When I was a member, the club had around 75 members. The last time I talked to one of them, the club had over 150 members. I imagine that there are more now, as it has been about three years since that time.
Bear in mind, Winchester is not a large city. Population is around 7000 ( I am guessing here ), and members come from some much smaller towns, and not all of them are that close. Just about every year, they have a club event up near Huntland, TN. at Falls Mill, which is less than a mile north of U.S. 64, and is less than two miles east of Huntland.
I wouldn't mind going to visit again, just to meet some old friends.

Regards, Colin

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 9:11 AM
Congrats Bob! Treat that woman right!

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Congrats Bob. Sounds like a good time was had by all.