PDA

View Full Version : UHMW bond to rubber

Mery Tuerah
01-31-2008, 8:26 PM
Does anyone know what adhesive should be applied to UHMWPE for it to be bonded with rubber in a compression mould? :confused:

Tom Veatch
01-31-2008, 11:41 PM
I have used "Amazing GOOP (http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html)" with varying degrees of success in bonding UHMW to wood. Don't know how well it would work with rubber.

I have found this site (http://www.thistothat.com/) to be useful although it doesn't specifically address UHMW.

Jamie Buxton
02-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Glues don't bond very well to that plastic. You might consider the VHB (Very High Bond) tapes from 3M. (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/VHB/Tapes/?WT.mc_id=www.3m.com/vhb) They get used for permanent bonding in many very demanding applications -- auto bodies, window construction, appliances, and such.

They're not your home-repair sort of products, so sourcing them in small-shop quantities is sometimes a challenge. But you can find them if you dig.

Russ Filtz
02-01-2008, 8:14 AM
Google search.

http://www.crownplastics.com/adhesive.htm

Dave Anderson NH
02-01-2008, 12:53 PM
If you are trying to bond UHMW to rubber in a heated compression mold, the UHMW is likely to melt and soften while the rubber is curing. If all you are trying to do is bond a rubber part to UHMW, everything will depend on what type of rubber. Nitrile (aka Buna-N or NBR) will bond without difficulty if you use the right adhesive. Silicone rubber will require a silicone resin base primer applied to the rubber, a very expensive option considering the minimum buy of the primer is a 5 gallon pail at about $400. Neoprene (chloroprene) might or might not bond well depending on how much and what type of plasticizer is used (plasticizers break down acrylic adhesives). EPDM, Hypalon, and SBR should bond easily and well. Flouroelastomers like Viton require a special adhesive.

Generally, for bonding UHMW to anything bondable, one of the 3M 300LSE adhesives should be used. These are specifically formulated to bond to Low Surface Energy plastics such as UHMW, HDPE, Polypropylene, Delrin, and urethanes. They are available in different thicknesses, .002, .003, and .005" with the thicker adhesives used when mating surfaces are rough or less than co-planar. Remember that the best and strongest bondline is the thinnest one which fully wets out both surfaces.

Chris Padilla
02-01-2008, 1:01 PM
Can't you just pin-nail it? ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-01-2008, 3:44 PM
Does anyone know what adhesive should be applied to UHMWPE for it to be bonded with rubber in a compression mould? :confused:

Yes: Screws

Mery Tuerah
02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
If you are trying to bond UHMW to rubber in a heated compression mold, the UHMW is likely to melt and soften while the rubber is curing. If all you are trying to do is bond a rubber part to UHMW, everything will depend on what type of rubber. Nitrile (aka Buna-N or NBR) will bond without difficulty if you use the right adhesive. Silicone rubber will require a silicone resin base primer applied to the rubber, a very expensive option considering the minimum buy of the primer is a 5 gallon pail at about $400. Neoprene (chloroprene) might or might not bond well depending on how much and what type of plasticizer is used (plasticizers break down acrylic adhesives). EPDM, Hypalon, and SBR should bond easily and well. Flouroelastomers like Viton require a special adhesive.

Generally, for bonding UHMW to anything bondable, one of the 3M 300LSE adhesives should be used. These are specifically formulated to bond to Low Surface Energy plastics such as UHMW, HDPE, Polypropylene, Delrin, and urethanes. They are available in different thicknesses, .002, .003, and .005" with the thicker adhesives used when mating surfaces are rough or less than co-planar. Remember that the best and strongest bondline is the thinnest one which fully wets out both surfaces.

the problem is i need to do the bonding in compression mould as it is where the rubber get cured at the same time.

Dave Anderson NH
02-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi Mery, Based on the curing temperatures of most rubbers, I'm afraid you're going to have to find another way to bond the UHMW. Remember that UHMW only has a rated intermittent use temerature of 100C.

Wes Billups
02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Merators: Please move if this is inappropriate!

I've got a question for others on this post. Am I the only one that finds this question a little odd for our woodworking forum? I work in the rubber industry and injection molding isn't something common to hobby or professional woodshops.

Wes

Dave Anderson NH
02-04-2008, 3:58 PM
Hi Wes, I don't know what Mery is looking for, but until and/or unless we have evidence otherwise, we always try to give new folks the benefit of the doubt as long as they aren't violating the terms of service. Perhaps it has something to do with some type of woodworking device being made. We ahve plenty of unusual materials questions here.