PDA

View Full Version : Question about curving the aprons on my coffee table

Jason Scott
01-31-2008, 7:47 PM
Hey guys,

So I've got everything dovetailed and I made an mdf template using a bender board and rought cut my apron tonight. Then I ran the flush trim bit against it and the template. My question is, did the curve come out a little too flat? I guess my bender board wasn't the best so it doesn't come to a crown at just the highest point, but rather over a flat 12" or so area at the top. It looks ok to me, but I am not sure if it should have a little more curve coming to the highest point or not, some advice would be appreciated, this is the first time I have made a curved apron. After seeing many of your alls, I decided to do it. Thanks!

Jason

Bill Wyko
01-31-2008, 9:10 PM
Honestly, I'd like to see the legs under it. There's some nice grain there so I'd wait until you have legs. You can always remove but it's trickier to put it back:DBTW very nice doves. Could you post a pic looking at it straight on?

Pete Bradley
01-31-2008, 9:29 PM
I agree, the curve doesn't look quite right. I'd cut an MDF template and then use a pattern bit. I've did a pattern once with a really big trammel (17 foot radius compass attached to the router), but since learned the triangular jig method. Given the amount of work you have in already, you definitely want to make a pattern to minimize risk to the actual parts.

Pete

Jason Scott
01-31-2008, 9:40 PM
Pete, not sure what you mean, I did use a pattern, just wondering if I should make the pattern with a little more curve and re-trim the apron?

EDIT: After looking at some of David Marks curved aprons, I think i'm just going to make a little bit better curved template and recut the curve in the apron with a little more height and length. The curve should end up ending right where the legs are. I'm going to pick up some 1/4 mdf tomorrow, trying to work with 3/4 mdf is awful for making templates, but I just used what I had on hand today.

Jason

John Michaels
02-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Here's a photo I found for comparison. The curve is a little more suttle, but pleasing. Ultimately, what looks right to you is what matters. I think a slightly curved apron like the one in this photo gives the piece a more contemporary look, while a higher arch seems more traditional. What kind a furniture is in the rest of your house?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1108263/oval_leg_hall_table.jpg

Greg Cole
02-01-2008, 9:13 AM
Hi again Jason,
I agree with Bill here, I'd like to see a full mock up-dry fit with legs before deciding. That is going to be some nice looking wod with some finish on it though...
FWIW I find much of my design detail (like aapron curve, top under bevel, whether to scrathc a bead on the aapron) is never fully decided upon until I dry fit the pieces together, but I am not one to use plans-drawings etc.... rough dimensions on a piece of paper or scrap wood at best for me.

Cheers.
Greg

Doug Shepard
02-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree, it's a bit tough to decide without the legs there. If you've got the corner posts notched out on the top of the leg blanks yet, can you Quick-Grip clamp the front two in place and take a pic? Frankly I'd be afraid to trim any more anyway without those dryclamped in place to transfer start/stop marks onto the apron.

Jason Scott
02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
I agree with you all, I do not even have the legs milled yet, guess I did the cart before the horse on this, lesson learned...The good thing is, this curve is so subtle currently I can redo it a little to match what I need...I will be milling the legs today and post another picture for advice, thanks again,

Jason

John Thompson
02-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Another for wait till you have the legs as it would be no more than an educated guess at this point. And yep.. use 1/4" MDF. On the original pattern you draw on it... take it to about 1mm-2mm outside the line with a jig saw or BS where a spindle sander.. files.. rasp.. sand-paper.. etc. gets the call to take the final smoothing to the "Promised Land".

If ya mess up the 1/4" original template.. you are not out an arm and leg as it's cheap.. The majority of my sheet good work (I use almost 100% solid wood) is cutting up sheets of MDF. I keep it on hand in my rack as it is worth it's weight in gold....

Good luck.. and that's some nice wood you have there...

Sarge..