PDA

View Full Version : jointer switch placement

david hines
01-31-2008, 7:23 PM
Hello all, I rewired my new used 1018 grizzly jointer for 110 volts and need help on where to put the switch.Do I just put it back where it came from or move it? It is a paddle switch from grizzly. Oh I bought it off craigslist for 300 and included were 2 roller stands and a grizz bench vice:D thanks for any help david hines

Wade Lippman
01-31-2008, 8:38 PM
Why did you do anything to the switch?

david hines
01-31-2008, 8:54 PM
the switch I replaced was 220 only. I bought a 110/220 switch from grizzly. I will upgrade the shop electric when our gov gives me free money lol.

Tom Veatch
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
the switch I replaced was 220 only. I bought a 110/220 switch from grizzly. I will upgrade the shop electric when our gov gives me free money lol.

Why do you say the original switch was "220 only". I'm not challenging your statement, just surprised and curious since ratings are typically for maximum or "never exceed" values and implicitly include all lesser values. Therefore, I'd expect a switch that would handly a 220v load would also handle a 110v load - assuming, of course, that the amperage/power rating of the switch wasn't exceeded.

david hines
02-01-2008, 2:53 AM
I have the original owners manual and checked grizzlys web site. It says the jointer can run on 110 but you have to change the switch. I couldnt find anything on the switch to indicate 110volts. It appears to be the original switch , so I didnt want to take any chances. The switch I installed was only 20.00 from grizzly. Is there an advantage to having the switch above the bed of the jointer ? Or just put it back where it was? thanks for any and all comments David Hines

Tom Esh
02-01-2008, 5:26 AM
...Therefore, I'd expect a switch that would handly a 220v load would also handle a 110v load - assuming, of course, that the amperage/power rating of the switch wasn't exceeded.

Probably a magnetic switch with a 220v relay coil. Most will not exert sufficient pull at 110v to overcome the spring tension and close the contacts.

George Bregar
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
To answer the question, it is advantageous to have the switch mounted high for access. But then you probably already know that.

david hines
02-01-2008, 11:08 AM
This is my first jointer and I have never used one. I have browsed all the threads and they were a great help on set-up and use, but I dont really understand why its better to have it on a post/pole. I guess my first post wasnt very clear on what I was looking for. David Hines

Al Willits
02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
My Yorkcraft has the switch high and I like it there as it gives me quick axcess to shutting it off, I did have to learn to watch swinging boards around as it could be in the way.

Al