PDA

View Full Version : TS Stabilizer questions

James Wellman
01-31-2008, 1:17 PM
I am getting back in to woodworking after a long layoff and recently built a new mobile table saw base for my Craftsman 10" TS. I installed a new power twist belt and a Vega U50 fence and everything was great. I decided to go out and get a nicer saw blade and picked up a Freud Premier-Fusion and I also got a stabilizer set as well.

Their were two stabilizers in the package but I was/am under the impression you used one in place of the washer. Anyhow I started cutting some MDF and noticed I was getting burn marks and a bit of binding on my cuts. I checked and rechecked to make sure everything was square but I still had the problem. I removed the stabilizer and now everything cuts nice and easy with no burn marks. It seems the stabilizer was actually distorting the blade.

Was I supposed to use both stabilizers, which would leave very little, if any thread left on my arbor.

Is it really even needed?

James

Lee Schierer
01-31-2008, 2:17 PM
Some stabilizers have a concave surface that is supposed to be placed toward the blade. Then when you tighten the nut, the stabilizers grip the blade at their outer rim and push toward the centerline of the blade making it stiffer.

With that blade, I doubt you will need to use stabilizers. It is a full kerf blade and not likely to flex. I have two sets of stabilizers and haven't used either one in many years. All my blades that get used are Freud blades and I've never had a problem with a blade flexing. Freud blades and many modern blades are tensioned to make them stiffer. You will not find that feature on older blades, which is why stabilizers were used.

I found this quote on the Freud literature for that blade: "The new anti-vibration reed design virtually eliminates all vibration and produces the cleanest cuts possible, making the use of a stabilizer or stiffner unnecessary."Freud Fusion (http://www.ptreeusa.com/freud_fusion_blade.htm)

Glenn Clabo
01-31-2008, 2:18 PM
James,
The Freud site says "sets"...so I think they clearly intend for you to use both. I would also think it would only make the blade conform to your existing saw arbor face if you use only one...which would make the stabilizer less useful.
Here's what the site says...
These sets of saw blade stabilizers are precision machined and balanced to give an added amount of stability. Freud Stabilizer sets not only improve the cut, but make the saw cut quieter, and extend it’s cutting life between sharpenings.

Lee Koepke
01-31-2008, 2:21 PM
If you used both stablizers on either side of the blade, wouldnt that push the blade farther from its normal seating position? that would affect your ZCI slot, I would think

James Wellman
01-31-2008, 3:11 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. It cut so smooth and crisp without it and based on the comments it is not needed. I did put a black streak on my pretty new blade though :mad:.

john bateman
01-31-2008, 3:12 PM
I have the Freud stabilizers, and you must use both. If you just use one it will attempt to bend the blade over the face of the arbor when you tighten the nut. You may have already distorted the blade.

James Wellman
01-31-2008, 3:28 PM
I have the Freud stabilizers, and you must use both. If you just use one it will attempt to bend the blade over the face of the arbor when you tighten the nut. You may have already distorted the blade.

I was really worried about that last night but I only made two cuts with it on small MDF test pieces. After I removed it the cuts came out great on the MDF so I moved on to some pine and oak. Everything was square so I think my new expensive blade is good to go.

Joe Spear
01-31-2008, 4:13 PM
There is some dispute about it, but most people find blade stabilizers unnecessary. I have used the kind where you need two and the kind where you need one (Forrest). It didn't make a darn bit of difference in the cut, but the things do limit how high the blade can be raised if you use zero-clearance inserts.

Howard Acheson
01-31-2008, 6:19 PM
>> Their were two stabilizers in the package but I was/am under the impression you used one in place of the washer.

You MUST use both stabilizers. They are designed to grip the blade and have a raised ridge on one side. If you only use one, it will cause the blade to warp and it will not cut correctly and may permanently damage the blade. Some stabilizers like the one sold by Forrest are designed to be use singly. They are just a flat plate.

There is absolutely no need for stabilizers on the Freud Fusion. It is a full kerf blade and cuts perfectly without stabilizers.

Whoever sold you those stabilizers did not do you a favor.

Bruce Wrenn
01-31-2008, 7:09 PM
I have three different stabilizers on my saw. They are all lying on the shelf between the body of the saw, and the stand. Probably won't ever be moved from there. With the quality of today's blades, they aren't necessary.