PDA

View Full Version : Respirator

Sean Troy
01-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey all, does anyone know of a child size respirator with a good rating? My girls want to do some turning again and in the past , they have used mine but it doesn't fit correctly . Thanks for any help, Sean

Mark Rios
01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Auto body supply stores (real jobber stores, not Kragen or Super Auto, etc.) will have small and extra small respirators. Look in your Yellow Pages under Automobile Body Shops Equipment and Supplies.

Joe Pack
01-31-2008, 2:31 PM
Hi Sean.

Before I got my Triton, I used an interesting respirator called the Resp-O-Rator. It is modeled on a diver's snorkel, with 1 micron filters. Imagine a snorkel fitting in your mouth, with the arm (two arms, actually) laying over your shoulder pointing behind you. The filters are attached to the ends of the arms. I used it for 2 years for all my lathe and sanding work, and still reach for it if I'm just doing a quick job.

I bought this because my beard keeps regular respirators from sealing and because regular respirators were too heavy to wear standing at the lathe for several hours a day. It weighs nothing, and one size fits all. If the mouthpiece is a tad too large, it can easily be trimmed and, when necessary, replaced.

You can check it out on the originator's web site at http://www.duxterity.com/

One retail source is Hartville Tool (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834). And I believe either Rockler or Woodcraft (both) carries this product.

Hope this helps.

Michael N Taylor
01-31-2008, 3:42 PM
the 3m respirators come in small medium and large and are excellent. I have the 7500 and would not change

Gordon Harner
01-31-2008, 7:00 PM
OSHA has a respiratory protection standard that requires (in addition to a medical evaluation and a lot of other requirements) that a worker be fit tested to be sure that the respirator does not leak at the sealing surfaces. As a result, respirators are made in different materials and sizes. Typically 3 sizes are offered for each model. Additionally, as my wife reminds me a small in brand x is not the same as a small in brand y. My suggestion is to contact an industrial safety supplier and lokk over what's available. A couple of good brands are North and MSA always look for a NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) approved respirator. Also discuss what you want them for dust, fumes etc because they need specific cartridges. Get directions for cleaning and storage. Improper storage will wear out the cartridge.

Bob Slater
01-31-2008, 7:15 PM
I bought a few 3M half face respirators last week. They were on sale for $7.00. You can ad the cartridge you like for the type of hazard you plan on running in to. The Organic fume/acid/hepa filter cost $17. The dust filters are far cheaper. You can test fit them by taking the cartridges off and placing your hands over the vents. If no air comes in you have a good fit. I have a full face 6800 for the heavy duty stuff. My favorite pieces of equipment really.