PDA

View Full Version : Inca 710 bandsaw

James Hart
01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
I have an opportunity to pick up this bandsaw and I'm having a heck of a time finding out about i throught searches here or elsewhere on the web. I know it's a 3-wheel bandsaw but that's about it.

Anyone have any knowledge on this one and whether it's worth buying? If so, what would be a good price?

Thanks,

Jim

Kevin Adams
01-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Jim--

I had one for a while. It is an extremely impressive machine from a pure details standpoint. It also is a lot of machine in a relatively small footprint. However, it is not a heavy duty machine. The saw does have some flex to it (given it's design and 3-wheel format). I also had an issue with blades breaking.

I am a big fan of Inca and have some of their other machines (including the small 10.5" bandsaw) and I think they are great for what they are. I was disappointed that I couldn't get the 710 to work the way I wanted. Make sure you see it in person and try it out. Is it the old Inca green or the later blue color? I like the older green machines in general (Swiss-made), but I think the 710 was one where they did make improvements with the tensioning mechanism of the 3rd wheel when they went with the blue (French-made) saw. As for cost, probably anywhere from $500 or $600 all the way up to over $1,000. This was about a $1,600+ saw when new. They do show up on ebay once in a while, but you don't see this one too often.

If you want a real honest assessment from an expert, call up Jesse at Eagle Tools in CA. There is also an Inca board on Yahoo where you can ask for opinions from some good folks.

Kevin

John Bailey
01-31-2008, 4:11 PM
I think most will tell you that all 3 wheel bandsaws should be avoided. That would be my opinion. However, if you still want a 3 wheeler, I've read that the Inca is probably the best one out there.

John

Jim Becker
01-31-2008, 8:54 PM
My cabinet maker neighbor (who is also an artist) has the big Inca and it's an impressive machine. It's pretty much the only three-wheeler I'd ever consider using. Massive. Well built.

kent borcherding
01-31-2008, 9:22 PM
The 710 has some tracking adjustments , but if you are familiar with bandsaw should not be a problem.

Also I would prefer the green ones made in Switzerland , the blue ones were designed in Switzerland but made in France.

The same company that made the Inca in France also made the Kity bandsaws you used to see at woodworking shows.

The 10.5 Inca if I remember correctly maybe 210? , is a probably one o the best small bandsaws ever made.

I would not hesitate going $600 if you run it and seems to run properly.

If it is the green one actually worth that in parts.

Dave MacArthur
02-01-2008, 2:12 AM
Welcome Kent!

James, if you post what your optimal bandsaw is, I'd be happy to PM you with some possible matches in Phoenix. My only online search each day is looking at bandsaws for sale in Phoenix. Not sure why, as I'm pretty set on a Grizzly 514x2 or 636 if I get crazy, but I do enjoy shopping bandsaws, and see pretty good deals on them in Phx almost weekly... I guess it's grown into a kind of hobby, and I'd love for someone to be able to get some use from my efforts!

I swung by AZ Hardwoods today (27th Ave/Thomas) to look at some old bandsaws (they have like 10 PM141s in various states of repair), and take some photos side by side of the Steel City 18" and the ShopFox 19" they have on display; but due to traffic I arrived after closing :(

Ron Dunn
02-01-2008, 4:33 AM
I have an Inca 10.5" 2-wheel bandsaw. Not quite sure why, but it is referred to by the manufacturer as a model 260, and in sales literature as a model 340.

They're a great little saw, but they carry a big risk ... they are no longer manufactured, and the supply of spare parts is becoming an issue. I recently sourced some urethane tyres from Sulphur Grove Toolworks, but I'm quite worried about what will happen if something goes wrong with the motor.

I also have an Inca 570 jointer/thicknesser combination machine. If I'm worried about the bandsaw, I'm TERRIFIED by the future availability of parts like drive mechanisms for the planer. As much as I love the machine, I've started to think about selling it to an enthusiast who values the name, and buying a machine from a big name manufacturer with a longer expectancy of spare parts and support.

As for pricing, you've been referred to the Yahoo Group ... go there to discuss value, etc., and you'll get good advice.

Larry Conely
02-01-2008, 9:06 AM
The Yahoo site is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/incawoodworking/

jim tracy
02-01-2008, 9:30 AM
Ron,

I too have the Inca 340 and it is/was the best bench top bandsaw made. Now that I am more into turning, I am on the hunt for a new bigger bandsaw. But I will keep the 340!

The old 710 was a good 3 wheel bandsaw, but with replacement parts drying up, I would pass on buying one........

Don Bullock
02-01-2008, 9:36 AM
Jessie at Eagle Tools in Los Angeles, California is considered by many to be an expert on Inca tools. Their website has contact information.
http://www.eagle-tools.com/

Dave MacArthur
02-02-2008, 3:08 AM
James,
I talked to the guy selling the Inca--he has a whole shop of Inca, including a jointer/planer 550 I believe. Unless you're an Inca enthusiast, I'd pass--for just a working bandsaw with no brand-emotional commitment, you can get much more for much less $.