PDA

View Full Version : OK, another bandsaw need opinions fast, Is it worth it?

Jason Scott
01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,

So lost out on the last bandsaw I tried to buy and found another one, I know nothing about this brand so I need help, here it is:

General International 14" Band saw 2 new blades less than 1 year old only used a few times, he wants 400.00

What should I do, I have 400.00, is it worth it, I don't know anything about General?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Beam
01-31-2008, 11:35 AM
First, General International and General are different. General is made in canada. General International is General's answer to offering a lower-cost line and is (i think) made in Thaiwan like Jet, PM, Delta and most of the others.

I don't have any direct experience with G or GI, but a friend has that bandsaw and likes it. He doesn't use it as much as I probably would as he is more of a pen turner than a furniture maker.

I personally think $400 is pushing it unless it has the riser kit, a fence, a quick-release tension mechanism and bearing guides. Then I'd give it consideration. But for the stock bare-bones saw, $400 is a bit much for used, IMHO. If he'll take 300, maybe I'd go for it. That's just me :)

Jason Scott
01-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Jason, thanks, here is a picture of it

Bob Aquino
01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey guys,

So lost out on the last bandsaw I tried to buy and found another one, I know nothing about this brand so I need help, here it is:

General International 14" Band saw 2 new blades less than 1 year old only used a few times, he wants 400.00

What should I do, I have 400.00, is it worth it, I don't know anything about General?

Thanks,

Jason

You can get the grizzly go5580 for 399 and that includes shipping. GI is not general, its another Taiwanese import. If you are going to spend that much, go with new. Or offer the guy 300 after you see it.

Travis Gauger
01-31-2008, 11:44 AM
This is the same saw that I have. I really enjoy it. I do a lot of resawing on it but mostly stock up to only 6 inches or so. Plenty of power with a good resaw blade on it. Tensions up a 3/4" blade without a problem. Things that I don't like about it are all related to the size and not the brand. It won't tension a 1" blade. Not many 14" saws will though. It is a stamped steel frame so you can't put an extension block on it. When I was looking for a BS, this was just the best band for the buck for my use. I would pay $400 for this though, in fact, let me know if you don't buy it as a friend is in the market also. :-)

keith ouellette
01-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Does it have cast iron wheels? If not you could do just as well new at grizzly i think. Offer less and see. You could check the grizzly prices and let the guy know you could buy new for that price if it pans out.

Jason Scott
01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Wow, shows what I know, I thought this would be a steal just from looking at it...I really want a "closed stand" band saw, are the grizzlys you all are talking about close stand? I will see if he is willing to negotiate, but my general reaction to these things are that they will not:

1. B/c someone will always pay it
2. B/c they are involving emotions in the price, like "i'm not gonna lose money"

We'll see, I really want a jet or better yet a powermatic, but I just don't want to spend a grand on this, and I can't find PM's used anywhere.

jason

John Bailey
01-31-2008, 4:17 PM
I've seen that saw quite a few times and thought it a good machine. I would tell you, however, that they often don't sell on the auction sites. I think that's because of the inability to put a riser on it. If you don't need the resaw height, it'll probably be a good saw. You just have to know it's limitations. If it were me, I would probably pass because I like the cast iron saws in the 14" models.

John

Tim Marks
01-31-2008, 4:58 PM
When you compare this to the Grizzly G0555, you are comparing apples to oranges (cast iron bandsaws to welded steel frame bandsaws). You could compare it to Grizzly's steel frame 14" BS, the G0457, which sells for $825.

The General International 14 actually would probably be better compared to the Rikon 10-320, which also has aluminum wheels (instead of the cast iron of its updated and MUCH more expensive later version, the 10-325, and the Grizzly G0457). I paid $429 for my Rikon in November 2004 and you can buy it today for $525 (new 10-325s sell for more like $800).

http://www.toolcenter.com/10-320.html
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=15239

Brian Clevenger
01-31-2008, 9:59 PM
A very similar saw, the Craftsman 22401, sells new for $500. It has went on sale for a whole lot less though.

I've had a 22401 for a couple of years with no complaints. I hope to upgrade it to a vintage 20" though.

Jason Scott
02-01-2008, 12:53 PM
OK, he said he would take 350, but it is about a 4 hours round trip for me, and he said someone is suppose to be buying it today, but if it falls through I can have a shot at it...I feel like with the driving it will cost me another 50-100 so that puts it at 450...

John Bailey
02-01-2008, 1:25 PM
I think the Grizzly GO555 "Ultimate" (not the X) is $469 delivered from Grizzly. No drive or hassles and you get the new warranty. The Griz is well thought of and should last you forever. (That means until you feel the need for a bigger bandsaw.)

John

Lance Norris
02-01-2008, 1:48 PM
I think the Grizzly GO555 "Ultimate" (not the X) is $469 delivered from Grizzly. No drive or hassles and you get the new warranty. The Griz is well thought of and should last you forever. (That means until you feel the need for a bigger bandsaw.)

John

And with a riser block, you can increase the resaw height, something you cant do with the GI. I have the Grizzly G0457. It has 10" of resaw height. I never figured I'd use anywhere near that much height. I have needed that much, several times now, since owning it. Sure glad I had the capacity.

Roger Morris
02-01-2008, 4:11 PM
You can get the shop fox 14" bandsaw for about $500, and that has cast iron wheels.

Jason Scott
02-01-2008, 5:29 PM
yeah, guess I'm passing on this one, I just don't want to drive that far for a so so deal...Thanks guys for the help!

Bill Wyko
02-01-2008, 7:16 PM
The Rikon 14" is around 500 too.