PDA

View Full Version : Ready to purchase my miter... some qs

Brad Ridgway
01-31-2008, 9:19 AM
Ok so i have read the amazon, epinions reviews and several threads here. I'm 99% sure i want the C10FSH... Was between this and the makita...

I went to lowes last weekend and this thing with the aux right side fence seems like a winner. Headflex was next to nill which is huge (not so for 12" right beside it) Ya the laser behind the guard is a bummer, but if it's accurate, i'm there and once you've clamped it down, why do i really need to see it?

So why am i posting if i know what i want?

1) i see past posts here stating amazon deals in the 200-300 range. Is that true, its currently 430 + free router. If those deals come frequently, i'd likely wait, but i've been checking the last week hoping against hope and no 300 :) Not sure if with the free shipping it'd get here for the free router cutoff (postmarked by 2/15)...

2) since this is belt drive, can/should i buy some more vlink belt and replace or is the belt notched? assuming it would be the 3/8 variety?

3) blade... i've got a few 10"s for my table saw including a thin-kerf woodworker, a combo CMT. Several of the reviews say stock plade is ok, but i'm thinking a dedicated cross cut blade? any strong recomendations?was looking at these two freuds:
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-TK806-Avanti-Finish-Crosscut/dp/B00004T7QV/ $50!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-TKR806-80-Tooth-Perma-SHIELD-Crosscut/dp/B00004T7PI/ $86

thx in advance

Don Bullock
01-31-2008, 9:46 AM
Brad,

1.) I have the Hitachi C10FSH 10-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser that I bought last spring from Amazon. Yes, the price was in the $200 - $300 range you mentioned. It was one of those deals on Amazon that pops up during the day and was posted here on Sawmill Creek. The deal was only up for a few hours during the middle of the day. At the time I was thinking of paying more for a non-slider. It even came with "free shipping." I have no idea if and when such a deal will pop up again.

2.) All I can say is that I don't see any reason for the extra expense. The saw works fine the way it is.

3.) I'll pass on this one and leave remarks to those who are experts on saw blades. I can add, however, that the blade that came with the saw is working fine for me.

Good luck.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-31-2008, 9:52 AM
Ditto to Don, no need to mess with the belt, it works perfectly. Personally, I would have picked the Makita (and did). They are both good saws though, and you will like your Hitachi.

Brad Ridgway
01-31-2008, 4:40 PM
Well i called lowes and they agreed to drop to 405 which with tax was less than amazon. Plug i get it today and the free router. Overall, i can't complain...

thx!

-brad

Jim O'Dell
01-31-2008, 7:20 PM
Brad, don't look for my recent post on buying the C10FSH at Lowes here. :eek: Up until I read your last post, I was going to suggest talking to the tool mgr there. This saw is now in non-stock status at Lowes. They are starting to deal on them. Actually I had narrowed down to the same two saws you had, but had the Makita in first place for the larger size of the table and bigger motor. But I purchased the Hitachi at a price I couldn't refuse. Also look on Amazon. There is a link to a cash refund through Hitachi that I think you will qualify for. ($25.00) See this : https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/01/16/77/97/116779710.pdf
On the blade, you want a negative hook angle blade for an SCMS...I think I have that right. Same blade as for a radial arm saw. Freud's is a LU91 something. Forrest is the Chopmaster. I forget what the Systematic is. I think the blade that comes on the saw is a thin kerf. I haven't done much with mine yet. Cut a cardboard tube for a roller blind, and 2 test cuts on some cheap BB ply.
I think you can notch the rubber flap so that the laser is visable longer as you proceed with the cut. I will wait to do that 'till I use it some. I'm hopefully going to start the mobile cabinet for mine this weekend. We'll see. Enjoy it! Jim.

Brad Ridgway
01-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Jim, indeed i did see yours which is what prompted the call. They flat out refused to go anywhere near that ever with the stock discussions, etc. They only had two in the box in the store and i figured i didn't have a lot of bargaining room... I know i could have done better with time (be it amazon / etc)

The 91 freud is exactly what i was looking at later in the day. I think i'm going that route...

3 more questions on these:

1) do you use stabalizers on thin-kerf blades in a miter as you do in a TS? I don't see this mentions in the hitachi doc...

2) anyone bought / recommend the attachments for crown molding. The molding supports got 1 realy bad review at amazon (and no good ones)...

3)i have what i think is a 2.5" fitting for dust collection. But it appears to be same size as the DC outlet of the saw. Do they make a fitting that would work in this instance? Woodcraft didn't have much in this size last time i was there...

i think that;s it... i need to go extend my shop 16 feet and built the miter station...

Jim O'Dell
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
WHEW!! I sure didn't want the be the bearer of that news. :D I feel very fortunate that I got that deal since I didn't get one from the store that originally ran it.

To your questions:
1. I wondered the same thing. I also have never seen the stabilizers mentioned for a SCMS. I doubt that there is enough "arbor" to add one to the blade. I just don't think it would fit.
2. I hadn't even considered the attachments. If I ever get to the point of doing large crown moulding (with 8' ceilings, I doubt that will happen) I hope I can rig something to extend the fence myself. If not, I'll drop 15 and punt. :rolleyes:
3. I used the coupler that came with my convertible Ridgid shop vac to attach the blower nozzel to the output of the blower. It fits the 2 1/2" to 2 1/2" hoses perfectly. You might look at Home Depot in the adaptors by their shop vacs and see if it available as an accessory.
Good luck on the shop remodel!!:eek: Jim.

Fred Woodward
02-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Lowe's here ran that saw a couple of weeks ago for $250. Nice saw for that price for sure. The stops for crown cutting worked fine for me. I would try the saw for a little bit before I put more into it. You might find something else you need more.
Just my .02

Jim O'Dell
02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Fred, if you bought one at the 250.00 price, you qualify for the 25.00 rebate. Unsure from your post if you bought one, or just saw them on sale. Jim.