PDA

View Full Version : Veritas twin-screw as a leg vise.

Jameel Abraham
01-31-2008, 9:07 AM
I was thinking how this vise, mounted vertically, would work? The second screw would act as the pivot board I'm guessing. This would solve the problem of stooping to adjust the pin in the pivot board, as well as the "X" pivot method. As for the chain tension, an idler sprocket here would fill the bill. Heck, I've seen leg vises with the pivot as a second screw-and-bolt arrangement--although I always though this was a dreadfully slow and tedious method. The Veritas has the capability to disengage the second screw, so one could adjust vise for a slight amount of toe-in (I gleaned this from the instructions--never actually seen one though) For those with the twin-screw, thoughts?

Randy Klein
01-31-2008, 9:21 AM
From what I read, there is still some racking when using the twin screw vise outside the screws. Chris Schwarz discussed this in his book or his blog. It was much less than normal vises though.

I think trying to use an expensive twin screw, just to eliminate having to adjust the pivot point every now and then, is not worth cost, IMO.

John Thompson
01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I have the twin screw end mounted and love it. Unless you just have money to throw around.. I would not see the point of purchasing one for just as leg vise as Randy mentioned. I just don't see the value in doing so and probably if there were any.. someone would have already done it and proclaimed the value. Just a guess on my part.

Sarge..

Chris Friesen
01-31-2008, 2:18 PM
If you're considering the twin-screw, why not just use it as a twin-screw face vice? Chris Schwarz really likes this style in his latest bench. The advantage is that you can clamp panels up to 24" vertically between the screws for dovetailing and such, and can clamp long boards horizontally (in his blog he talks about edge-planing a 10-foot 1x12 board held just with the vise).

Take a look at this monster, for instance...

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Three+Cultures+One+Workbench.aspx

Thomas Knighton
01-31-2008, 3:48 PM
If you want a leg vise, the hardware for a standard vise is just a fraction of the cost of the Veritas twin screw set-up. If you don't want to adjust the bottom of the leg vise, then you'll probably want some other type of vise.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a perfect vise ;)

Tom

Jameel Abraham
01-31-2008, 7:19 PM
No, I'm not considering the twin screw just for the twin screw. And you're right Thomas, a screw for a typical leg vise is cheaper, but if I did a leg vise, I would not want the parrallel guide, but rather something self-adjusting. I like the X-guide (also called the St. Peter Cross) for that very reason. The Shaker bench with two screws--the lower with a nut against the bench leg--got me thinking about the Veritas mounted vertically. So yeah, it's more expensive, but it's also ready-to-go and I won't have to fabricate the X-guide or parrallel guide. So I guess my question would be for you twin-screw users, do you ever clamp off the end of the vise--as it were--a leg vise mounted horizontally?

John Thompson
01-31-2008, 7:45 PM
I clamped three times off the end outside the screw within the last 6 hours, Jameel. But... I do it sparingly with situations that won't be subjectd to any major force. It just doesn't have the death grip that can be obtained between the screws. It will cant slightly.. but not enough to be a major factor with what I do use it for.

So... maybe that will give you some in-sight to if it will meet your needs of what you intend.

Sarge..