PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bowl # 23

steven carter
01-31-2008, 9:03 AM
This is another cherry bowl 7" x 2.5". This bowl is for the Superintendent of Liberty Country Club, Bruce Gregory. Bruce had his crew cut this tree up for me after it died on hole #12. I would like to say that the removal of the tree made the hole easier to play, but it really had little effect on this 170-195 yard par three, unless you decide to play your first shot at 120 yards and to the right.:( Finished in my usual way, sanded to 320 and home brew oil finish and buffed. Comments and critiques appreciated.

Christopher Hunter
01-31-2008, 9:06 AM
Great form and finish!!!, sorry the hole isn't any better for ya,
--Chris

Ron Drew
01-31-2008, 9:09 AM
Very nice Steve. Cherry is one of my favorite woods, and I turn with it quite a bit. Ron

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2008, 9:10 AM
Another great looking bowl! Great form and love the way you have the lip slanted! Once again - very nice work!

robert hainstock
01-31-2008, 9:55 AM
Howcould you not like cherry. Beautiful work.:D
Bob

Tom Sherman
01-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Nice Cherry bowl Steve. When I read your post, I thought at first that you were talking about finishing the hole as usual I thought you 'sanded' the ball.

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Great looking bowl Steve. Nice form and finish. Steve just take a nice easy seven wood and lay it on the green.

Tim Brooks
01-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Wow, beautiful bowl. I have a question though...

Is that a pith I see in the bowl? I thought piths are bad? :confused: I'm brand new at the bowl turning thing (I turned 3 and working on my 4th) and I'm trying to gain an understanding on what parts of the tree one can use or not use.

Are all piths not created equal?

Dennis Peacock
01-31-2008, 1:12 PM
Keeper seems to come to mind here. :)

Beautiful cherry and nice form!!!!

steven carter
01-31-2008, 1:51 PM
Tim,

The pith of the log was above the rim of the bowl. Sometimes you will find within the bowl places where limbs started to form and then die out, at least this is what I think happens. (If anyone knows better what these are, please respond) It seems to me that they leave the circles that would have turned into the pith of the limb. When they are in this stage they don't cause any problem, just some grain variations. Other times you will find a lot of bark within a bowl blank that can cause problems, often there is no indication of this when you start to rough out the blank. I call this the Forest Gump effect, you never know what you are going to get when you get into wood. In bowl 22 that I posted today you can see a fairly large knot that was inside the wood. The knot had a hole in the middle which I filled with sawdust and CA. There was no indication of this until I came upon it when hollowing out the bowl. Hope this helps.

Tim Brooks
01-31-2008, 2:14 PM
Tim,

The pith of the log was above the rim of the bowl. Sometimes you will find within the bowl places where limbs started to form and then die out, at least this is what I think happens. (If anyone knows better what these are, please respond) It seems to me that they leave the circles that would have turned into the pith of the limb. When they are in this stage they don't cause any problem, just some grain variations. Other times you will find a lot of bark within a bowl blank that can cause problems, often there is no indication of this when you start to rough out the blank. I call this the Forest Gump effect, you never know what you are going to get when you get into wood. In bowl 22 that I posted today you can see a fairly large knot that was inside the wood. The knot had a hole in the middle which I filled with sawdust and CA. There was no indication of this until I came upon it when hollowing out the bowl. Hope this helps.

Huh! Very interesting. --note to self, you learned something today.

Thank you so much for the information.

Ben Gastfriend
01-31-2008, 5:52 PM
Really nice bowl. Those little inclusions where the branches were really add to the figure. I also like the slanted rim. Great job,

Mike A. Smith
01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Beauty Steven, thanks for sharing it!