PDA

View Full Version : A little help please

Joseph Green
03-04-2004, 10:48 PM
I finally got some pens done and I want to post them here. When I try I get a page that reads Cannot Open Page. As if I am going to a web site. Please help.

Joe

John Miliunas
03-04-2004, 11:03 PM
I finally got some pens done and I want to post them here. When I try I get a page that reads Cannot Open Page. As if I am going to a web site. Please help.

Joe

Hi Joe,

When do you get that message? Typically, you would type your post, then go down toward the bottom and click "Manage Attachments". This should bring you to another window, where you can browse to the location of your pics. (Make sure they're under 100KB in size, each.) Find the file you want and hit "Add this file". Depending on your connection, this may take a bit to show up in the bottom part of that window. Continue this process with up to five pictures. When finished, click "all done" and it will bring you back to the "reply" window. Do NOT try to "preview reply" at this point, just submit it. If you included something in error, you can always edit it after it's posted. Hope this helps...If not, give us a bit more detail and we'll try to work you through it. It usually works pretty well. :cool:

Joseph Green
03-05-2004, 6:15 AM
Hi Joe,

When do you get that message? Typically, you would type your post, then go down toward the bottom and click "Manage Attachments". This should bring you to another window, where you can browse to the location of your pics. (Make sure they're under 100KB in size, each.) Find the file you want and hit "Add this file". Depending on your connection, this may take a bit to show up in the bottom part of that window. Continue this process with up to five pictures. When finished, click "all done" and it will bring you back to the "reply" window. Do NOT try to "preview reply" at this point, just submit it. If you included something in error, you can always edit it after it's posted. Hope this helps...If not, give us a bit more detail and we'll try to work you through it. It usually works pretty well. :cool:

John,
Thanks for your help. I have done everything that you have said. I am getting a page that is the same page as if you went to a web site that could not be opened. "Cannot Open Page". It tells me to check my connections and try to refresh the page. Then at the bottom is a line that states: Could not detect DNS server.

Joe

John Miliunas
03-05-2004, 8:02 AM
John,
Thanks for your help. I have done everything that you have said. I am getting a page that is the same page as if you went to a web site that could not be opened. "Cannot Open Page". It tells me to check my connections and try to refresh the page. Then at the bottom is a line that states: Could not detect DNS server.

Joe

Bummer! OK. Let's try a couple other things. For one, do you have any firewall software running, such as Zone Alarm or Black Ice Defender, Norton, etc....? If so, try to disable it and try again. If it still doesn't resolve the connection, go to your browser's cache and completely clear it out, close your browser and restart it. Try again.

Another possibility is that you got stuck with a piece of mal-ware from somewhere. If that's the case, go here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ , find the free version of Adaware, download & install it. Then, before running it, make sure you find the link on the app to check for updates and do so. Once you've checked and/or downloaded updates, run the app. You'd be surprised how much crap you accumulate, even from what appears to be very benign browsing! The caveat with Adaware is, if you downloaded/installed some piece of shareware or freeware and the particular program(s) had some mal-ware as part of its payload, there's a real good chance that Adaware will disable the program(s), as well. Once done, clear out your cache again and retry. Keep us posted as to progress....And good luck! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-05-2004, 9:29 AM
Bummer! OK. Let's try a couple other things. For one, do you have any firewall software running, such as Zone Alarm or Black Ice Defender, Norton, etc....? If so, try to disable it and try again. If it still doesn't resolve the connection, go to your browser's cache and completely clear it out, close your browser and restart it. Try again.

Hey Mr. Tech Support..!!!!! :D

Got time to work on a 64 processor Alpha Marvel server with 80 Terabytes of disk storage? I got one here that has a pretty bad cough and I think you could fix it up just fine. ;)

John Miliunas
03-05-2004, 9:45 AM
Hey Mr. Tech Support..!!!!! :D

Got time to work on a 64 processor Alpha Marvel server with 80 Terabytes of disk storage? I got one here that has a pretty bad cough and I think you could fix it up just fine. ;)

Ah yeah...Sure. Not a problem. Do it ALL the time! Uhhhh...One question, though: Is that Alpha Marvel some type of new comic I haven't seen? :D 80 Terabytes, huh? Yeah, a guy could stick an mp3 or two on that puppy, hey? :cool:

Jerry Stringer
03-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Ah yeah...Sure. Not a problem. Do it ALL the time! Uhhhh...One question, though: Is that Alpha Marvel some type of new comic I haven't seen? :D 80 Terabytes, huh? Yeah, a guy could stick an mp3 or two on that puppy, hey? :cool:

Hi Joe!!

Good to see you on the forums! Gang . . . meet Joe . . . he was the "Assistant Pen Tube Counter" at our recent tube counting marathon!!!

I appreciate the help.

As far as your computer problems, the only words of encouragement I can offer are . . .

That's why I love my MAC!!!! OK, so they are a gloat . . . so sue me!!

Have a great day!!

Jerry

Joseph Green
03-05-2004, 5:43 PM

Another possibility is that you got stuck with a piece of mal-ware from somewhere. If that's the case, go here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ , find the free version of Adaware, download & install it. Then, before running it, make sure you find the link on the app to check for updates and do so. Once you've checked and/or downloaded updates, run the app. You'd be surprised how much crap you accumulate, even from what appears to be very benign browsing! The caveat with Adaware is, if you downloaded/installed some piece of shareware or freeware and the particular program(s) had some mal-ware as part of its payload, there's a real good chance that Adaware will disable the program(s), as well. Once done, clear out your cache again and retry. Keep us posted as to progress....And good luck! :cool:

John,
I did all that you said (I think). What exactly do you mean by clear the IE cache? When I hit the add file button now nothing seems to happen. I don't get the message I was getting. I don't get anything. Thanks for all the help with this.

Joe

Joseph Green
03-05-2004, 5:46 PM

John,
Okay, now I am getting somewhere. I got a message that tells me the file is too big. How do I make it smaller. I am using adobe Elements or Kodak Easy Share.

Joe

Jim Becker
03-05-2004, 6:22 PM
In Adobe Elements, you can either manually resize to no more than 500 pixels wide and choose "low" when the JPG save box comes up or use the handy "Save for Web" entry in the File menu.

John Miliunas
03-05-2004, 7:17 PM
In Adobe Elements, you can either manually resize to no more than 500 pixels wide and choose "low" when the JPG save box comes up or use the handy "Save for Web" entry in the File menu.

Yeah, what Jim said! :D :cool:

Joseph Green
03-05-2004, 7:26 PM

Well, I found out how to do all that and now I am back to the message that says "Cannot Find Server." To tell you the truth this is getting to be more trouble than it is worth. I can't even find how to edit my profile to put my picture on.

Thanks Again,
Joe

Jackie Outten
03-05-2004, 8:01 PM
If you want to put your avatar in all you have to do is go to the user cp button over to the the far right side of the sawmillcreek logo. Then click on avatar and follow the directions. If you have problems send me a PM (private message) with your picture and I will put it in for you.

Jackie Outten

Joseph Green
03-05-2004, 8:39 PM
If you want to put your avatar in all you have to do is go to the user cp button over to the the far right side of the sawmillcreek logo. Then click on avatar and follow the directions. If you have problems send me a PM (private message) with your picture and I will put it in for you.

Jackie Outten

Jackie,
Thanks for the help. I think I did it right this time. I am just getting into all this stuff you add to the forums. I am used to just typing a message and leaving it at that.

Joe

Jackie Outten
03-06-2004, 1:38 PM
No problem Joe. I am sure you will get the hang of this board in no time.

Jackie