PDA

View Full Version : New jig saw

Dwain Lambrigger
01-31-2008, 6:53 AM
This weekend, I have been given permission to pull the plug on a new jig saw. I have had a "man-crush" on the 1591EVSK from Bosch for a long time. Lots of power, smooth operation, and I really like the option of using the barrel handle. From what I hear, most agree out there. I just wanted to see if there were anywhere else I should be looking. I need to keep this purchase UNDER $200.00. That keeps Festool out of the conversation.

Anyone have any thoughts on something else I should try before I take the plunge on the Bosch?

Thanks,

Dwain

Brian Penning
01-31-2008, 7:07 AM
Nope! Buy the Bosch.

Paul Greathouse
01-31-2008, 7:12 AM
Given your price range, buy the Bosch. You will not be disappointed. Heck, given any price range you still won't be disappointed.

Michael Gibbons
01-31-2008, 7:32 AM
I have the PC d handle. I have no experience with the Bosch but have heard good things. I don't really use mine a whole lot but it's there if I need it. I think I paid 169 for mine.

Bob Slater
01-31-2008, 8:08 AM
The Bosch is the first power saw I bought. Fantastic piece of work.

jack howery
01-31-2008, 8:13 AM
Not Sure If Sale Is Still On But Amazon Had Some Nice Discounts On The Bosch Jigsaws.

Luther Oswalt
01-31-2008, 8:54 AM
That'a s good saw and the blade release looks like it is a great improvement over the older (and the cheaper model that I have) ... I almost bought one last week but I decided to try and fix the older one I have. Here it is for a little less than $160 ... http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/jig_saws/all_jig_saws/1591evsk.html
Leo

Jim Becker
01-31-2008, 9:30 AM
The Bosch with the blade guides is reported to be a most-excellent tool.

frank shic
01-31-2008, 9:38 AM
great jigsaw!

John Revilla
01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Bosch user here. Great jigsaw. I also had the Dewalt and a pair of Craftsman. Godspeed.

John Browne
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Great saw. I have the 1591 D handle and it cuts amazingly well. From what I've read about the Festool (and I love Festool), it's not as good a saw--very difficult to see the cut line. So I don't think you're taking 2nd best with the Bosch.

Tomislav Biric
01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I have the 1591 barrel handle - other than a couple times where it's large size made it difficult to make a particular cut (more when I am working on the honeydo list than when I am woodworking), I don't think there is anything I would change about it.

Plus, it's a relative bargain at around $175 delivered.

John Thompson
01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
I thought I knew what a jig-saw was having owned several over the years as the box they came in proclaimed they were a jig-saw. Around 6 years ago my company purchased one for me along with some other goodies as a perk to build a 100" round, show counter for our large facility.

I chose the Bosch barrel grip and only after using it realized what a jig-saw really is. I was able to try the FT at a Wood-working show and will tell you that you aren't making a trade-off for performance by going with the less expensive Bosch in this case.

The Bosch is the best jig-saw I have ever had in my hand. I would not trade it even for the "you know who's" that is OK but......

Sarge..

Bruce Benjamin
01-31-2008, 12:30 PM
I've seen a lot of people praise the Bosch 1590/91 and I don't think I've ever seen anyone badmouth it. And Ditto Sarge's last sentence.

I bought mine, "Reconditioned" from CPO Bosch for a pretty cheap price and it came looking and performing exactly like if it was brand new. I don't have a bandsaw right now and it's been used with great success for all kinds of curved cuts.

For those who are fans of the Bosch 1587, the 1590/91 isn't just the same saw with a better blade release mechanism. The major difference, and the feature that sets it apart from the rest is the way the blade guide clamps the blade. It's far superior to any saw that uses the standard grooved wheel as a blade guide. I've done square cuts in thick stock and as long as I take my time and don't push the saw the blade stays straight and square to the saw base. It also has an internal motor balance mechanism that seems to really smooth out the saw. Power is never a problem either. I've used it to cut 3/8" steel and other than chewing up a few blades it never missed a beat.

Another thing that some people don't know about is the dust collection attachment available for this saw. I ordered it when I bought my saw. With it attached to my shop vac it does a pretty good job. It's not perfect but it does get most of the saw dust.

Bruce

Scott Kilroy
01-31-2008, 12:57 PM
I have it and love it!!!!

The barrel grip is the way to go. I can't imagine ever using the traditional type of jigsaw again.

Greg Mann
01-31-2008, 1:11 PM
I have and use the Bosch and the Festool. They are both very good and you will like the Bosch, especially considering the price differential. If you want to make it better use Festool blades which are competitively priced to any other good quality blades. They have some very unique blades in addition to the usuals.

glenn bradley
01-31-2008, 1:13 PM
I have the 1591 and love it everytime I use it. Of course I upgraded from a 30 year old Skill jumping-jack. The blade guide keeps things under control and the power allows slow speeds for delicate work. I also prefer the barrel grip. Folks that prefer to be able to adjust the VS while cutting would prefer the top grip and trigger.

Bruce Benjamin
01-31-2008, 2:22 PM
I have it and love it!!!!

The barrel grip is the way to go. I can't imagine ever using the traditional type of jigsaw again.

I agree that the barrel grip is best for some and that's what I have but I have large hands. I have heard that some people with smaller hands find the diameter of the barrel grip to be too large to be comfortable. The best thing is to try to get one of each in your hands before you buy it to see which one feels best. I find that because my hand is down lower, closer to the the work the barrel grip saw feels more stable and easier to control. Also, as Glenn has mentioned, with the barrel grip you can't conveniently adjust the variable speed as you cut. It's easier to do so with the D-handle grip, (1590).

Bruce Benjamin
01-31-2008, 2:46 PM
I have and use the Bosch and the Festool. They are both very good and you will like the Bosch, especially considering the price differential. If you want to make it better use Festool blades which are competitively priced to any other good quality blades. They have some very unique blades in addition to the usuals.

I thought the festool blades were thicker than the Bosch blades. Do they fit the Bosch chuck? What is the advantages of using the festool blades in the Bosch?

Bruce

John Thompson
01-31-2008, 4:20 PM
I have relatively small hands Bruce and the barrel is the only way I go as I tried both to see what felt better. The barrel was the choice and I'm certainly glad I chose it as it has proven to master control. But... keep in mind that all the D handles I used before the Bosch were only disquised as jig-saws. :D

Probably best to put one of each in your hand and go through the motions to get the feel as you probably should on left-right circular saw blades, etc.

Sarge..

Bruce Benjamin
01-31-2008, 4:29 PM
I have relatively small hands Bruce and the barrel is the only way I go as I tried both to see what felt better. The barrel was the choice and I'm certainly glad I chose it as it has proven to master control. But... keep in mind that all the D handles I used before the Bosch were only disquised as jig-saws. :D

Probably best to put one of each in your hand and go through the motions to get the feel as you probably should on left-right circular saw blades, etc.

Sarge..

I was just giving that info based on what I've read from some other reviewers with smaller hands. As you already know, the barrel of the Bosch isn't really all that large so I don't see how anyone but children or some women would have a problem with it. But since some have complained about it I thought I'd mention it. Trying before buying is certainly the best way to go if possible.

Bruce

Dave Verstraete
01-31-2008, 7:55 PM
I have been in need of a good jig saw for a long time. After reading this post thread, I went to CPO Bosch and just bought one.

Question : What do I want next. It never ends!

John Thompson
01-31-2008, 8:04 PM
I agree that the barrel grip is best for some and that's what I have but I have large hands. I have heard that some people with smaller hands find the diameter of the barrel grip to be too large to be comfortable. The best thing is to try to get one of each in your hands before you buy it to see which one feels best. I find that because my hand is down lower, closer to the the work the barrel grip saw feels more stable and easier to control. Also, as Glenn has mentioned, with the barrel grip you can't conveniently adjust the variable speed as you cut. It's easier to do so with the D-handle grip, (1590).

I did read your post carefully and was just adding some info to what you said so others could get a better read. It was really not directed at you but anyone that has heard that bit of info.. and I have heard it more than once. And like you, I am puzzled as to why someone would make it.

Frankly Bruce.. when in use my right hand sits just off-center right of the top of the barrrel. My palm lies on top and the entire hand doesn't surround the barrel itself. It is there to do nothing but move the saw forward as the teeth do the workl and steer if necessary. And as you know... there is not a lot of corrective steering required as the saw just seems to follow the line with no physical effort on it's part and no concious effort on your's. That's about the best I can describe the action that takes place.

Compared to all the jig saws I have had.. this thing is like one of those laser guided smart bombs compared to using the old style "bomb scope" from a WW II B-17. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Sarge..

Bryan Berguson
01-31-2008, 9:55 PM
Buy the Bosch! And one more thing, buy Bosch blades. There is no substitute.

Bryan

Bryan Berguson
01-31-2008, 9:58 PM
Question : What do I want next. It never ends!

Do you have a good dovetail jig? I recently bought a Leigh D4R and I have to say it's one of the finest tools I've purchased. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling everytime I use it. :D

Bryan

Bruce Benjamin
02-01-2008, 8:08 PM
Compared to all the jig saws I have had.. this thing is like one of those laser guided smart bombs compared to using the old style "bomb scope" from a WW II B-17. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Sarge..

Yup. They will both get the job done but one of them, (the Bosch or the smart bomb) will do it with much more precision and accuracy and much less stress. Honestly, I've used more or less crappy jigsaws all my life and I got pretty good at staying on the intended cut line. But I really had to concentrate and the final result usually required more sanding than I wanted to do. As you said, with the Bosch it just seems to want to keep going in the direction it's pointed with very little effort and hardly any wandering. I really believe that the biggest single contributing factor is the blade guide system that the Bosch uses. I suppose that there are other jigsaws available that have similar power and/or smoothness, etc. but I think there are only one or two other saws available that use the blade clamping technique that Bosch uses. Festool uses something similar and I think Hilti also uses this method of keeping the blade from deflecting. Here's a link to Hilti's jigsaw.
http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-16288

Regarding the Hilti, I think they make the best circular saw in the world when compared to any other brand and I've heard nothing but good things about the rest of their tools too. When I bought my Bosch I wasn't aware that Hilti made a jigsaw but I already had their 267E circular saw. It wasn't until right after I bought the Bosch that I found the Hilti jigsaw. I don't know if the Hilti is better than, worse than, or the same as the Bosch but since I'm such a big Hilti fan that was the closest I've come to anything resembling, "Buyers remorse" for the Bosch jigsaw. I could've returned the Bosch but I liked it so much that I decided to not even research the Hilti anymore. Here's a link to their great circular saw in case anyone out there hasn't heard of it before.
http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-16775

Bruce

George Oak
02-01-2008, 9:08 PM
I currently have a Bosch 1587 D-handle jig saw, and I like it a lot. However, I am tempted to upgrade to either the Bosch 1590 or the Festool Trion. Given the $120 difference in price, I would lean toward the Bosch, except for the dust collection. I already own the Festool vac and love not having to clean up after using my tools.

Other than the price, does the Bosch have any advantages over the Festool?

Thanks for any info.

Chris Rosenberger
02-02-2008, 1:07 AM
I currently have a Bosch 1587 D-handle jig saw, and I like it a lot. However, I am tempted to upgrade to either the Bosch 1590 or the Festool Trion. Given the $120 difference in price, I would lean toward the Bosch, except for the dust collection. I already own the Festool vac and love not having to clean up after using my tools.

Other than the price, does the Bosch have any advantages over the Festool?

Thanks for any info.

No.
I own 3 Bosch jig saws & a Festool jig saw. The Festool is lighter & runs smoother. The solid lower blade guide on the Festool is also better than the spring loaded one on the new Bosch.

Pete Janke
02-02-2008, 2:38 AM
I got the 1590 for Christmas after giving my great wife the proper clues. I then bought the Bosch blade package. No comparison to my other jig saws. An excellent tool. You can't be unhappy with this purchase.

Bruce Benjamin
02-02-2008, 3:05 AM
No.
I own 3 Bosch jig saws & a Festool jig saw. The Festool is lighter & runs smoother. The solid lower blade guide on the Festool is also better than the spring loaded one on the new Bosch.

Since the jigsaw is alway riding on the surface I'm not sure how lighter is better. If there's a difference in weight, how much? With a drill or a circular saw, (when framing for example) I can see where lighter would be better. With a jigsaw, unless there's a big difference I can't see how it would make much difference to me. Smooth is good though. Also, can you elaborate on how the festool blade guide is better than the Bosch? I'm not sure what you mean by, "...the spring loaded one on the new Bosch". Mine does not flex or spring that I can detect. I insert the blade, push the red button and it locks down on the sides of the blade. It holds the blade very securely.

Bruce