PDA

View Full Version : Sears Compucarve

Steveo O'Banion
01-31-2008, 6:37 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm considering getting one for my manufacturing lab so the kids can do engraving and light relief carving.

Steve

Ed Newbold
01-31-2008, 7:02 AM
I have one and it's OK for small projects. Not a good candidate for any work of a commercial nature though. I got mine off eBay and it has worked flawlessly so far. Woodcraft stores now carry the CarveWright machine, which is what the CompuCarve is.

Michael McCoy
01-31-2008, 7:38 AM
I use mine mostly for plaques but have recently started adding carvings to some furniture I've built. There is a ton of info on the carvewright and comucarvewright forums.

Rob Wright
01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm considering getting one for my manufacturing lab so the kids can do engraving and light relief carving.

Steve

Steve - I don't have any experience with the Carve Wright/Compucarve but I did look pretty seriously into them. The software is pretty easy to use and that is the biggest perk. I think that the machine is limited by not allowing CAD or g-code and this is a big drawback. They have reapeatedly stated that it may be coming in the future. There was a owner here that was using it for craftshows and was puching it pretty hard. I think that he had a number of breakdowns but were resolved by the mfg.

Having said that - would a ShopBot "Buddy" be more appropriate? This would allow for greater flexibility and could be integrated into multiple courses - just a thought. The new software that comes with the Shopbot is a version of Vcarve and 3D machinist. These programs were created by Vectric and can read PDF, image files, cad, and other available 3d models.

I have a home built right now and I am using this software. I am hoping to upgrade to a shopbot in the future for more size, and better speed and accuracy.

$0.02

I am sure others may be able to comment further.

- Rob

Steveo O'Banion
02-01-2008, 2:34 PM
Thanks for the tip on shop bot Rob. It looks great but is a budget buster for us now.

We're actually looking into building our own CNC machines here. Our Robotics teacher has already built a very small one that controls a dremel tool and is powered by stepper motors off of old inkjet printers. He purchased the CB as a kit from some guy here in Ohio and built the frame and table by himself.

It's very light duty, and slow but works well. Our next step is to build something bigger.

Steve

Steve knight
02-02-2008, 12:36 AM
the shopbot has a far higher learning curve. it's not something you just start up and use. it can do far more of course but there is a price to pay for that. so the sears machine may be the tool of choice in this case.

Peter Elliott
02-02-2008, 2:45 PM
I've been looking into CNC's for long time.

The Carvewright fits the need but I so leary to pull the trigger because of the many complaints about reliability.

This one has caught my attention. A little more $$ but not as much as the Shopbot Buddy's

Under $3k with some options.

http://www.romaxxcnc.com/main.html

http://www.romaxxcnc.com/images/pics/romaxx-053.jpg

AL Ursich
02-02-2008, 3:43 PM
I have 2 Compucarve Machines and find them to be very useful. I have a Navy and Sony Repair background so all the repairs have been easy for me. I post in the CarveWright.com forums under Digitalwoodshop.

I wouldn't give up the machines, they are just too valuable to me.

It has it's place as a Hobby Machine being belt driven with servos and encoders on the Y and Z Axis. The X is Gear driven with the sand paper belts holding the board with pressure rollers.

The board weight could be an issue, a heavy board could break the X drive gears.

A dust collector is a must in my opinion as the chips and belts just don't mix well.

I have over 600 hours between the 2 machines. Bought the 2nd just to cover the down times but before Christmas I had 2 machines down and orders to do. Got the parts in time and made my deadlines.

Here is some of what I did this year. Quilt and Wine racks were fun. I use a Carrier Board to hold Clock blanks just held with masking tape. You need 3.5 inches extra of board on each end so the tip of the board stays under the roller for stability. You can select to not stay under the rollers but that is where most new guys get in trouble, making the board the same size as the project and it tips up causing broken bits or bad carvings. The board needs to be held flat.

AL

AL Ursich
02-02-2008, 4:07 PM
The first common problem is the unit to just die. A coil on the power supply L2 can break due to vibration. Properly glued it will last a long time.

Picture 1 the Coil L2 showing the break and 2 is the bottom.

The second problem is the Z Encoder on the back of the Z motor. Circuit Boards have round pads with a hole for the wire or plug pin. Sometimes vibration will cause the solder pad to break free from the board and fracture the connecton to the fine copper trace on the circuit board. This is what was causing all the Z Axis problems with the bit driving into the wood and stalling. The encoder feedback quit and the computer just keeps driving the Z until the encoder tells it that it is in the correct position. With the trace broken it goes until it stalls.

Picture 3-5 are the Encoder on the back of the Z. The black marks on the disk are run through the encoder and make pulses. When the servo system system homes it resets the counters to Zero at the home position.

AL

AL Ursich
02-02-2008, 4:18 PM
Another problem is the Cut Motor magnet that tells the computer how fast the cut motor is going. It monitors speed looking for motor on feedback and bogging down. The first magnets were glued and held with heat shrink. Once the magnet gave way you got a CCM error or Check Cut Motor. Without the magnet the motor speed control went from closed loop speed control to open loop full speed mode.

I repaired my magnet with heat shrink an it lasted a whole week.... The real fix is a new round molded magnet mounted on the motor. For $5.00 they installed the new version on my motors.

AL

AL Ursich
02-02-2008, 4:32 PM
Another problem I had over 400 hours was the cable feeding the Z the power and taking back the Z data. I noted a few kinks in the flat copper cable and ordered a new one. Ended up getting a new Z Bundle that changed the 16 pin cable to a thicker 14 pin cable. It involved changing the Z motor, Cable, and circuit board that the cable plugs into.

It was not a Up Grade but a replacement, as the 16 pin cable works fine, my cable just got damaged.....

AL

AL Ursich
02-02-2008, 4:45 PM
The X Drive is done with Sand Paper Belts and pressure rollers. If you are not careful and put a tapered board in the machine you could cause damage to the machine. I did this once and broke a gear.

It is really a good design, the gear is designed to break if the system jams. It does have current sensors and I did get the over current error first but said continue as I didn't know what was wrong.... Then the gear broke. A $5.00 gear, not a bad safety.

AL

AL Ursich
02-02-2008, 5:03 PM
The bits are held in the chuck with a Quick Connect. A very quick and secure system. I only had one bit thrown from the machine and it hit the clear safety door and pushed it open enough to activate the safety switch and shut it down. Turned out to be a dirty chuck with impacted sawdust. You must keep the chuck lubricated with dry lube or oil. In my case the 3 in one oil helps the dust to stick in all the wrong places.

Because of the metal to metal contact in the QC held with 3 Ball Bearings it will eventually wear out. When it does it will move in the chuck and the ball bearings will indent in the retaining area of the bit holder.

When you first notice the ball bearing marks you are better off changing the QC chuck with a new one. I found my worn chuck indented a new bit holder in just one hour carving ruining it.

Overall it is an OUTSTANDING SYSTEM.

There are more happy users than unhappy users.

It is a hands ON system, you will need the ability to read the instruction manual and do the repairs.

80% of a persons first post will read.... "The head is cranked up all the way and just clicks when I want to go down" It's in the manual that the hole in the jacking bolt is there to lower the head if you go too high.

This proves that they never opened the manual.....

Good Luck on your choice.

AL FCC(SW) US Navy Retired

Peter Elliott
02-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Al,

Great review, info and advice.

Can you tell more on the motor (spindle), the software.

Also, do you feel Carvewright is improving there machines as they build them?

You've ease the fear a little bit but that "$2k" risk still lingers.

For me, that would be the highest I've ever paid for a tool.

Peter

Paul Kunkel
02-04-2008, 5:36 PM
I'm not Al, but I know him.... They are improving it all the time and it's getting more reliable. I got my first machine in Jan 2006 and am on my second now as well. It's paid for itself many times over. You can download a trial version of the software from their website which you can play with for 30 days.
http://www.carvewright.com/softreg/

AL Ursich
02-11-2008, 9:51 PM
As for improvements, the basic machine has remained the same for the most part. A few small changes here and there with the Z wiring and encoder.

On sale they are as low as $1500 then add a set of extra bits, Centerline Text and a probe and it's about $2 K.

I am still trying to pay for my machines but I made a few bad choices in product.... Quilt racks have a limited appeal, my BAD..... Listen to a Excited Quilter.... Only sold 2 all season and made a bunch....

The spin off Wine Rack is growing in popularity.

Will get more into signs this year.

As for your question about the spindle. At first I was not too impressed with the Cut Motor Cable drive but I was pleasantly surprised to find it very efficient and trouble free for the most part. The first Spindle Bearings were good but the machine is as noise as a hand held router. They changed the Spindle bearings I believe, I purchased a replacement spindle and now that machine sounds more like a 3/8 drill then a router.... After the other machine was back at the factory it got a new spindle too and was quiet too. It is getting to sound more like a router now. I have the lower bearing on back order to replace them myself in the future.

AL

Peter Meacham
05-31-2008, 6:00 PM
Al

What is the lever in the 2nd photo pls - looks like a QC bit release lever - I don't have one on my machine (older machine) - is that a factory inovation or something that you did?

Thanks

Pete

Paul Kunkel
05-31-2008, 6:22 PM
Al

What is the lever in the 2nd photo pls - looks like a QC bit release lever - I don't have one on my machine (older machine) - is that a factory inovation or something that you did?

Thanks

Pete
That's a wrench to adjust the bearing. Explained in text.

Michael Stevenson
06-18-2008, 9:05 PM
I've been looking into CNC's for long time.

The Carvewright fits the need but I so leary to pull the trigger because of the many complaints about reliability.

This one has caught my attention. A little more $$ but not as much as the Shopbot Buddy's

Under $3k with some options.

http://www.romaxxcnc.com/main.html

I like this machine a lot. Much more heavy duty and better than the CarveWright machine. :D

Paul Kunkel
06-18-2008, 9:54 PM
I like this machine a lot. Much more heavy duty and better than the CarveWright machine. :D
To each his own. :) Some people just don't know what they're missing because of ignorance and believing everything they read on the internet. My CW has been earning me $$$ since day one(Feb 2006) with only a few easily fixed problems. :p

Keith Outten
06-19-2008, 9:35 AM
I think there is a machine that meets most peoples needs these days at every skill level and price point. The key is to find the machine that meets your needs and budget.

Many people who purchase machines too large or small for the job blame the manufacturer for their own mistake.

Paul, it sounds to me like you have found a machine you like and that fulfills your needs, so have I so I know how you feel :)

AL Ursich
06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Al

Thanks

Pete

Like Paul said the wrench is to adjust the bearing. They are eccentric drilled and at max tightness it closed the gap on the spindle holding it to the hardened rails. I just wanted people to see where the wrench went.

Finally used my thickness sander I bought from this forum. Made short work of a pile of painted clocks.

With 3 machines I should be good for production. I use it within it's limits and I am very happy. I have gone almost 200 hours on my 700 hour machine without a problem.... It does have it's Good Times if you keep it clean. I changed the paper canister dust collector filter as it sprung a leak and was easier to change it at the time with the extra one I picked up for a 2nd collector. I could not believe the wind storm in the CarveWright after changing it... My 1 year old filter needed a good cleaning.... 2 HP 2 hoses...

A clean machine is a happy machine....

AL

Ed Harrall
06-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Steve,
I am a teacher. We have the shopbot and it is very student friendly. I know of some teacher in this area with the compucrave and have had bad luck with student use. Our insurance would not let us use a home built system for student use. Check out the shopbot "buddy" You would not need the alpha for school use. They are coming out with a power stick for longer material. If I can answer any more question let me know. I disagree with Steve on the learning curve for shopbot. I do not think that it is that long but my student have all ready have worked with CAD programs.

Ed

travis howe
11-20-2008, 7:27 PM
I've been watching this tool evolve for a while now. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any significant improvements on the stability of this tool? Are there less problems now that when origionally released?

I heard there were some new versions coming out that had some improvements in the design/parts?

I'm a technical person but I really don't want to spend money on something I need to ship back in a week because it's broke.

Thanks!