PDA

View Full Version : How do you like this one?

Ray Mighells
01-31-2008, 1:41 AM
Here's one of the Tattoo designs I did this evening. The piece is done on Ivory acrylic I got from Delvies, first painted with flat black that bonds to acrylic, then engraved at 70 speed, 75 power on my 35W Epilog. I didn't trim it because I might want to add to it. It's 12 X 24". I would appreciate any feedback on your appraisal of the results and my choice of material. I added more pics to my Picture Trail albums if you care to look.

Keith Outten
01-31-2008, 5:05 AM
Ray,

It looks fabulous and your idea of using an ivory color is smart. Can you share the manufacturer and type of paint that you used?

According to my Acrylite swatch there is an ivory color in either GP 047-2 or FF 047-2.
I believe that it could also work well with Bone colored Corian.

Mike Null
01-31-2008, 6:32 AM
Ray

Outstanding! I can see recognition award possibilities for that.

Frank Corker
01-31-2008, 6:44 AM
Ray, lovely job. I must admit I do like the tattoo designs, they are very clear and I love good artwork. The black and Ivory effect is a very nice touch.

Jim Dornon
01-31-2008, 8:19 AM
That is very cool . What type of paint did you use ? I've used Krylon and rustolium, both with mixed results. If you dry to fast it will wrinkle.
Jim

Mitchell Andrus
01-31-2008, 9:11 AM
In reverse, Ivory paint on black substrate, you'd have scrimshaw.

My dad used to make commemorative awards on plaster board which was made for the purpose. Black (or other color) on top, white core. The image would be scratched into the surface to allow the sub to show through. He was (still would be if he's get off his butt) incredibly skilled at colligraphy.

Keith, how about 1/8" black corian, painted ivory then engraved like an award. New market...? I'd imagine the outside could be in most any shape (Shopbot) and the keyhole hanger pre-cut. The plaque could come with a starter template in Draw to make registration easier on the unwashed masses.

Keith Outten
01-31-2008, 8:37 PM
Mitchell,

Another excellent idea using a black substrate and an ivory top coat for the scrimshaw look. The technique may also be an excellent choice for signs as well in the right setting. I have been making a lot of "Maximum Occupancy Signs" lately, small signs required by the fire marshall that designate how many people can be in a particular area. This kind of design might be killer in some areas rather than the two color plastic sheet I have been using, most are gold over black.

Black Corian is a bit hard to come by, it's a special order in my area but it is available. Black acrylic may be a less expensive alternative but it surely won't be as impressive as Corian. I'm still thinking about this one :)

I think several of us are still waiting for Ray to share the kind of paint he is using, I expect it may be Rustoleum Fusion Paint.

Bill Cunningham
01-31-2008, 9:31 PM
Or black Krylon Fusion.. The Ivory certainly adds a nice warmth to the picture.. Very nice work Ray...

Ray Mighells
01-31-2008, 9:49 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. I like the Ivory acrylic a lot. It back-lights nicely and is easy to colorfill. I bought 25 pieces of 12x24 because it's only a buck a foot. It makes a strong puzzle material too. As to the paint I've been using, I've been using several types 2 of which are Rust-Oleum products (Rust Reformer and Fast Dry All-Purpose Int/Ext) the other is Quick Color. They all contain Toluene, Acetone and Xylene, all hot solvents that help it to bite info the acrylic. I try to use the least I can get away with while shooting for full coverage and uniformity. I also use shading lacquer on acrylic. It comes in a lot of colors. Star brand is my favorite but I also use Mohawk brand. My next experiment is going to be black on clear with a cream/ivory/bone on the back. I see many possibilities for this mix n match, might even come up with something marketable.

Heather Sjoquist
01-31-2008, 10:38 PM
That is just beautiful. My Poppa's house is full of Native American things and he would adore the work you've done.

Brian Robison
02-01-2008, 8:19 AM
Nice Ray,
Now, where are you getting acrylic that cheap?:)

Ray Mighells
02-01-2008, 1:24 PM
Delvies' Plastics. Click into the Engravers Suppliers for a link to their web-site. You'll probably have to call in your order. Ask about the buck a foot special on the ivory 1/8". They are in Utah and ship UPS

David Harvey
02-01-2008, 6:43 PM
Simply excellent! Thanks for sharing!