PDA

View Full Version : Got a new plane in the pipe

Ron Brese
01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
I just thought I would give you guys a sneak peek at the plane that I have in the pipe right now. I should finish it tomorrow if I get the irons back from the heat treaters. This plane has a very similar body style as the ones preceding this one, some changes but very subtle, however there is a large departure on the rear tote and front bun design. Most will probably see the Norris A-13 influence. I'll post completed pics as soon as I get her together.

Ron

Pam Niedermayer
01-30-2008, 11:47 PM
The rear tote looks aerodynamic but the front bun looks chunky. Perhaps the bun should be swept back, too? Other than that, real pretty.

Pam

Mark Rios
01-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Isn't putting a plane in a pipe bad for the iron or something?

;):D

Stephen Pereira
01-31-2008, 6:33 AM
Nice work!!

From your pictures it looks like the sole and sides of the plane are made from one piece of brass.. is that a casting?

Ron Brese
01-31-2008, 7:05 AM
Mark, It's alright as long as the pipe is big enough(grin), Pam, even though a swept back front bun might have some visual interest it certainly would not help with shaving evacuation and I was trying to go with a more traditional look on this plane. Stephen, this is not a casting it is made with side plates attached to the sole with integrated rivets.

Ron

Jim Becker
01-31-2008, 8:49 AM
That's certainly a hefty looking piece of woodworking tool! Very nice! A work of art, even before it touches a board!

Greg Cole
01-31-2008, 9:21 AM
Looksvery good, but functionality is usually more valuable IMO. If it was any nicer looking.. I'd wince when I got greasy finger prints on it... never mind use it.
Very impressive indeed.

Greg

Terry Bigelow
01-31-2008, 9:27 AM
Hey Ron, looks great. Seems a bit more refined than the last one. I see the Norris influence alright, and I like it! What's the dimensions? By the way I like the bun as-is. I think it works with the tote. BTW How's biz? You selling much? Just wondering. Keep up the good work, seems like you're getting better.

Derek Cohen
01-31-2008, 9:32 AM
Hi Ron

That is just stunning! I like the horn of the tote - very graceful. Just lovely altogether. What is the angle of the bed?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dave Anderson NH
01-31-2008, 9:57 AM
Very nicely done Ron. I like the fact that the front angle on the tote is a continuation of the "frog" bed angle.

Ron Brese
01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
Greg, I agree that it has to function and quite frankly if it doesn't perform up to it's look, what would be the point. I was quite anal about holding tight tolerances on every part of this plane and I plane to tune it quite thoroughly so that function equals form.

Terry, the sole length is 8" and this one will be using a 2" wide iron, actually the weight to iron width ratio on this plane should make it quite easy to use. As far as business, I made a concerted decision to put plane making on the back burner so to speak for a while so as to finish my house and to clear out some furniture commissions that were getting old in my shop, however now the house is finished, the furniture work is caught up to a manageable state and I am full steam ahead on plane making and plane design development.

Derek, the bed angle is 50 degrees, but you better believe I'm dying so see how a 55 degree plane in this configuration would function and it is in the plan very soon.

Dave, the upper portion of the tote is angled away from the back of the iron just so slightly so that I would only have to worry about bedding it properly on the section inside the plane body, but not so much so one would really notice.

I will get pics of the finished plane as soon as I complete the work this evening and then off to the MWTCA show in Madison, Ga. tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone,

Ron

Doug Shepard
01-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Drool. One of these days if I save my pennies...:)
My only thought is on the opening in the tote. Seems like it might be more ergonomical if the back edge on the hole was rounded over rather than the straight 90°