PDA

View Full Version : Shimming a dovetail?

Jason Scott
01-30-2008, 5:53 PM
Hey all,

So on my 2nd corner of the coffee table dovetail aprons, I got a little over zealous with the saw and created a little bit of a gap in the dovetails. I could just use the ca/dust method, but was wondering about shimming? Anybody know where there is a "how to" on this? I looked around but couldn't find anything, thanks,

Jason

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 8:07 PM
Shimming is the preferred way to fix this because the end result will be invisible. Your shim goes in at a 45º angle with the end grain also at the 45. This way, the insert matches the grain on both sides of the dovetail. You may need to open up/clean out the side of the dovetail you are fixing with your dovetail saw, but once you insert the wood with a little glue and then flush everything up, you'll be hard pressed to see the "fix". Fortunately for me...I learned this trick right away when I learned to cut them by hand. I believe, but cannot confirm, that Alan Turner clued me into it. :)

Jason Scott
01-30-2008, 8:31 PM
Jim, thanks for the info, I already practiced and cut a few and sanded them just to see, and you are right, it will be all but invisible b/c of the matching grains like you said.