PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood veneer ply pricing?

Jason Scott
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,

did some calling around and found a place locally that has B-2 4X8 MDF core 3/4" Walnut (both sides) for 66.36 a piece, is this a good grade/price for furniture making? Thanks for any help.

Jason

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 2:32 PM
The B-2 is not the top grade, but if you like the veneer, that's an attractive price. I say that because I just paid "a lot" for sheet goods this past Saturday. 5'x5' 18mm (3/4") BB plywood has gone from about $60 list to $91 list in less than 6 months. A1 1/2" cherry VC ply was at $120 list. Even with the small discount I got due to my relationship with the supplier, ching...ching...

Joe Chritz
01-31-2008, 2:02 AM
The price seems about right depending on your area. I just bought 11 sheets of B2 maple for $50 a sheet. I would expect walnut to be a bit more.

I have found B2 to be a good grade for most carcass construction. It does well even for finished sides if you pick which ones to leave exposed.

Also the price changes depending on if the material is rotary cut or plain sliced, etc.

Joe

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2008, 8:39 AM
Jim, I was surprised to see the price on Baltic Birch Plywood so high in the US. I normally assume that materials are less expensive than in Canada.

If you are interested in a comparison, I purchase my material at Century Mill, just north of Toronto. You can look at their hardwood plywood section at
www.centurymill.com (http://www.centurymill.com)

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
01-31-2008, 9:12 AM
I agree, Rod. It's frustrating. I really like building with BB when I must use sheet goods (cabinetry, et al), but I'm having to rethink that going forward. The BB has been consistent in quality. My supplier does have 3/4 poplar multi-core at lower cost. I think I'm going to buy a sheet when I pick up another sheet of 1/2" cherry today since I'll have the trailer hooked up and all that, just to see if it has the quality I can deal with without too much grumbling... The supplier is also looking into ApplePly to see if he can have a BB alternative at a more reasonable price...everyone is unhappy with this right now.