PDA

View Full Version : Veneering ???'s

Scott Coffelt
01-30-2008, 10:32 AM
So I am toying with investing in veneering supplies. I have a buffet that I want to build out of wenge. At first I thought about trying to stain match some oak, but the more I am thinking about it I don't like that idea. I'll still need to refinish some oak chairs I have to match the wenge table I built. The buffet I believe should be wenge. Well in KC area this stuff is like gold, so I am not sure I want to spend that kind of jack on solid, though I may still. Another idea I have is to use solid wenge on the edges of a substrate and then sheet veneer the faces. The largest piece will be 19" by 60". I am not sure how frequently I will use the solution after the first use, though I can think of some ideas already. For you folks who do occasional and more frequent veneering, what is the recommendation? Budget, well that's always an issue. I don't mind spending but I also am not sure I can justify a $600-$1200 machine on top of the bags, etc. I have found a site that shows you how to make one, which is a viable option. I have a 25gal compressor, a 5 gal compressor and a 1 gal compressor as I know that is one design option. I also have seen ones that do not require a compressor.

Help me understand the virtues of my options and what i should do. I see Woodcraft has a small little puppy that looks like it would support a bag large enough for my needs, but is it really the right thing or should I build something bigger?

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Scott, you can get into vacuum veneering at reasonable expense via the techniques that JoeWoodworker.com provides. And as a recent "inductee" into the vacuum veneer world, I have to say it's opened up a whole lot of interesting opportunities that I have not had, especially since I'm so anal about grain/color matching as well as having developed a love of QS material. (expensive and a lot of waste to do entirely with solid stock)

Chris Padilla
01-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Veneering can definately open up some doors into the pricier exotics that I'm sure you will find quite interesting. It also opens doors into domestic pricey stuff like birdseye/curly/tiger maple, walnut crotch, and any other "crazily figured" woods (flame birch). It will also extend any interesting boards you happen upon.

Tune up your BS and practice on some poplar cutting thin pieces. Do you have a drum sander or access to one? 60-inch veneers might be tough to joint on a 6" jointer but you're a resourceful guy, I'm sure you can figure out a way. A nice jointer plane can go a long way.... :)

If you see the need to go beyond flatwork, veneering curved stuff with vacuum bags is the way to go. If you start with flatwork, you might be able to skip the vacuum bags and just make yourself some cheap(er) torsion-box cauls out of MDF.

Zahid Naqvi
01-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I have been able to veneer flat pieces of substrate without any vacuum bags, by just using clamps and cauls. The biggest piece I have done so far is a back pannel for a head board 22"X49". So far haven't tried anything other than flat. Vacuum bags will make your options only limited by your imagination. But if you are only trying to test the waters for your buffet project, you can get everything done without a vacuum press setup.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2008, 2:01 PM
Scott, you can get into vacuum veneering at reasonable expense via the techniques that JoeWoodworker.com provides. And as a recent "inductee" into the vacuum veneer world, I have to say it's opened up a whole lot of interesting opportunities that I have not had, especially since I'm so anal about grain/color matching as well as having developed a love of QS material. (expensive and a lot of waste to do entirely with solid stock)

Joe sells and recommends good stuff. I built one of his presses, and am thrilled with it. I use it for form bending, veneering, and sometimes, for vacuuming out an A/C system on a tractor. I think the system I built is better then most of the prefabs, and WAY cheaper. There are photo's of my actual machine on his site.

Larry Fox
01-30-2008, 2:54 PM
Another vote for Joe - great information, very easy build and outstanding customer service. As others have pointed out, being able to do veneer really opens things up to you and it is really quite fun to do.

Jim W. White
01-30-2008, 4:08 PM
The system from JWW's rocks. I just finished putting mine together recently and am very happy with it.

Jim in Idaho

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74409

Steve Roxberg
01-30-2008, 5:12 PM
Scott,

I would recommend borrowing a vacuum pump from someone you know in Kansas City and spending your funds on a big bag. The owner of the pump would probably be willing to do this based on the future use of your big bag.

Hmmm, who would that owner be....... Oh wait, I live in KC and I have a Gast pump all setup and ready. :D

Chris Padilla
01-30-2008, 5:17 PM
Sounds like a match made in heaven.... ;)

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 8:10 PM
Oooh....ooooh....ooooh!!! Now there's an offer you can't refuse! (And buy the "good" bags, LOL, since you'll be wanting them to last a long time and will likely have two people using them! :) )

Scott Coffelt
01-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Veneering can definately open up some doors into the pricier exotics that I'm sure you will find quite interesting. It also opens doors into domestic pricey stuff like birdseye/curly/tiger maple, walnut crotch, and any other "crazily figured" woods (flame birch). It will also extend any interesting boards you happen upon.

Tune up your BS and practice on some poplar cutting thin pieces. Do you have a drum sander or access to one? 60-inch veneers might be tough to joint on a 6" jointer but you're a resourceful guy, I'm sure you can figure out a way. A nice jointer plane can go a long way.... :)

If you see the need to go beyond flatwork, veneering curved stuff with vacuum bags is the way to go. If you start with flatwork, you might be able to skip the vacuum bags and just make yourself some cheap(er) torsion-box cauls out of MDF.

Hey Chris,

Go the 17" bandsaw and have been doing some resawing on it. Now have an 8" jointer so I am good there.Yes, have a 16x32 drum.

Scott Coffelt
01-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Scott,

I would recommend borrowing a vacuum pump from someone you know in Kansas City and spending your funds on a big bag. The owner of the pump would probably be willing to do this based on the future use of your big bag.

Hmmm, who would that owner be....... Oh wait, I live in KC and I have a Gast pump all setup and ready. :D

That sounds like a great idea. I'll have to chat with you this weekend at the WWing show.

Scott Coffelt
01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
The system from JWW's rocks. I just finished putting mine together recently and am very happy with it.

Jim in Idaho

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74409

Nice, I missed this post. I'll really have to look over your design. I like it.

Jesse Cloud
01-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a great match. I was going to suggest something like that till I saw Steve's kind offer.

Two cautions though:

1. Plan for enough veneer to cover both sides. It is wood, and your piece will cup big if you don't veneer both sides.

2. Wenge is a hard veneer to work with, splinters if you breathe on it too hard. Be very gentle. If you try to slice your own, expect some significant waste.

2.a. If you use commercial veneer, its going to be very thin, don't think that you will be able to sand off any problems.

Hope to see some progress reports!

Travis Gauger
01-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I agree with all who posted. I built a JWW unit about a year ago and can't imagine vennering without it now. wenge is extremely hard to work with in veneer form though. I'd buy it pre sliced and then treat it like fine china.