PDA

View Full Version : Did you buy a matching washer/dryer? Why?

Art Mulder
01-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, our 10yr old AEG (European) washer has bit the dust.
Our even older dryer is not that great either, so we'd been thinking that when the washer went, we'd replace both.

So we've been quickly checking out washers and dryers. We've pretty much settled on a nice front loading LG washer (WM2477 but I hear they run different model numbers in the US)

But the question of the dryer remains:
Aesthetics aside, is there really any reason to buy a matching dryer from a set?

We're struggling a bit. Sure, it'd be nice for the pair to match, but a basic maytag electric dryer of similar capacity can be had for half the price of the "matching" LG dryer. The Appliance salesman in Home Depot tells us that there is no real difference.

I came into this wanting a matching dryer. But my wife very wisely points out that these things sit in the mud room. They're not fashion accessories. Does it really matter if the washer looks different? And I have to say, no, it really doesn't matter if they look different. At least, not to the tune of $4-$500!!! But if they function different, that is another matter.

Heck, with a good washer, with a high speed spin, the dryer should really need to even do that much!

Would you put this 80402 beside this? 80403

Bob Rufener
01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I see no point in feeling you have to have a matching dryer and washer. We started out with a matching set and after one machine died, just boiught the best we could afford. Right now we have a Fisher/Paykel washer that does a really great job of cleaning and spin drying clothes, and a Maytag dryer. Both are white in color. Most of the time, these units are in a laundry room area or in a basement so who cares if they match or not.

Ken Fitzgerald
Art,

I would suggest that the dryer load capacity match or exceed the load capacity of the washer. For a while.....and we had the money....I don't remember why...we had a small stacking dryer left from when we were living in a trailer/mobile home. We bought a house and we kept the dryer and replaced the washer when the washer finally gave up the ghost. The dryer had 1/2 the capacity of the washer.....wash 1 load.....dry two loads.....things got a little backed up.....:o I finally realized what was going on and bought a full sized dryer. Things went better then.

Rob Russell
It's a lot easier when the machines are the same height - think of putting laundry buckets on top of the machines.

David G Baker
01-30-2008, 10:23 AM
The only thing I would consider is the size of the capacity of each appliance. If the dryer will hold everything that washer will hold then why change unless it is a fashion statement.
One other thing would be the energy consumption of the appliances. New dryers may consume less power.

Art Mulder
01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
It's a lot easier when the machines are the same height - think of putting laundry buckets on top of the machines.

Good point, but not a factor here. In our mudroom the two units are separated by a sink.

(dig dig dig) Here! Here's an older photo from when I completed the boot storage under the sink. Have to cut that shorter now, darn it, since the new washer will be 3"-4" wider than the European unit we have now.

I would suggest that the dryer load capacity match or exceed the load capacity of the washer.

Yup, that is one reason to replace our current old dryer. It doesn't do the greatest job, and for the new washer we're getting as big a capacity as we can (3.8 cuft IIRC) so we need a sizeable dryer as well. At least for the winter season - summer time we use the clothesline.

Chris Padilla
01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Interesting dilema, Art. Other than matching them in terms of load (Ken) and perhaps height (Rob) and perhaps aesthetics (usually important for women! :D), the only other thing I can think of is the "deal" you might make buying two items in one shot. Also, for warranty items, one guy can service both units.

We have Maytag Neptune front-load washer and matching natural gas dryer. Bought them in 1999 and so far they've all been just fine. However, we just bought our first home and had zero washer and dryer so we had to buy both at the same time. Made the decision easier! ;)

Art Mulder
01-30-2008, 10:32 AM
the only other thing I can think of is the "deal" you might make buying two items in one shot. Also, for warranty items, one guy can service both units.

10% discount at Home Depot for buying a pair. Still not enough to cover the almost $500 difference in price.

The warranty is an odd comment, don't you think? I don't really expect both machines to ever break at the same time, so what's the big deal on servicing? I can see your point that if I had a good local service company that I liked, then I should buy machines that they service. But I don't. It'll be whatever the manufacturer uses.

Matt Meiser
01-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Personally I would buy a matched set for looks and convenience. If you ever decide to sell the house and include the appliances the buyer will probably notice the mismatched set. Also, I'd want the newer style washer so that as Rob mentioned the tops would be at the same height. Plus you have the option of putting the drawer units under them, putting them under a counter, or stacking them.

Also, I wouldn't buy a new Maytag appliance. My parent's Maytag washer died (bad transmission) just before Christmas after about 10 years. According to the repair guys at our local appliance place they have seen a significant increase in service calls on Maytag made the past couple years (post-Whirlpool aquisition). This is a place I trust to be honest. Also, the Maytag "Performa" line was even lower quality even going back several years. We got an almost new Performa dryer with our first house in 2000 and it was dead beyond repair after only 3 years (needed a new timer assembly and a new motor because the non-replaceable, non-lubricated bearings failed.) The repairman said that the Performa line was basically a throw-away line not made to the typical pre-Whirlpool Maytag standards.

I'd do some shopping around--Home Depot and Lowes are not the least expensive places to buy appliances. Our local store typically beats them, plus has free delivery and haul away--something that adds at least $50 (that's what, $25 CDN today? :D) to the BORGs price.

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Yup...just orderd the LG SteamWasher and LG SteamDryer with the platforms from the orange borg two weekends ago. 10% off plus a $250 gift card plus a $55 rebate to cover the installation cost. (And many AMEX points...LOL!) Oh, they are cherry red... :D (And HD or Best Buy are the only outlets for them based on info from LG.)

I'm an anal person. I like things to match. It's just a personal preference. That said, there is never any harm in choosing a different manufacturer and/or style if that is what gets you the features and value you desire.

Joe Pelonio
01-30-2008, 10:59 AM
This brings back memories. Our first rental house after getting married had no washer or drier, and we bought used. The washer was avocado green, the dryer yellow! Different makes, too. Worked fine.

Now things are a little different, ours do match and were bought together. Our washer was dying, but the dryer fine. Yes, it was an aesthetic decision that cost us a lot more money. I personally wouldn't care, we normally don't invite people into the laundry room, but hey, she does the laundry and I appreciate it.

Tom Veatch
01-30-2008, 12:04 PM
What does SHE want? All other considerations pale in comparison unless the workshop is fully outfitted with sleeping and toiletry conveniences.;)

But on a serious/practical note, if 1 washer load = 1 dryer load the functionality of the appliances are covered.

Greg Peterson
01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
We inherited an old dryer from my wife's sister's family. It was old and tired when we got it, but with a little TLC and a couple of inexpensive parts I was able to keep it performing admirably for a number of years.

Meanwhile, we replaced the non-matching top loader with a non-matching Kenmore front loader.

This spring, after re-plumbing the house and installing a tankless water heater, I wanted to free up even more space in the laundry area and dump the electric dryer. The Kenmore washer allowed stacking so to make sure I could stack the dryer we went with a Kenmore gas dryer.

As I tell friends and family members, I've become very domesticated over the years. Back in my younger days, when I talked about a stack, it was a stack of Marshalls. Now I show off my stack of laundry appliances. :D And yes, I use coasters too. Usually.

glenn bradley
01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I would only concern myself with the appearance if they were on display for all to see. Unless you have physical concerns about front loading v.s. top loading, stooping and bending, reaching, etc. I see no issue. I just want them to work well and consistently. Mine sit in an alcove in my shop so one could be white and the other blue for all I care.

Charles Wiggins
01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Nope. We bought scratch and dents from Sears. Saved about $500 compared to "new." I just made sure that they were both quality machines and both large capacity.

Heads-up. The extended warranty was a BIG waste of $$$. We haven't had any problems, and it would have been cheaper to pay out of pocket to have a service man out to do cleaning and maintenance in the third year that to pay the extended warranty fee, which included our "free" maintenance checkups every year (We never remembered to schedule these until the contract was about to run out in the third year, so two were wasted anyway. When the service guy did show up, he did almost nothing except open it up, vacuum the dust out, and make sure everything was tensioned correctly).

Chris Padilla
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Also, I wouldn't buy a new Maytag appliance.

When the time arrives to replace the w/d, we WILL NOT be purchasing Maytag. When we bought the w/d we also purchased a Maytag refrigerator...just sold that PITA and replaced it with an Amana (made in Ames, Iowa!).

No more Maytag in my house, that is for sure!

Michael Gibbons
01-30-2008, 12:42 PM
My wife and I moved into our new home 8 years ago. We had left all the appliances in the condo where we were living so we went out to buy all new for the new home. We went with GE for everthing except the dishwasher which the salesman suggested. 6 years go byand we have had to replace the microwave. Then shortly after,the bottom of the washing machine rots out so we replace that with a Fisher/Paykel. Petty nice unit. Very large capcity. We have a well so we are not to concerned with water prices. Then the dryer bits the dust. We go out and get the matching machine. Price usuallyisn't an issue. We just want our stuff to last more than 6 years. The racks in the Whirlpool dishwasher are startin to rust off. Not good. Could be the wellwater combined with softener salts-who knows.

Peter Stahl
01-30-2008, 1:03 PM
When we bought a washer we need a dryer so we got both the same brand. I asked the wife about getting a front load washer and she said we had to have the matching dryer too. Me I don't care as long as it gets the job done.

Matt Meiser
01-30-2008, 1:23 PM
Amana was part of Maytag, who got bought by Whirlpool. I'd be suprised if that label has fared much better under Whirlpool's cost cutting moves.

Lee Koepke
01-30-2008, 1:43 PM
we did. wife had a connection with GE and we got a new set of front loaders, and they are the stackable kind. it frees up a bit of space in her laundry room.

David G Baker
01-30-2008, 2:03 PM
Growing up we had a Maytag washer and a clothes line. Seven kids and two adults really took a toll on the Maytag. It was the cheapest model they made at the time. When the last child left home my parents purchased a new Maytag washer and dryer. That old Maytag made it at least 15 years with a few minor repairs.
I have a Maytag washer and dryer set that is around 6 years old and it has worked fine for me and the LOML but it makes a few noises and I don't feel that it is near the quality of the older models.
I was going to buy the high end Maytag refrigerator from the orange Borg until I did an Epinion search on it. I have read nothing but horror stories on the "NEW" Maytag line of appliances.

Nancy Laird
01-30-2008, 2:32 PM
I understand that the Maytag repairman isn't the lonliest man in America any more!

If I were buying new, I'd probably buy matching, but since mine sit in a constantly-closed laundry room, which I don't invite people into (!), mine are not the same. But they are both Kenmore (Sears), and they are both good machines. Have had the washer for about 8 years, dryer about 6.

Nancy

Benjamin Dahl
01-30-2008, 3:13 PM
Art, I would not be so concerned about matching since they are in the mud room. I think the main thing is what has already been said about matching the capacity. Also, think of the tools you could buy with the $500 in savings.
Ben

Scott Shepherd
01-30-2008, 4:27 PM
It's easily solved for $5. You can get a can of Appliance Epoxy and they'll match nicely. I've painted more than one thing over the years for my house, houses for sale, and rental houses.

Stuff dries hard as a rock and looks like it came out of the factory :)

Art Mulder
01-30-2008, 5:09 PM
It's easily solved for $5. You can get a can of Appliance Epoxy and they'll match nicely.

Glad my kids don't read SMC. We just got done telling them that we are NOT painting the new appliances. I was under the impression that a baked-on factory finish was always better, more durable, less prone to scratches showing through, than a later added finish.

Yup...just orderd the LG SteamWasher and LG SteamDryer with the platforms from the orange borg two weekends ago. 10% off plus a $250 gift card plus a $55 rebate to cover the installation cost. (And many AMEX points...LOL!) Oh, they are cherry red...

Jim! A $250 gift card also!? That deserves a hearty, (and envious) You Suck! ;) (in red, of course)

My kids were also campaigning for the Candy Apple Red LG pair that was sitting there in HD. My wife and I throw up our hands and wonder when will they really understand economics and "no it is not 'just' $1000 more"! Sheesh.

We just got home from HD again, and we went for a mismatched pair. Well, sort of. They are both LG units, but we bought a slightly higher end LG washer (WM2477) and paired it with a cheaper LG dryer. The salesman still gave us the 10% discount -- In his words "it doesn't say that they have to be a matched pair, just as long as you get two of them."

We did struggle for a while about getting just a regular whirlpool unit, but in the end for some of the reasons cited here and for other reasons, that we just wanted to get an LG. (For one thing, most of the cheap dryers had pretty flimsy doors, and with four kids doing chores, I know they're going to get banged around a bit.)

Thanks everyone for the advice. SMC is pretty amazing, how much advice I was able to get in just about 12 hrs.

...art

Mike Henderson
01-30-2008, 5:36 PM
I don't see any reason to buy a new appliance just to "match" another - as long as the two have the same capacities. That extra $500 could be used somewhere else, or it could be saved.

But if you do go with two matching units, look for ones that have front controls. That way, you can use the tops as a work space. And since you're a woodworker, if you want to, make a counter that just fits over the units (attach it to the walls) as a work space. That way things won't fall behind the units.

One "issue" with the front loading washers is that once you start them, you can't just open them up to add an item that you forgot (like you can with the top loaders).

Mike

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 7:45 PM
Art, although I "knew" we would end up with the LG units, reading the ratings at Consumer Reports sealed the deal. Pretty much top rated...as one would hope for what they cost with the steam options. But we feel that will come in handy for a number of clothing items we have to deal with, including several really beautiful outfits from India that the girls love to wear. The washer also had the largest capacity going for a front-loader at 4.0 cu ft. I personally am not prone to doing tiny loads... ;)

Chris Padilla
01-30-2008, 7:49 PM
Amana was part of Maytag, who got bought by Whirlpool. I'd be suprised if that label has fared much better under Whirlpool's cost cutting moves.

Well, if you believe Consumer's Reports, they have fared very well and that is why we went ahead with the purchase. I'll let you know in 5 years because that was when the Maytag started acting up.

Jim Mattheiss
01-30-2008, 7:55 PM
Matching only buys you something if they last.
We moved a used washer and dryer from house 1 to house 2.

When the washer died we bought a new Maytag Neptune.
We entertained the idea of buying the Neptune matching dryer.
We passed. Good idea.

That washer was part of the Maytag Class Action Lawsuit.
If broke so often that after less than 5 years we put it at the curb and bought a Kenmore.

If we had bought the Neptune Dryer it would be mismatched 5 years later.

The funny thing is that the dryer is the Energizer Bunny of appliances.
We've gone thru a bunch of appliances but the 20 year old dryer is still plugging along.

Good luck

Jim

James Jaragosky
01-30-2008, 8:03 PM
we bought a match set 4 years ago, still running fine. but the reason we went matched, was the machines we got are timed to finish together. in the past our other washers always finished much quicker than our dryers( we have had a few over the years ) it is nice to make one trip to do a load change.
I would like to add one thing, if you get front loaders get the pedestals for them. there is always one sock that sticks wayyyy in the back and I hate getting on my knees to get it:)

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 8:20 PM
Amen on the pedestals, James. They were on my list from the beginning, even though they slightly complicate the overflow pan. (2nd floor laundry) Nothing a few hockey pucks will not take care of...just have to raise the dryer an equal amount. I'm looking forward to not having to bend over much at all while dealing with the laundry as I do now with the old stuff still in the basement. That partial bending over is probably the hardest thing for one's back going, IMHO.

Art Mulder
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Amen on the pedestals, James. ... That partial bending over is probably the hardest thing for one's back going, IMHO.

Well we passed on the pedestal. To me, that $180 (each!) was a bit much.

We've had a front loader for 9 years. it sits in the mudroom. We have a chair that is positioned right in front of it so we can sit down to put on our boots. So when loading the washer we just drop the basket, sit down in the chair, and load the machine. That is hardly any bending.

Besides, starting the wash is one of the kids' chores. C'mon Jim, get those girls to do the bending for you!!!;)

Karl Laustrup
01-31-2008, 8:08 AM
I'm a little late to the party, but what else is new. :o

I think there are a couple of things that would determine the answer to your "should we buy matching washer/dryer".

In the lower priced units I'd say no, you should get only what you want, being careful to avoid a situation like Ken describes, where the capacities are different.

In the upper end units, such as the ones Jim describes, these units are designed to work together. The dryer designed to dry a load in the same amount of time that the washer takes to clean a load. With these units I would only buy them as units.

I've had the Sears He3t units since they first came out. Had a few problems, each of which has been taken care of under the maintenence/extended warranty we purchased. I would purchase these units again.

Karl

Michael Gibbons
01-31-2008, 8:59 AM
Does anyone here wonder about the old saying " THEY SURE DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO". I suppose there two trains of thoughts. My grandmother had the same washer for about 25 years. The only problem she had was a lever was loose and she had shoved a rag in the slot to keep it from sliding over. The old refrigerator was always frosty cold. A company had seperate parts for their machines that didn't fit other companies stuff. Now, one big money grubbing co. owns all of them. When my washer tub rotted out, the repair guy said it's cheaper to go buy a new washer than to fix it. I thought individual parts were cheaper? Go figure. Off to the scrapyard. Remember when the hood of a Packard weighed more than your current vehicle? Now the wind will dent your door.

Greg Narozniak
01-31-2008, 9:38 AM
We passed on the Pedestals as well when we bought our new units when we moved almost 2 years ago (Old house was Electric and new house was Gas)

We went for the Whirlpool Duet Front loader washer and a standard Whirlpool Gold dryer. The dryer has more capacity than the front loader dryer and was 1/2 the price. While they do not match, they are in the laundry room in the basement. Our Home theater and Pool table are just steps away but once you close the doors you can't tell they don't match. :)

If we had a LR that was a high traffic area then I would go the Full Monty and get the matching units but for a basement that can be closed off it is a non issue.

It's been 2 year and the Duet is still going strong.

Chris Walls
01-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Art

Check out Staber Industries. WWW.Staber.com (http://www.Staber.com)

A friend has a set and it will be our next set of washer's and dryers.

Chris

Art Mulder
02-01-2008, 7:24 AM
Art

Check out Staber Industries. WWW.Staber.com (http://www.Staber.com)

A friend has a set and it will be our next set of washer's and dryers.

Chris,

Before you make a purchase, do check out Consumer's Reports (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/washing-machines/washers-2-08/overview/washers-and-dryers-ov.htm). (And other reviews). I noticed that they mentioned that the rather unique Staber design "significantly reduces capacity." With four kids, I need something that is as big as possible.

Matt Meiser
02-01-2008, 7:40 AM
I saw something that looks very similar to the Staber units at Lowes but made by Fisher and Paykal--"assembled in the USA" too.

Brian Elfert
02-01-2008, 8:27 AM
I bought a matching set of Maytag Neptune washer and dryer, but not really sure why. The washer has all the technology in it. The dryer is nothing special.

Maytag did have a recall or something on the motor, but the recall expired before my motor died. Luckily I got a 5 year extended warranty for like $50.

K. L. McReynolds
02-01-2008, 8:25 PM
Always had one or the other die---so only bought replacement machine---until they dryer went adjustable feet up on a Friday----and the washer evidently died in a sympathy move.

We, in Kansas City, Kansas, have a Nebraska Furniture Mart---(also in Omaha)

A neighbor owed me a favor---and he just happened to work delivering appliances for NFM---so he got a friends and family discount on a matched Roper combo. Best dryer we ever had---auto dry cycle its determined by a moisture sensor and has a cool down period at the end. I've forgotten to unload permanent press pants for up to three hours after cycle finishes and minimal wrinkling.

Roper is made by Whirlpool, so seems to be a good investment.

Brian Elfert
02-01-2008, 8:44 PM
I bought a matched pair because I was moving into my first house which was new construction with no appliances.

I'm now selling my house to move to a house with more land (for a shop) and I suspect the washer/dryer will end up being a bargaining chip and staying behind. Carrying the washer up the stairs was torture and I don;t want to do it again.

James Jaragosky
02-02-2008, 1:27 AM
Amen on the pedestals, James. They were on my list from the beginning, even though they slightly complicate the overflow pan. (2nd floor laundry) Nothing a few hockey pucks will not take care of...just have to raise the dryer an equal amount. I'm looking forward to not having to bend over much at all while dealing with the laundry as I do now with the old stuff still in the basement. That partial bending over is probably the hardest thing for one's back going, IMHO.
why didn't someone think of that before. most of the laundry is generated upstairs. what a time saver.

Matt Meiser
02-02-2008, 9:31 AM
We have long term plans to reclaim our laundry room into more space for a large walk-in closet. Our ideas was that the washer/dryer will be in the closet, probably stacked. I've since heard more than once that that is a current trend in homebuilding.

The drawback to an upstairs unit is that a broken hose or washer leak can cause major damage throughout the house--hence Jim's overflow pan. Jim-are you putting in one of those auto-shutoff valves too?

Jim Becker
02-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Jim-are you putting in one of those auto-shutoff valves too?

Yes, for the extra $250 or so, there is an electrically controlled auto-shutoff valve involved in our new laundry room. In the scope of our entire project, that expense is almost unnoticeable, yet the potential benefit is great. Dealing with the pan drain was a piece of cake with new construction, too.

At my previous home, I turned the very small 4th bedroom into a laundry after closing on the home. The builder refused to do it, so I had to wait until after the fact. But it was so much better than doing two full sets of steps. When we were planning for the addition here, there was no question that the laundry was moving from the basement (and its very low ceiling) to the second floor.

Brian Elfert
02-02-2008, 11:36 AM
My laundry room is on the second floor where all the bedrooms are. This is one of the things the designer insisted upon and is a great idea. I do have a drain pan under the washer.

James Jaragosky
02-02-2008, 1:15 PM
I worked for a home builder for the last 3 years and almost without exception all the 2 story homes had the laundry rooms located on the 2nd floor.
of the 100+ homes I put up, only one person wanted a lower level laundry room. it is just too convenient to have the laundry room near the source.

Art Mulder
02-04-2008, 9:38 PM
Just bit of closure that I felt like adding...

I posted the same query on two forums - Sawmill creek, and Canadian Woodworking. Both had, I thought, an incredible amount of traffic for an off-topic discussion about laundry machines. 679 views on SMC, and 1167 views on CWW, both having around 50 posts.

But what was curious, was the type of responses. I did not put up a poll, but as I flipped around between the forums it seemed to me that the two forums were lining up on opposite sides.

So I just now pulled out pencil and paper and flipped through all the discussions on both forums, and this is what I found:
On Canadian woodworking, I counted about 14 votes on the "UnMatched" versus about 3 votes for "Yes I'd buy matched".
On Sawmillcreek, I counted about 9 votes for "Yes, buy matched" versus about 5 votes for "Nah, unmatched is fine".

(all of those numbers are "about" as sometimes I had to make a judgement call -- ie: someone has a matched pair but wouldn't buy one today if they had to. Or the reverse.)

Hmm, so are the CWW folks more frugal? Are matched machines cheaper in the states? Or does this mean anything at all? (Not exactly a statistical sampling, after all.) I just found it curious.

Oh well,
...art

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 8:50 AM
It's not exactly a scientifically valid sampling, but interesting, nonetheless. But it appears to me that for some folks aesthetics play an important (subjective) role in the decision as much as pure functional factors (more objective). Some folks pointed out that location would have bearing on that...visible=matched desirable; hidden=unmatched ok. And the point made that for some higher-end products, matched might provide functional advantages with load timing. (Not that some of us remember to change the loads when we should...err...LOL)

Of course, the bottom line is...do the clothes get clean and fresh as a daisy? :D

Kyle Kraft
02-05-2008, 9:02 AM
Hi Art,

I can only talk from experience and the advice from a contact who works there, If it was me, I'd steer clear of Whirlpool and the companies that they own ( Maytag, Amana, Kitchenaid, Kenmore, et al) Their CS leaves much to be desired and planned obsolecence seems to be a rule of thumb.

As for the matching thing, I'd run the old girl till she drops.