PDA

View Full Version : Scarlett Oak Bowl with a History

Tony De Masi
01-30-2008, 10:02 AM
This is a Scarlett Oak bowl which measures 8 3/4 x 1 3/4. Finished with Minwax Antique Oil and then buffed.

The history of the wood is as such. The tree was planted in April of 1860 by the grandson of former President Andrew Jackson on the north grounds of the White House. The tree came down in a storm in late October of 2007 and I was fortunate enough to get some from the National Park Service at the White House.

I wouldn't say this is my best work but nothing I could have done would out do the provenance of the tree.

Tony

Rich Stewart
01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Wow! great score. I remember when that old elm fell at the white house everybody said it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get a piece. Great looking bowl.

Robert McGowen
01-30-2008, 10:30 AM
from the National Park Service at the White House.
Tony

And some of us just have connections with the local tree trimmer! :D

Very nice bowl. Something for show and tell for sure.

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Great work Tony! Glad to see something of historical value continue to live on!

Glenn Hodges
01-30-2008, 11:04 AM
That is something to treasure.

Tom Sherman
01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
An awesome opportunity and well done too.

Paul Engle
01-30-2008, 1:25 PM
Very nicely done Tony, are you going to offer it to the Whitehouse?

Mark Patoka
01-30-2008, 1:36 PM
I too remember seeing the news when that tree blew down and immediately thought of the turning possiblities. Good job and congrats on having the "connection".

robert hainstock
01-30-2008, 2:05 PM
What they said.:D:D:D:D
Bob

Tony De Masi
01-30-2008, 3:26 PM
I actually made two of these bowls which will go to my kids. The history of them are printed on the bottom of each one.

The White House itself will not accept this back as a gift. My next piece I will offer to a gentlemen who has been the National Park Service supervisor at the White House for 58 years, and the one who gave me the ok to have some of the wood.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2008, 4:00 PM
Great bowl Tony with some great history.

George Morris
01-30-2008, 4:20 PM
Nice history, great contact, the bowl will make him happy! Good job!!

Ben Gastfriend
01-30-2008, 6:48 PM
Great job on that bowl. Now you own a piece of history.

If you get past the White House gates now and get near a piece of wood, a bunch of cameras would probably pop out and the secret service would probably apprehend you... "I just wanted to get some wood! I'm a woodturner!"... "Yeah we've heard that one before... oh... no, we really havn't!"

Tony De Masi
01-30-2008, 7:14 PM
Ben Gastfriend;Great job on that bowl. Now you own a piece of history.

If you get past the White House gates now and get near a piece of wood, a bunch of cameras would probably pop out and the secret service would probably apprehend you... "I just wanted to get some wood! I'm a woodturner!"... "Yeah we've heard that one before... oh... no, we really havn't!"[/quote]

I had to laugh at that one Ben. Earlier this month I retired as the Deputy Chief of the Secret Service at the White House.:D