PDA

View Full Version : The fence factor:Tablesaw quandary

Tim Allaire
01-30-2008, 9:54 AM
How much is it worth to buy a tablesaw for the fence? I know it is a factor, but should looking for a fence be a factor over horsepower, weight, trunnions, top, dust collection? Maybe there is no true answer? I am debating the difference between a Jet Pro (with jet fence) or the craftsman zip-code "contractor style" with (with cheap sears knock-off).

Has anybody bought a saw only for the benefit of the fence?

keith ouellette
01-30-2008, 9:58 AM
I would think the fence should come in last in the decision because it is something you can upgrade. The rest of the saw is going to be around for life.

Lee Koepke
01-30-2008, 10:02 AM
keith is correct, IMO

if you find a saw and need an upgraded fence PM me.

Tim Allaire
01-30-2008, 10:04 AM
The only problem with buying a saw for $600 is that a great fence could cost have as much as the saw itself. I wont be seeing money like this for quite some time. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Lee Koepke
01-30-2008, 10:07 AM
The only problem with buying a saw for $600 is that a great fence could cost have as much as the saw itself. I wont be seeing money like this for quite some time. Otherwise, I agree with you.
i bought my 50" beismeyer homeshop fence for 150 ish, if i recall ... my grizz came with a 30" shopfox classic (sim to beis design) and i didnt bother taking it out of the box.

NICK BARBOZA
01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
well i wouldnt buy a craftsman either way. i think you would be better off with the JET. a quality fence is key but the guys are right it can be upgraded later. i have 2 biesemeyers and they are GREAT! my "home" one cost about $200 but my larger "commercial" one was closer to $350 i think... worth every penny.