PDA

View Full Version : Slot mortiser

Tom Godley
01-30-2008, 8:43 AM
I have been looking at a powermatic mortiser -- in another thread a slot mortiser was pointed out for around 1k.

I did not look at any slot mortiser because they are always more than I would ever spend - but this one is not that much more.

But I have never used one -- not sure I have ever seen one!

What are the reasons to have one over the other.

Are there reasons why they would not work as well for some projects?

Thanks - just when you think you have one picked out :)

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2008, 9:59 AM
Laguna I presume? I looked at their slot mortiser, and tried to buy one. No luck, none in the country. Wouldn't be until March I think. Tried to buy a Felder for nearly five times as much. That failed miserably too. I hate these companies resale structure. I will buy one, but I will just find one in person to buy.

As to why, one of the best reason I can come up with is loose tenons.

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Tom, I don't recall if you've made a jointer and planer decision, but the J/P combos from folks like MiniMax and Felder have a slot mortiser attachment available that adds additional utility to these workstations. Some even have them on the back side which means they are not in the way when you are using the tool for other purposes. I don't have that option on my J/P due to space, but have used Mark Singer's during a 'Creeker visit. Sweet...

Tom Godley
01-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Steve:

Yes Laguna -- did not call them-- nice to know none around :(
The disk sander looks like a good value also - wish I could go and see someplace

Steven Wilson
01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Tom, the slot mortiser works very well with floating tennon joinery. Mill up tennon stock (say 3/8" thick, 2" wide, rounded both sides), cut it to length as needed, and just use the mortiser on everything. It works quite well and the mortiser is usually a fairly reasonable additional cost to a jointer/planner combo or a five function machine. If I were choosing today I would probably go with the Festool Domino over a dedicated slot mortiser.

Tom Godley
01-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Steve - Thanks for the input.

I need the unit to make some "arts and crafts' style cabinets and trim.

So I will be making through tennons and false tennons -- I also want to repair a few large doors that I will need to mortise parts for.

I just do not fully understand units operation.

Steven Wilson
01-30-2008, 2:18 PM
Tom, the Powermatic mortisers operate vertically (head moves up and down) and they're used with bits that make square edges. A horizontal mortiser uses bits that leave round edges and operates horizontally (head stays still, table moves). The Powermatic mortisers would be much better suited to what I think you want to do than the horizontal mortisers Jim and I are talking about. The Powermatic mortisers operate in a similar maner as you and I do when we're choping mortises by hand.

Mike Wilkins
01-30-2008, 2:42 PM
Check out Invicta Machinery. I think they are sold from NC. Look at Exfactory under the new machinery listing, or check the boring machines/mortisers in the pre-owned section. Probably more reasonable in price and availability.
Good luck.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2008, 9:58 PM
Laguna had a shipment coming in this spring, if you are patient. If you really want to see something crazy, check out a Maka mortiser.

If you want a slot mortiser configuration in your machine but with square mortises, Felder sells an attachment. Don't know why, but...

Laguna and Rojek move the table of the slot mortiser, and Felder and Hammer move the head of the machine. Can't imagine that one works better than the other, just different ways to approach the issue at hand. Slot mortisers can also be used to dowel, drill regularly spaced holes, and a whole bunch of other "boring" applications, while the hollow chisel mortiser has one function. I chose the slot mortiser, just having problems with the actual aquisition process...