PDA

View Full Version : I finally quit wasting time looking for a bargain mortising chisel...

James Carmichael
03-04-2004, 3:41 PM
and ordered the 3/8" 2-cherries.

I'm in the midst of a project where I'll be joining some cabinet-facing for a bookshelf and decided proud through-tenons would add a nice touch (as well as adding probably an extra 2-weeks to an already way past-schedule project :D )

The Dieffenbacher(sp?) website has an interesting comparison of the Two-Cherries to their English-made mortising chisels. Quality-wise, it looks like no contest, the 2-cherries blades are almost 2x as thick.

Can't wait to start choppin.

Marc Hills
03-04-2004, 4:47 PM
and ordered the 3/8" 2-cherries.

Hi James:

I'm very interested in hearing about your initial impressions regarding the Two-Cherries and how your initial efforts at mortises go. What kind of wood are you working with?

Naturally we expect to see pictures . . . .

Steven Wilson
03-04-2004, 4:57 PM
You'll like the TC mortising chisels. BTW you'll need to sharpen these by hand (no grinders); it's easy to do but you'll find that you really need to free hand sharpen these things.

James Carmichael
03-04-2004, 5:28 PM
You'll like the TC mortising chisels. BTW you'll need to sharpen these by hand (no grinders); it's easy to do but you'll find that you really need to free hand sharpen these things.

Marc,

I'm working with hard maple to make face-framing for a built-in bookshelf. The side face-framing will be about 3 to 3 1/4" wide, the proud tenons will be a hair longer.

Was going to join with pocket hole screws and be done with it, but you guys have been a bad influence on me, if LOML ever finds out I bought another tool and will be taking longer on this project, she's gonna block SMC (or would if she knew how, but I'm the computer nerd in the family) :D

Steve,

I'm all hand on sharpening anyway, but I will be EXTRA careful with this puppy.

FWIW, I ordered from ToolsForWoodworking.com (not highland hardware, which is Tools-For-Woodworking.com) and got shipping notice within the hour.

Steven Wilson
03-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Marc,
I'm all hand on sharpening anyway, but I will be EXTRA careful with this puppy.

FWIW, I ordered from ToolsForWoodworking.com (not highland hardware, which is Tools-For-Woodworking.com) and got shipping notice within the hour.

No need to be carefull sharpening these, they're fairly indistructable and it's real easy to find the bevel. I didn't know that Highland Hardware (www.tools-for-woodworking.com) carried Two Cherries chisels (they carry Hirsch). I usually get my Two Cherries chisels from Joel at Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com)

James Carmichael
03-05-2004, 4:18 PM
No need to be carefull sharpening these, they're fairly indistructable and it's real easy to find the bevel. I didn't know that Highland Hardware (www.tools-for-woodworking.com) carried Two Cherries chisels (they carry Hirsch). I usually get my Two Cherries chisels from Joel at Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com)

Yes, that's what I mean't, I ordered from www.toolsforworkingwood.com. So that's the "Joel" I see referenced out there? Good, now that I don't have to remember them by URL, I won't get so :confused: with HH.

Are Hirsch the same as TC? I've read that the steel is the same. The thing that impressed me enough about TC to spend the extra bucks were the specs listed on the Dieffenbacher website. The TC blades appears to be way thicker than anything else.

Wendell Wilkerson
03-05-2004, 9:13 PM
Yes, that's what I mean't, I ordered from www.toolsforworkingwood.com. So that's the "Joel" I see referenced out there? Good, now that I don't have to remember them by URL, I won't get so :confused: with HH.

Are Hirsch the same as TC? I've read that the steel is the same. The thing that impressed me enough about TC to spend the extra bucks were the specs listed on the Dieffenbacher website. The TC blades appears to be way thicker than anything else.

Just to mess with your head, apparently www.toolsforwoodworking.com (without the hyphens) is also Joel's store URL.

I heard the same info about Hirsch and Two Cherries being the same steel. If you look at the Hirsch mortice chisels sold by Highland Hardware, they look identical to the Two Cherries chisels you bought. The best proof I've read was from Bill Tindall on the WC board. Bill knows the US distributor for Two Cherries. The distributor has visitied the factory and says the Hirsch and Two Cherries are identical steel. So now you can say you heard it from a guy who heard it from guy who heard it from a guy who went to the factory :)

Wendell

Mark Singer
03-05-2004, 9:32 PM
James,
Hirsch and Two Cherries are the same in Paring chisels...I am not sure about mortise chisels. The Two Cherries are very heavy , stout chisels. I am happy to see you are going with quality joinery on this piece...in the end it is really what makes it fine woodworking. You will always look at it and feel it was hand built and done correctly....It is a sence of pride that only hand joinery can bring and with it comes confidence to approach each future project with the same spirit!

James Carmichael
03-10-2004, 6:45 PM
Well, the TC came yesterday, been too busy to do anything but admire it yet. I was clueless as to how massive these things are.

I had bid $1.00 on a Marples chisel on Ebay from the seller who is liquidating the Record tools. They have them mislabeled as bevel-edge, the M377. After looking at the pic, I knew it was no bench chisel. Anyway, was pleasantly surprised to open up a Sash mortise chisel when the package came. No one is bidding on these things on Ebay, so for $1.00 + 8.95 shipping, that's still an inexpensive mortising chisel. Anyway, the Marples is dwarfed by the 3/8" TC!!

Too busy to use either right now, so will keep you all posted.