PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood, Movie Stars

Raymond Overman
01-29-2008, 10:42 PM
My wife emailed a local cable station and suggested that my woodturning might be the subject on a local interest 30 minute talk show late last year. The host wrote back and said that her 2007 schedule was full but that she would possibly call in 2008. Well, she didn't wait long into 2008. She called today and we're shooting next Tuesday.

The kicker is, she wanted to do the shoot in MY SHOP, or as she called it, my studio. Needless to say, I haven't exactly been cleaning up behind myself for the last few turning sessions and there are shavings and dust everywhere. I've just spent quite a bit of time working towards finding the floor and I guess tomorrow night I get to try to find the top of my workbench. I did do a lot of culling and filled a trash bag with stuff that my usual pack rat mind would say, "Hmm, I'll use that someday." I also took the time to unclog my dust collector pipes so I could use it to clean up some shavings.

Now, I just hope she doesn't come all fancied up in a nice dress or suit. She'll have a rude awakening when I start throwing chips around. I'm going to have to email her and warn her. Anyway, I'm excited and looking forward to seeing the show. Oh, and just one more time...

I'M GONNA BE ON TV

and it ain't cops this time.

Skip Spaulding
01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Good for You! Don't get nervous and forget to tighten the tail stock down. What are you going to turn for her? Good Luck!:D

Richard Madison
01-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Raymond,
That is so cool! You're going to be a celebrity. I love it. Well done, Raymond's wife.

My wife volunteers me for stuff too (he will be happy to clean out that sewer line for you).

Raymond Overman
01-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Sounds like you got yourself a good one there Richard. Mine did pretty good too.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Congrats Raymond! Always happy to hear when good things happen to the people I've gotten to know here on the Creek! Have fun with it!

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Congrat Raymond.

michael gallagher
01-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Congrats...I expect to see it posted online somewhere so we can all watch!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Congrats Raymond!

We'll be able to say we knew Raymond before he became a big TV star......got his own show......"As Raymond Turns"......Sounds like a soap doesn't it?:rolleyes:

Mike Vickery
01-30-2008, 2:46 AM
congrats Raymond

Tom Sherman
01-30-2008, 3:18 AM
All right Raymond, you may be hosting that shoot in a small place now, just wait six months, you'll probably be building a 40'x40' shop.:D

Bob Hallowell
01-30-2008, 6:25 AM
Awesome!!!!

Bob

Mike A. Smith
01-30-2008, 8:33 AM
That's great Raymond! My wife has done some local TV with her wildlife education stuff and when she used to work for the zoo and if you ask they will probably let you have a tape. We'll expect to see the highlights on youtube!

robert hainstock
01-30-2008, 9:31 AM
NO no TV show, but I just (under threat from LOML) found the top of my bench and the floor around my lathe this week. Now if I could just find the time to clean up that wood pile!! :eek::eek:
Bob

Jim Becker
01-30-2008, 9:34 AM
Don't worry about making things "spotless". You actually work in there! And enjoy the shoot. Congratulations!

Pete Jordan
01-30-2008, 9:40 AM
Wow Raymond!

I am so excited for you. I know the show will be so well received!

Jeff Bower
01-30-2008, 9:45 AM
Congrats Raymond...that should get your name out there!

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2008, 9:52 AM
Cool.

When does the cement pond go in?

Bill Wyko
01-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Good going Raymond. Make sure they give you a copy of the show. Then post it on youtube.:)

Glenn Hodges
01-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey Raymond, put a copy of it on Utube.

Barry Stratton
01-30-2008, 11:22 AM
That is GREAT Raymond! Congrats.

Now, I just hope she doesn't come all fancied up in a nice dress or suit. She'll have a rude awakening when I start throwing chips around. I'm going to have to email her and warn her.

uhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....given the name of your website, you might want to let her know you don't really turn in the buff as well.....................................who knows what she's expecting to see:D

Michael Armstrong
01-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Congrats Raymond. If the shop is too clean she'll think maybe somebody else does the work. Shavings and dust will add "atmosphere" to the shoot.

Michael

Steve Busey
01-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I think I've seen that show - 'Everybody Loves Raymond'! Congrats, superstar!

Ted Calver
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Congratulations Raymond! Don't forget to use the word 'absolutely' as a replacement for 'yes' at least 10 times during the course of the show, just like the big boys:)

Raymond Overman
01-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

I'll absolutely ask for a copy. I don't even have anything that will play a tape anymore so it would have to be on DVD for me to get it to YouTube. I don't know what the copyright ramifications would be wither so I'll have to check on it.

If nothing else, I'll DVR it at the house and might be able to pull the video from there.

Don Orr
01-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Way to go Raymond ! Good for you and good for woodturning in general.

Break a leg as they say!

steven carter
01-30-2008, 1:25 PM
Way to go Raymond!! Any chance they can post it on utube?

Allen Neighbors
01-30-2008, 2:06 PM
Congratulations, Raymond. Can't wait to see it. Be sure an put the station's info on here. Some of us may be able to satellite it in.?????
Good going! You've got a special lady there.

Raymond Overman
01-30-2008, 3:08 PM
The station is in York County, SC (CN2 or Tri-County 14). I'm not sure if the show is limited to Comporium Cable subscribers or if some Time Warner Cable subscribers get the station too. I think that it's going to be a very local affair, but still, it's pretty cool.

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2008, 3:57 PM
You GO Raymond..!!!!!

Do us real proud now...ya hear?! :D :D :D :D :D :cool:

David Wilhelm
01-30-2008, 5:28 PM
OK man, Give it up, Is it Dr Phil or Jerry Springer? You go guy. Let me know so i can watch it.

Ben Gastfriend
01-30-2008, 6:38 PM
CONGRATS! That is awsome! You should see if you could get a DVD copy, and get it on Youtube or somewhere else online!

P.S. I think I saw you last night on Cops! You where the one arrested for assault with a bowl gouge!

Harvey Mushman
01-30-2008, 7:13 PM
Make sure you ask the cameraman if he is shooting U-bits, record-run or free-run time code. Also, in the case of more than 1 photog, make sure the gen-lock is operational. That will really impress him.

FWIW - If this is a cable access show, the crew may not have a clue as to what you might be talking about!

Harvey

Tom Hamilton
01-30-2008, 8:12 PM
Raymond, don't forget to put a sign in the background, always visible while you are turning, with the name of your studio and PHONE NUMBER.

The calls will flood in for custom pieces I'm sure.

Good luck, Tom

Dave Sinkus
01-30-2008, 8:45 PM
Make sure she gets to turn a bit and force her into the vortex......now there's a news story

Mike Peace
01-30-2008, 9:35 PM
Bad boys - Bad boys. What you gonna do? Whatch gonna do when...

Sounds like fun!

Raymond Overman
01-30-2008, 9:56 PM
Make sure she gets to turn a bit and force her into the vortex......now there's a news story

I had already thought of trying to get her to take a turn (no pun intended but now that it's out there) on the lathe.

I did finish up purtying up the shop tonight though. Now I've got to hit the high spots under the shelter in case I can't steer them clear of a shot at that too. I want to have all the options open for them.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and support. Ya'll are a good crowd no matter what your friends say about you. I'll update everyone on Tuesday after the shoot hopefully with some pictures.

Curt Fuller
01-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey, a remake of 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.

Congratulations!

Ken Salisbury
01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I was fortunte to do have done some real live shots in my shop for the Freedom Pen Project, 4 episodes on 3 different stations over a period of a year. Some actually were quite long, although resulting actual "air" time was realtively short.

Just be yourself, don't clean the shop, it should look like working space.

The film crew absolutely loved it and some of them became customers.

The exposure fo FPP was fabulous and made the project well known in the commmunity. ---- The Power Of The Press

Alex Elias
01-30-2008, 11:03 PM
That is way cool. Don't forget to use safety glases. What are you foing to turn? Any thoughts?

Raymond Overman
01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
That is way cool. Don't forget to use safety glases. What are you foing to turn? Any thoughts?

I'll probably turn a nice little natural edge bowl. That's something I can turn out fairly quickly and it's a little more interesting than just a bowl. Plus, I've done that demonstration enough that I shouldn't have any trouble talking about it as much as she wants me to.

I've got to find a nice fresh piece of cherry or pear this weekend to turn so I get nice long curlies coming off the end of that gouge! :)

Joe Melton
01-31-2008, 1:09 AM
Man, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but there is no woman from a tv station. The woman who called is a friend of your wife's, who is sick and tired of your mess.
Trust me on this - I understand women.
Joe

Gary Herrmann
01-31-2008, 5:41 AM
Good for you Raymond, if you're gonna turn fresh cut wood, just have her and the camerman stand out of the line of fire, so they don't get wet. 'Course it could make things more interesting if she gets a bit on her and you just turn and look at her and say "What?".

Raymond Overman
01-31-2008, 7:01 AM
Man, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but there is no woman from a tv station. The woman who called is a friend of your wife's, who is sick and tired of your mess.
Trust me on this - I understand women.
Joe

So, it's just an elaborate conspiracy to get me in the shop? I don't think my wife has to go to that kind of trouble to do that. Of course, I'll get my tin foil hat out just in case. :eek:

Tom Sherman
01-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Ray I just had a thought make sure to wear a Sawmill Creek Tee-shirt

Ron McKinley
01-31-2008, 9:55 PM
Congratulations. After it's over and you're a big star post the link to the show so all of us can enjoy it!

Mick Zelaska
02-08-2008, 1:59 PM
Too bad you had to clean up your shop. Probably took you a long time to get the wood chips just the way you wanted them. Now you'll have to start all over again! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif