PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking in Connecticut

Dan Mages
01-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Good evening all!

Now that Wifey and I are in CT and slowly getting settled, I need to get myself oriented. We are just west of New Haven, almost in Woodbridge. For those in the area, what are the really good independent tool and hardware stores in the area? What about hardwood and millwork shops? Any other woodworking or home improvement related references I should know about?

Thanks!!

Dan

Dave Anderson NH
01-30-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm sure you'll get some great response Dan. Short of NH and the eastern PA area, CT rocks when it comes to woodworking stores, schools, and lumberyards. You are going to be really happy.

Mike Cutler
01-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Dan

Without getting into specifics. You literally have everything at your fingertips.
I can't imagine many things not available somewhere between NY City and New Haven.
Ben Grunow is at the western end of the state, I'm at the Eastern end of the state, with Lou Sansone, and Rob Russell is in the Hartford area, I think Windsor.
There are more 'Creekers in Ct also. Dave Avery comes to mind, and I distinctly remember someone in the Milford area.

Woodcraft in Manchester has the Ct. School of Woodworking.

There is a fairly large domestic hardwood supplier,and millworks in Windsor, I can't remember the name "CGWH", or something like that. maybe Rob Russell knows exactly.
I also have a domestic hardwood supplier about 1/2 mile from my house in Griswold.

My wife was born and raised in New Haven, and knows the area fairly well.
I was born and raised in So. Cal, and moved here in 1978. I love living here. ('cept for the taxes though:eek:). So much opportunity within driving distance.
Do not hesitate to PM me with any specific questions.

Rob Russell
01-30-2008, 2:39 PM
Yep - I'm in South Windsor (other side of the CT river from Windsor).

Connecticut Wood Group is in Enfield and has a large stock of wood. Harris Enterprises in Manchester spun off their lumber operation - I don't have the name of that new operation here.

Ben Grunow
01-30-2008, 7:16 PM
I am in Darien (between Stamford and Greenwich) and here are the few that come to mind.

Rings End Lumber for lumber (cherry/maple/teak/cedar/redwood/red oak/pine all S4S) and anything you need for your house or job (I am a builder and buy most of my materials from them- better than Borg)

Woodcraft in Norwalk- this location is also a Woodworkers CLub with rentable shop time

Brians Tools in Enfield (I think- they sold me my Sawstop- google them to be sure)

Condon's Lumber in White Plains, NY- if you need it they will get it- any type of wood in any size (once saw a trailer load of mahogany timbers that were 6" x about 20" in 12' to 30' lengths there!!!!!)

Hope that helps and welcome to CT. Hope you dont mind the traffic.
Let me know if I can helpl you with anything else.

Ben