PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly- go462 On Roids!!!!

Christopher Hunter
01-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I havn't been tuning in a few months and I finally got around to the Project I have been wanting to do ever since I purchased this lathe...
Problem was that it was too fast for what I wanted to do, so I decided to Get a 3phase motor, VFD, pulleys and belt and start from scratch.
So here it is --

All comments welcome >>>
Now if only I had an idea for an outboard stand???? HMMMMM??? If you have a homemade stand and wish to share I would be greatful.

Thanks for looking
--Chris

Skip Spaulding
01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Upgrade looks good. How is it working ?
Plans for outboard rest are in Woodturning Design Winter 2008 issue#16.

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Wow. Yep it looks like it will handle the job just fine. What hp is the motor? Great job.

Allen Neighbors
01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Sure looks different from my Old Griz! Looks good!
Outboard turning toolrest: I broke two banjos trying to use the Grizzly tool rest extension.
I saw pictures of one that a man made for his lathe. I think it was on Wood Central General Woodturning forum. He had a pipe that "elled" or "teed" out of his banjo, extended about 3' out to a hole in a 2x4 leg that stood on the floor. It could be swung to any position you wanted it, I believe, just by loosening the banjo, and moving the leg to the appropriate spot. If you do a search in the WC Archives, you should be able to find it. 2006 or 2007.

Christopher Hunter
01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
the motor is a 3 Phase,230v 2Hp
and that baby is 63 lbs ...
wasn't quite sure how is was going to be held so I had a friend make a side shelf to support it and it is simply attached by a few bolts to the headstock

Tom Sherman
01-30-2008, 3:04 AM
Looks like it ought to get er done Chris.

Paul Engle
01-30-2008, 10:10 AM
GE never looked so gooodddd . !!! Right on

Stephen Massman
01-30-2008, 3:18 PM
How much did the upgrade cost. I have been wanting to something similar to my Jet 1236.

thanks
Steve Massman
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I havn't been tuning in a few months and I finally got around to the Project I have been wanting to do ever since I purchased this lathe...
Problem was that it was too fast for what I wanted to do, so I decided to Get a 3phase motor, VFD, pulleys and belt and start from scratch.
So here it is --

All comments welcome >>>
Now if only I had an idea for an outboard stand???? HMMMMM??? If you have a homemade stand and wish to share I would be greatful.

Thanks for looking
--Chris

Ben Gastfriend
01-30-2008, 6:52 PM
Wow! Nice lathe. I'm sure that motor will get the job done.

Christopher Hunter
01-30-2008, 6:52 PM
It normally should cost 4-$500, but I had to upgrade my electricity as wellso mine cost a bit more than it should
-
the hard part was getting the pulley to match the shaft diameter on the headstock
In your case though with a Jet 1236 I would buy a new lathe that had a VFD, IMO The 1236 is a bit small to need a vfd. I wasn't really doing it to save a buck, cause it didn't save me much overall ($400 for the lathe and $500 for the upgrade)..
I just didn't want to buy a new lathe and upgrade my electric all at once..
I like my lathe but I will be upgrading to a powrematic in a couple of years..this was just to tide me over till then....
--Chris

Bill Lantry
01-30-2008, 7:13 PM
Chris,

I'm jealous! Great work!

A couple questions:

Did you keep the reeves drive, or throw it overboard?

The spindle on the stock motor is pretty long... did you find one to match?

Does it still pivot?

Are you worried that VFDs don't get along well with vibration?

Thanks,

Bill

Christopher Hunter
01-30-2008, 7:27 PM
The reeves drive is long gone,
The plate that I had made to mount the motor, is able to position the motor closer to the headstock so the normal motor shafts work just fine.
It can pivot all the way around if I want it to, just like normal.
I seem to have no trouble at all with vibration now...
6 months ago I had a piece that was way out of balance and heavy and it pulled the anchors for the lathe out of the concrete., So at that point I decided to eliminate doing that again, but now the lathe goes down to 0 rpms so there is no vibration problem at all.
I was able to upgrade the belt as well from the original design so now the only way I could lose torque is by stopping the drive...This drive has some good features, like it will stop the motor if it runs too many amps , not sure if all VFDs do that but I like that feature.