PDA

View Full Version : Strange Squiggles

Eric Allen
01-29-2008, 6:49 PM
Ok, this is new. A little background. This is a cermarked piece of metal. These lines are vector lines. The squiggles only occur on the Y motions, X is nice and smooth. They developed when I'm pressed for time, of course. Each of these is a square drawn in Corel X3 with rounded corners. The one on top is a single line, the lower one is a triple line. I suspect something in my machine, just not quite sure what. The machine has exceedingly low hours, so I shouldn't be having parts failure, but since the warranty goes out this month, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised if it were:)

Dan Hintz
01-29-2008, 7:27 PM
The lower control bit for the Y-axis could be going wonky, though it's pretty repeatable back and forth, so I'd say that's not it. Are you using a leadscrew? If so, a more likely candidate would be the bushing has opened up and you have some slop in the carriage... see if you can wiggle it every so slightly with your hand. If you can, the motor can't compensate for the mechanical slop. I'll keep thinking about it, though...

Eric Allen
01-29-2008, 7:56 PM
Epilog uses belt drives, on the Y axis they are bound by a rod across the front. Nothing feels exceptionally loose, though I may just not be checking the right place. There has always been a little deflection in that connecting rod, but nothing that would translate to something of this frequency. It's more like a binding every rotation. It's an odd one, no doubt.

Mitchell Andrus
01-29-2008, 9:18 PM
Looks like a mirror is loose. Check 'em and tighten them all. Check all of the mirror mounts too. A miniscule vibration deep in the machine will be more pronounced at the lens.

Sam Yerardi
01-29-2008, 9:25 PM
I'm not sure what kind of laser you are using but if it is using a galvo, it could be a problem in the galvo drive. I would have it looked at before the warranty runs out.

Eric Allen
01-29-2008, 9:31 PM
Looks like a mirror is loose. Check 'em and tighten them all. Check all of the mirror mounts too. A miniscule vibration deep in the machine will be more pronounced at the lens.

Would a mirror likely cause a problem in just one axis? I'll certainly check 'em, any port in a storm:) It's a new lens/mirror assembly, so there's a chance something wasn't quite right from the factory.

Bart Walchuk
01-30-2008, 3:40 AM
I have this problem or brain fart at least a couple of times a year. Make sure that you put your outside rulers down after you add or remove the
vector or engraving tables. They end up binding on the axis arm.

Eric Allen
01-30-2008, 4:05 AM
We can rule out the rulers:)

Mike Null
01-30-2008, 5:43 AM
Are the belts and pulleys clean?

Peck Sidara
01-30-2008, 9:58 AM
Eric,

Something's causing the y-axis to bind up while moving down on the line.

Or

It could also be something in the x-axis. When the head is moving down in the y-axis, the engraving head may be vibrating causing the squiggles.

Tough one to resolve thru the forum. I recommend checking the following:

Check the y-axis belts (both left, right and motor belt) and make sure they're not loose (loose is relative, just make sure the tension's about the same). While you're there, check the set-screws for the y-motor pulley and y-axis drive pulleys.

For the x-axis, check the x-axis belt and tighten it up a bit if it feels too loose (remove left panel, adjustable arm to the left of the rail assembly).
Remove the I-beam cover and clean the x-axis encoder strip. We have a nice tutorial on our websites technical library that shows you how to do so.

If all the mechanics check out, it may be the amplifiers for the x or y driven motors, this would entail replacing the motherboard.

Oh, one last thing, call tech support (303.215.9171) this morning as they may have additional suggestions and can overnight you what ever parts are needed.

HTH,

Doug Griffith
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I had similar, albeit not as bad, "bumps" when cutting. I could grab the laser head and wiggle it in the x-axis on the linear rail. After receiving a replacement rail from Epilog, the problem went away.

Eric Allen
01-30-2008, 2:35 PM
I had similar, albeit not as bad, "bumps" when cutting. I could grab the laser head and wiggle it in the x-axis on the linear rail. After receiving a replacement rail from Epilog, the problem went away.

Hmmm...I've only gotten the right side thouroughly checked to this point from Peck's suggestions, happened to check this on the way to the other side. My laser head moves just the tiniest bit (but then, this is a tiny sized problem...) up and down in the rail. Small enough not to see the motion, just enough to feel a very tiny click or pop. Is that the same dimension yours moved in? To imagine it correctly, picture grabbing it from the side and rocking it from the front to the back of the machine. The set screws are tight, so I'm wondering if there's a bit of bearing play.

Doug Griffith
01-30-2008, 8:21 PM
You're right. Rocking the head from front to back on the y-axis linear guide. Mine wiggled so much it could be visually seen. The part must have been defective from the factory in Japan where it was made. Now there is still a wiggle but very little. I doubt it is the only problem you're having but it could compound the vibration from wherever it's coming from.

Good Luck