PDA

View Full Version : Country of Origin?

Robert foster
01-29-2008, 5:39 PM
Where do your tools originate. I looked at mine last night and it was all from China or Tiawan. I have even looked at DeWalt tools and most of them are from Mexico or China. Are there any tools that are made in the USA.

Bob

Adam Slutsky
01-29-2008, 6:30 PM
I believe that Powermatic is still made here - maybe in TN???

John Thompson
01-29-2008, 6:44 PM
Assembled here.. components are from well.... guess? :)

Sarge..

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2008, 6:50 PM
Lets see, planes, chisels, gouges, measuring equipment from England, Germany, France, Austria, Canada, USA, Japan, Taiwan, Australia, Checkoslavakia.

Machinery mostly from Canada, one from Taiwan, one from Austria.

Power tools from Japan, Canada, USA and Mexico.

So, all high quality stuff, all made all over the world, chosen because at the time I purchased it, I thought it was the best quality available.

I like to support the local manufacturers, that's why my machinery is mostly green, it's made in Canada where I live.

That said, the last purchase was a piece of Felder equipment, good quality stuff, not Canadian.

One thing many people fail to realize is that aside from patriotism or a preference to support the local economy, there isn't any reason to not purchase offshore equipment (Which in the case of the USA would include General). Country of origin doesn't guarantee quality, we've all purchased junk made in North America, and really precise, high quality stuff from Taiwan.

Quality is an engineering/quality control/marketing consideration, not a country of origin issue.

Consumers are price driven, if two pieces of equipment are designed/quality controlled equally, the made in Taiwan unit will be less expensive than the made in USA/Canada equipment, and every bit as good. Guess which one most people will purchase.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I still try to buy Canadian first, NA second, however it's not cost effective.

Steve Schoene
01-29-2008, 8:23 PM
You can buy a complete woodworking shop that is to a very large extent made in the USA. And, it is some of the best stuff around, from anywhere.

Northfield makes some very good stuff. Only problem--it's not pitched toward even well off amateurs or small commercial operations. For example the No. 4 Rolling Table Saw base model is $16,410 . The 20" Heavy Duty Bandsaw, well equipped, comes to about $11,000.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2008, 8:25 PM
USA, Taiwan and Italy......

Jim Becker
01-29-2008, 8:33 PM
I have tools from all over the world in my shop including made in North America. My big tools are from Italy (STS, J/P, BS) and Australia (Lathe) Other things are from Germany, Canada, USA, UK and yes, Asia. I don't purchase tools based on their point of origin or even their point of assembly. I choose them based on what my needs are and for the value I perceive they add to solving those needs.

Carroll Courtney
01-29-2008, 8:38 PM
Ahhhhhh,free trade

Steven Wilson
01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Large power tools (BS, J/P, STS, SH, M) Italy, Canada (lathe), Asia (sanders), US (DC). Handheld powertools - Germany, Asia. Handtools - USA, England, Japan, who knows.

Gary Breckenridge
01-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Just pick the country you want to send your future retirement money to and buy their tools.:mad: